"Temporary ASP.NET Files" Not Being Cleaned Up

John Saunders

I deploy web applications in what may be an odd manner. For every web site
"x", I have an "x2" web site which points to an empty directory. I can then
use Copy Project in VS.NET to deploy to the empty directory, and have the x2
site QA'd. I then switch over by creating a new empty directory for the next
time, and in IIS, pointing the x2 site to the new directory and finally
pointing the "x" site to the newly-deployed directory.

This works well, except that I now have over 900Mb in Temporary ASP.NET
Files! Examination of some of the source files shows that they are from old
deployment subdirectories.

Now, if I always deployed into the same directory, I expect that Temporary
ASP.NET Files would come to contain only the latest versions. Is it perhaps
the case that there is no cleanup mechanism to get it to realize that these
old deployment subdirectories no longer are associated with any Web
Application?

Also, is there a way to move Temporary ASP.NET Files to a different disk? We
tend to keep our C:\ drives small, and 900Mb is now significant.

Thanks,
John Saunders
Internet Engineer
(e-mail address removed)

Manfred Braun

Hi All,

I would like to verify this, bit I don't know, where these temporary
directories are. Could you please be so kind and tell me that?

Best regards,
Manfred Braun

(Private)
Mannheim
Germany

mailto:[email protected]
(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

John Saunders

These files are at "%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\temporary
asp.net files" (for Framework version 1.0).

John Saunders
(e-mail address removed)