Ten rules to becoming a Python community member.

rantingrick

Follow these simply rules to become an accepted member of the Python
community.

1. Bash rantingrick and Xah Lee every chance you get.

2. Bash people who bash rick or xah because their basing made rick's
or xah's words pass through your spam filter.

3. Post links to xkcd as often as you can. Don't worry if they have
been posted a thousand times, just post them because it equals "geek
cool points".

4. When the chance presents itself, make snide comments about lisp and
perl; but NEVER about Ruby! (even though Ruby is Perl's micro
minion!).

5. Use fancy words like "tail recursion", just because you read about
it on Guido's blog once (even if you have no idea what that means)!

6. Engage in heated and pointless discussions as to whether Python is
"pass-by-reference" or "pass-by-value" even if you have no idea what
the hell you are talking about.

7. Play devils advocate often e.g., If someone hates Tkinter: then
argue how great Tkinter is regardless of how much you actually care,
use, or know about the module. Likewise if someone likes Tkinter: then
argue how terrible Tkinter is and how Python does not need any GUI
library; again, regardless of how much you actually care, use, or know
about the module.

8. Use "e.g." as many times as you can! (e.g. e.g.) If you use "e.g."
more than ten times in a single post, you will get an invite to
Guido's next birthday party; where you'll be forced to do shots whist
walking the balcony railing wearing wooden shoes!

9. Never use the word "previously" or the phrase "in the past"; just
dumb it down with "used to".

10. Finally, if you get caught using the word "that" incredibly
excessively, just hope that nobody notices that that that you are
really GvR in disguise.

Seebs

Follow these simply rules to become an accepted member of the Python
community.
1. Bash rantingrick and Xah Lee every chance you get.

.... If I'd known you were in the same category as him, I wouldn't have
needed to wait until now to know to plonk you.

-s

Alister Ware

Sounds good. You should consider submitting this as a PEP.

That would mark the first constructive action from rantingnick ever

Surely that would mark the end of the sentient universe?

Chris Angelico

That would mark the first constructive action from rantingnick ever

Surely that would mark the end of the sentient universe?

Only if he actually did it. Many's the time people have called for him
to write a PEP, or (better still) to write some actual code. Unless,
as seems likely, Ranting Rick is not his real name, I do not know that
he has ever done so.

(What sort of mother names her son "Ranting Rick", anyway?)

ChrisA

Irmen de Jong

8. Use "e.g." as many times as you can! (e.g. e.g.) If you use "e.g."
more than ten times in a single post, you will get an invite to
Guido's next birthday party; where you'll be forced to do shots whist
walking the balcony railing wearing wooden shoes!

I lolled about this one, e.g. I laughed out loud. But where are the tulips and windmills
for extra credit?

Greetings from a Dutchman!

Irmen

Chris Angelico

I lolled about this one, e.g. I laughed out loud. But where are the tulips and windmills
for extra credit?

Greetings from a Dutchman!

Is partial credit available for part-Dutch people, e.g. those with at
least two grandparents from Holland?

(Couldn't resist sticking an e.g. in there, even though I know it's
just feeding the troll...)

Irmen, you definitely get bonus points for a .nl domain.

ChrisA

Kevin Walzer

I'd like to post a detailed response, e.g. a point-by-point engagement
with Rantingrick's list, but as I lack time, this will have to suffice:

http://xkcd.com/386/

There! Can I get my community pin now? :)

rantingrick

9. Never use the word "previously" or the phrase "in the past"; just
dumb it down with "used to".

I had forgot to mention one other usage of "used to":

WRONG: "I used to not like indention but know i am very used to it"
RIGHT: "Previously i lamented forced indentation but i have since
grown quite accustomed to it"

Also the usage of "supposed to" is rather foolish.

WRONG: "We are supposed to write clean code but i am not used to that"
RIGHT: "We are required to write clean code however i am not accustom
to that way of thinking.

Gawd, sometimes i feel like i'm watching an episode of squidbillies
when i read the this list.

Chris Angelico

WRONG: "We are supposed to write clean code but i am not used to that"
RIGHT: "We are required to write clean code however i am not accustom
to that way of thinking.

Since when are we required to write clean code? If I write unclean
code (that's code with an undivided hoof, if you're Jewish), or if I
don't write code at all, will I be kicked from the group?

I think you need to start a blog, Rick.

You'd be easier to ignore.

ChrisA

harrismh777

Chris said:
Is partial credit available for part-Dutch people, e.g. those with at
least two grandparents from Holland?

.... do we get extra credit for having our own shoes... my pair are
official (e.g. hand-carved in Holland, with little windmills wood-burned
on the bow... )

.... mine also have lambs wool lining... don't know it that adds anything
official, but they sure feel great!

kind r'gards,

Dave Angel

I had forgot to mention one other usage of "used to":

WRONG: "I used to not like indention but know i am very used to it"
RIGHT: "Previously i lamented forced indentation but i have since
grown quite accustomed to it"

Also the usage of "supposed to" is rather foolish.

WRONG: "We are supposed to write clean code but i am not used to that"
RIGHT: "We are required to write clean code however i am not accustom
to that way of thinking.

Gawd, sometimes i feel like i'm watching an episode of squidbillies
when i read the this list.
Interesting that when you complain about other's grammatical typos,
you're so careless with your own.

know -> now
i -> I
accustom -> accustomed
the this -> this

I'm inclined to ignore typos in emails except in the case where the
intent is to abuse others.

DaveA

Chris Angelico

I'm inclined to ignore typos in emails except in the case where the intent
is to abuse others.

+1 QOTW.

It is, however, a well-known tradition that spelling/grammar flames
should contain one spelling/grammer error.

Oh, I just did it myself, didn't I.

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

Chris said:
I think you need to start a blog, Rick.

You'd be easier to ignore.

And yet, here you are, engaging him in conversation and feeding him the
attention he craves :(

rantingrick

Interesting that when you complain about other's grammatical typos,
you're so careless with your own.

know -> now
i -> I
accustom -> accustomed
the this -> this

I'm inclined to ignore typos in emails except in the case where the
intent is to abuse others.

My intent is NOT to abuse, but to enlighten. And you need to look up
the definition of typo because i am not complaining about typos. Typos
are accidents. Even the best of us suffer from accidents.

What i AM complaining about is the adoption of a collectively foolish
consistency. "Used to" and "supposed to" is the verbiage of children
and idiots. I am trying to break these people out of such foolish
loops. You should be thanking me instead of trolling my posts.

rantingrick

And yet, here you are, engaging him in conversation and feeding him the
attention he craves :(

Yes, Steven loves rule # 2. Second only to the strawmen armies he has
built.

Kurtz: "What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin?"

Christophe Chong

I can't tell which comments are sarcastic

My intent is NOT to abuse, but to enlighten. And you need to look up
the definition of typo because i am not complaining about typos. Typos
are accidents. Even the best of us suffer from accidents.

What i AM complaining about is the adoption of a collectively foolish
consistency. "Used to" and "supposed to" is the verbiage of children
and idiots. I am trying to break these people out of such foolish
loops. You should be thanking me instead of trolling my posts.

MRAB

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Neil Cerutti <[email protected]

No credit. E.g., i.e., exampla gratis, means, "for example."

The correct spelling is 'exempli gratia'. It's Latin.

i.e., on the other hand, comes from 'id est' ('that is'). Latin too.
I remember reading a book about polymorphism in programming. The author
said
it came from Latin. Nope.