Ten rules to becoming a Python community member.

Discussion in 'Python' started by rantingrick, Aug 14, 2011.

  1. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    Follow these simply rules to become an accepted member of the Python
    community.

    1. Bash rantingrick and Xah Lee every chance you get.

    2. Bash people who bash rick or xah because their basing made rick's
    or xah's words pass through your spam filter.

    3. Post links to xkcd as often as you can. Don't worry if they have
    been posted a thousand times, just post them because it equals "geek
    cool points".

    4. When the chance presents itself, make snide comments about lisp and
    perl; but NEVER about Ruby! (even though Ruby is Perl's micro
    minion!).

    5. Use fancy words like "tail recursion", just because you read about
    it on Guido's blog once (even if you have no idea what that means)!

    6. Engage in heated and pointless discussions as to whether Python is
    "pass-by-reference" or "pass-by-value" even if you have no idea what
    the hell you are talking about.

    7. Play devils advocate often e.g., If someone hates Tkinter: then
    argue how great Tkinter is regardless of how much you actually care,
    use, or know about the module. Likewise if someone likes Tkinter: then
    argue how terrible Tkinter is and how Python does not need any GUI
    library; again, regardless of how much you actually care, use, or know
    about the module.

    8. Use "e.g." as many times as you can! (e.g. e.g.) If you use "e.g."
    more than ten times in a single post, you will get an invite to
    Guido's next birthday party; where you'll be forced to do shots whist
    walking the balcony railing wearing wooden shoes!

    9. Never use the word "previously" or the phrase "in the past"; just
    dumb it down with "used to".

    10. Finally, if you get caught using the word "that" incredibly
    excessively, just hope that nobody notices that that that you are
    really GvR in disguise.
    rantingrick, Aug 14, 2011

  2. rantingrick

    Andrew Berg Guest

    On 2011.08.14 12:57 AM, rantingrick wrote:
    > Follow these simply rules to become an accepted member of the Python
    > community.

    Sounds good. You should consider submitting this as a PEP.

    --
    CPython 3.2.1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17592 | Thunderbird 5.0
    PGP/GPG Public Key ID: 0xF88E034060A78FCB
    Andrew Berg, Aug 14, 2011

  3. rantingrick

    Seebs Guest

    On 2011-08-14, rantingrick <> wrote:
    > Follow these simply rules to become an accepted member of the Python
    > community.

    > 1. Bash rantingrick and Xah Lee every chance you get.

    .... If I'd known you were in the same category as him, I wouldn't have
    needed to wait until now to know to plonk you.

    -s
    Seebs, Aug 14, 2011
  4. rantingrick

    Alister Ware Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 02:54:44 -0500, Andrew Berg wrote:

    > On 2011.08.14 12:57 AM, rantingrick wrote:
    >> Follow these simply rules to become an accepted member of the Python
    >> community.

    > Sounds good. You should consider submitting this as a PEP.

    That would mark the first constructive action from rantingnick ever

    Surely that would mark the end of the sentient universe?

    --
    The deafening silence taught me not to ask a bunch of geeks for advice
    from their girlfriends
    Alister Ware, Aug 14, 2011
  5. On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Alister Ware
    <> wrote:
    > That would mark the first constructive action from rantingnick ever
    >
    > Surely that would mark the end of the sentient universe?

    Only if he actually did it. Many's the time people have called for him
    to write a PEP, or (better still) to write some actual code. Unless,
    as seems likely, Ranting Rick is not his real name, I do not know that
    he has ever done so.

    (What sort of mother names her son "Ranting Rick", anyway?)

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 14, 2011
  6. On 14-8-2011 7:57, rantingrick wrote:
    > 8. Use "e.g." as many times as you can! (e.g. e.g.) If you use "e.g."
    > more than ten times in a single post, you will get an invite to
    > Guido's next birthday party; where you'll be forced to do shots whist
    > walking the balcony railing wearing wooden shoes!

    I lolled about this one, e.g. I laughed out loud. But where are the tulips and windmills
    for extra credit?

    Greetings from a Dutchman!

    Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Aug 14, 2011
  7. On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Irmen de Jong <> wrote:
    > On 14-8-2011 7:57, rantingrick wrote:
    >> 8. Use "e.g." as many times as you can! (e.g. e.g.) If you use "e.g."
    >> more than ten times in a single post, you will get an invite to
    >> Guido's next birthday party; where you'll be forced to do shots whist
    >> walking the balcony railing wearing wooden shoes!

    > I lolled about this one, e.g. I laughed out loud. But where are the tulips and windmills
    > for extra credit?
    >
    > Greetings from a Dutchman!

    Is partial credit available for part-Dutch people, e.g. those with at
    least two grandparents from Holland?

    (Couldn't resist sticking an e.g. in there, even though I know it's
    just feeding the troll...)

    Irmen, you definitely get bonus points for a .nl domain.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 14, 2011
  8. rantingrick

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    I'd like to post a detailed response, e.g. a point-by-point engagement
    with Rantingrick's list, but as I lack time, this will have to suffice:

    http://xkcd.com/386/

    There! Can I get my community pin now? :)
    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin
    Kevin Walzer, Aug 14, 2011
  9. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    On Aug 14, 12:57 am, rantingrick <> wrote:

    > 9. Never use the word "previously" or the phrase "in the past"; just
    > dumb it down with "used to".

    I had forgot to mention one other usage of "used to":

    WRONG: "I used to not like indention but know i am very used to it"
    RIGHT: "Previously i lamented forced indentation but i have since
    grown quite accustomed to it"

    Also the usage of "supposed to" is rather foolish.

    WRONG: "We are supposed to write clean code but i am not used to that"
    RIGHT: "We are required to write clean code however i am not accustom
    to that way of thinking.

    Gawd, sometimes i feel like i'm watching an episode of squidbillies
    when i read the this list.
    rantingrick, Aug 14, 2011
  10. On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM, rantingrick <> wrote:

    > WRONG: "We are supposed to write clean code but i am not used to that"
    > RIGHT: "We are required to write clean code however i am not accustom
    > to that way of thinking.

    Since when are we required to write clean code? If I write unclean
    code (that's code with an undivided hoof, if you're Jewish), or if I
    don't write code at all, will I be kicked from the group?

    I think you need to start a blog, Rick.

    You'd be easier to ignore.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 14, 2011
  11. rantingrick

    harrismh777 Guest

    Chris Angelico wrote:
    >> I lolled about this one, e.g. I laughed out loud. But where are the tulips and windmills
    >> > for extra credit?
    >> >
    >> > Greetings from a Dutchman!

    > Is partial credit available for part-Dutch people, e.g. those with at
    > least two grandparents from Holland?

    .... do we get extra credit for having our own shoes... my pair are
    official (e.g. hand-carved in Holland, with little windmills wood-burned
    on the bow... )

    .... mine also have lambs wool lining... don't know it that adds anything
    official, but they sure feel great!

    kind r'gards,

    --
    m harris

    FSF ...free as in freedom/
    http://webpages.charter.net/harrismh777/gnulinux/gnulinux.htm
    harrismh777, Aug 14, 2011
  12. rantingrick

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, rantingrick wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 12:57 am, rantingrick<> wrote:
    >
    >> 9. Never use the word "previously" or the phrase "in the past"; just
    >> dumb it down with "used to".

    > I had forgot to mention one other usage of "used to":
    >
    > WRONG: "I used to not like indention but know i am very used to it"
    > RIGHT: "Previously i lamented forced indentation but i have since
    > grown quite accustomed to it"
    >
    > Also the usage of "supposed to" is rather foolish.
    >
    > WRONG: "We are supposed to write clean code but i am not used to that"
    > RIGHT: "We are required to write clean code however i am not accustom
    > to that way of thinking.
    >
    > Gawd, sometimes i feel like i'm watching an episode of squidbillies
    > when i read the this list.

    Interesting that when you complain about other's grammatical typos,
    you're so careless with your own.

    know -> now
    i -> I
    accustom -> accustomed
    the this -> this

    I'm inclined to ignore typos in emails except in the case where the
    intent is to abuse others.

    DaveA
    Dave Angel, Aug 14, 2011
  13. On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Dave Angel <> wrote:
    > I'm inclined to ignore typos in emails except in the case where the intent
    > is to abuse others.

    +1 QOTW.

    It is, however, a well-known tradition that spelling/grammar flames
    should contain one spelling/grammer error.

    Oh, I just did it myself, didn't I.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Aug 14, 2011
  14. Chris Angelico wrote:

    > I think you need to start a blog, Rick.
    >
    > You'd be easier to ignore.

    And yet, here you are, engaging him in conversation and feeding him the
    attention he craves :(

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Aug 15, 2011
  15. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    On Aug 14, 5:01 pm, Dave Angel <> wrote:

    > Interesting that when you complain about other's grammatical typos,
    > you're so careless with your own.
    >
    > know -> now
    > i -> I
    > accustom -> accustomed
    > the this -> this
    >
    > I'm inclined to ignore typos in emails except in the case where the
    > intent is to abuse others.

    My intent is NOT to abuse, but to enlighten. And you need to look up
    the definition of typo because i am not complaining about typos. Typos
    are accidents. Even the best of us suffer from accidents.

    What i AM complaining about is the adoption of a collectively foolish
    consistency. "Used to" and "supposed to" is the verbiage of children
    and idiots. I am trying to break these people out of such foolish
    loops. You should be thanking me instead of trolling my posts.
    rantingrick, Aug 15, 2011
  16. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    On Aug 14, 7:56 pm, Steven D'Aprano <steve
    > wrote:
    > Chris Angelico wrote:
    > > I think you need to start a blog, Rick.
    > > You'd be easier to ignore.

    > And yet, here you are, engaging him in conversation and feeding him the
    > attention he craves :(

    Yes, Steven loves rule # 2. Second only to the strawmen armies he has
    built.

    Kurtz: "What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin?"
    rantingrick, Aug 15, 2011
  17. rantingrick

    Seebs Guest

    On 2011-08-15, Steven D'Aprano <> wrote:
    > And yet, here you are, engaging him in conversation and feeding him the
    > attention he craves :(

    Many cultures have a tradition of almsgiving.

    -s
    Seebs, Aug 15, 2011
  18. I can't tell which comments are sarcastic

    Christophe Chong, Aug 15, 2011
  19. rantingrick

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2011-08-14, Chris Angelico <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Irmen de Jong <> wrote:
    >> On 14-8-2011 7:57, rantingrick wrote:
    >>> 8. Use "e.g." as many times as you can! (e.g. e.g.) If you use "e.g."
    >>> more than ten times in a single post, you will get an invite to
    >>> Guido's next birthday party; where you'll be forced to do shots whist
    >>> walking the balcony railing wearing wooden shoes!

    >> I lolled about this one, e.g. I laughed out loud. But where
    >> are the tulips and windmills for extra credit?
    >>
    >> Greetings from a Dutchman!

    No credit. E.g., i.e., exampla gratis, means, "for example."

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Neil Cerutti, Aug 15, 2011
  20. rantingrick

    MRAB Guest

    On 15/08/2011 17:18, Lucio Santi wrote:

    > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Neil Cerutti <
    > <mailto:>> wrote:
    >
    > On 2011-08-14, Chris Angelico <
    > <mailto:>> wrote:
    > > On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Irmen de Jong

    > < <mailto:>> wrote:

    > "e.g."

    > whist
    > >>
    > >> I lolled about this one, e.g. I laughed out loud. But where
    > >> are the tulips and windmills for extra credit?
    > >>
    > >> Greetings from a Dutchman!

    > No credit. E.g., i.e., exampla gratis, means, "for example."
    >

    > The correct spelling is 'exempli gratia'. It's Latin.
    >
    > i.e., on the other hand, comes from 'id est' ('that is'). Latin too.

    I remember reading a book about polymorphism in programming. The author
    said
    it came from Latin. Nope.
    MRAB, Aug 15, 2011