Terminal Emulation with IBM ES9672 mainframe via multiplexer.

Discussion in 'Python' started by vidiv@gmx.net, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    Sorry for repeating, in the earlier msg i forgot to add a Subject line !!

    I am a student-newbie to Python-List (for that matter Python language)
    working on a project for Terminal Emulation. The dumb terminal interacts
    with an
    IBM ES9672 mainframe through a 'multiplexer-MUX'.
    The s/w is currently running in 'C' on a Windows NT environment and the
    requirement is to introduce Object Oriented concepts and C++ was the obvious
    choice, but i came across 'Python' (and also Perl, Ruby, ..etc) after i
    installed RH8 on my PC last month. We are actively canvassing the advantages
    of GNU
    s/w and philosophy and would like to simultaneously port it to GNU/Linux
    platform.

    I have read some of the documentation in Python.
    Before using Python as our project language it would be useful to know
    whether Python has functions, libraries/headers (like C does) capable of
    handling
    the foll. :

    1] open and close serial ports,
    2] set baud rates,
    3] check parity bit/byte,
    4] stop bits,
    5] Hardware handshaking,
    6] selection of port,......

    Our existing 'C' code is to be ported to the GNU/Linux platform so we are
    actively looking at an OOP concept. The part for serial port communication
    in
    C++ has classes so its easier to write customized programs to do most of the
    above.

    Most importantly compatibility issues with the existing Multiplexer and
    Cisco Routers have to be kept in mind as the company will *not* make any H/W
    changes.

    We saw that python has some routines for using existing C code, so we dont
    have to rewrite everything and can make modules containing functions and use
    it to operate on files.
    Does it provide any other serial port communication features ?
    It would be nice if anyone could throw some light on some of the above
    issues.

    Thankyou for your time.

    Ciao,
    Vidya.

    , Jan 13, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >Sorry for repeating, in the earlier msg i forgot to add a Subject line !!
    >
    >I am a student-newbie to Python-List (for that matter Python language)
    >working on a project for Terminal Emulation. The dumb terminal interacts
    >with an
    >IBM ES9672 mainframe through a 'multiplexer-MUX'.
    >The s/w is currently running in 'C' on a Windows NT environment and the
    >requirement is to introduce Object Oriented concepts and C++ was the obvious
    >choice, but i came across 'Python' (and also Perl, Ruby, ..etc) after i
    >installed RH8 on my PC last month. We are actively canvassing the advantages
    >of GNU
    >s/w and philosophy and would like to simultaneously port it to GNU/Linux
    >platform.
    >
    >I have read some of the documentation in Python.
    >Before using Python as our project language it would be useful to know
    >whether Python has functions, libraries/headers (like C does) capable of
    >handling
    >the foll. :
    >
    >1] open and close serial ports,
    >2] set baud rates,
    >3] check parity bit/byte,
    >4] stop bits,
    >5] Hardware handshaking,
    >6] selection of port,......
    >
    >Our existing 'C' code is to be ported to the GNU/Linux platform so we are
    >actively looking at an OOP concept. The part for serial port communication
    >in
    >C++ has classes so its easier to write customized programs to do most of the
    >above.
    >
    >Most importantly compatibility issues with the existing Multiplexer and
    >Cisco Routers have to be kept in mind as the company will *not* make any H/W
    >changes.
    >
    >We saw that python has some routines for using existing C code, so we dont
    >have to rewrite everything and can make modules containing functions and use
    >it to operate on files.
    >Does it provide any other serial port communication features ?
    >It would be nice if anyone could throw some light on some of the above
    >issues.

    .
    .
    .
    Yes, Python can do all this.

    Although perhaps not as well as other approaches. I don't understand
    your description. You have something that "works", now, and you want
    .... well, I'm not sure what you want. Is the software you're looking
    to change the terminal emulator, or the MUX? I think it's the former.
    What's the relation of the new software and the software it's
    replacing? Are they supposed to have the same design? Would it be
    easier for you to do object-oriented analysis and design, then imple-
    ment in C (while C isn't a particularly inviting language for OO, it
    *is* possible to use it)? Is the terminal emulator connecting to a
    mainframe, or routers, or both? Is it enough for you just to exhibit
    one of the many free-software terminal emulators available? When *I*
    work in this area, I certainly start with as much re-use as possible.

    Perhaps I'm not following the academic spirit of this assignment. It
    sounds as though you have settled on construction of certain low-level
    serial-line capabilities in C++, and one of your requirements is to
    interface with that (as yet uncoded?) specific library. Do I have
    that right?

    Boost is a nice way to use Python and C++ together.

    Expect <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/expect > is *very* widely used by
    those working with terminal emulation, serial-line connections,
    networking hardware, and so on. Perhaps Expect is exactly what you
    lack; I really can't tell. There's a Python-based Expect, although
    it's not as well documented as the original one.

    Is the point of this to construct working software, or learn OO, or
    port to Linux, or ...? Or all of the above?
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
    Cameron Laird, Jan 14, 2004