Terminal 'screens'

Barret R

I was wondering, how do you create those terminal 'screens', like how
irssi is designed? I'm not sure the exact word to use... Anyway, what
library would I use? And would I be able to replicate it on Windows, or
am I out of luck?

Thanks for the help in advance,
-Barret R

Keith Thompson

Barret R said:
I was wondering, how do you create those terminal 'screens', like how
irssi is designed? I'm not sure the exact word to use... Anyway, what
library would I use? And would I be able to replicate it on Windows, or
am I out of luck?

Standard C has no concept of "screens". Try a newsgroup that's
specific to your operating system.

Barry Schwarz

I was wondering, how do you create those terminal 'screens', like how
irssi is designed? I'm not sure the exact word to use... Anyway, what
library would I use? And would I be able to replicate it on Windows, or
am I out of luck?
You start by asking in a Windows newsgroup.

Remove del for email

Rick

As a starting point, you can investigate libraries such as curses (or
ncurses). But as far as I know all ports curses ports to windows are
'limited'. You will probably have better luck in other newsgroups.

Good luck,

--
Richard G.

'UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a
genius to understand the simplicity'
-- Dennis Ritchie

John Bode

Barret said:
I was wondering, how do you create those terminal 'screens', like how
irssi is designed? I'm not sure the exact word to use... Anyway, what
library would I use? And would I be able to replicate it on Windows, or
am I out of luck?

Thanks for the help in advance,
-Barret R

The answer varies for each platform; the C language has no built-in
support for screen management. You'll have to rely on either
vendor-supplied or third-party libraries (such as curses). Check a
newsgroup that's specific to your platform.