Terminating program run from thread (not just the thread)

Jeffrey Barish

My Tkinter GUI starts a thread that runs ogg123 using popen3. The
thread reads the stderr from ogg123 to determine when ogg123 is done
and, until then, to update a progress meter. I need to be able to stop
ogg123 before it reaches the end of its task. If I terminate the
thread that used popen3 to start ogg123, ogg123 does not terminate.
popen3 does not return a pid, so I don't see any way to terminate the
program. Suggestions?