Test failures on AIX 5.1 for 2.3.4

Jeff Smith

I built Python 2.3.4 on AIX 5.1 with the AIX C compiler cc_r and had
three test failures during the "make test" phase:
test_coercion
test_mmap
test_pty

Do I need to worry about these? Should I submit a bug report?

Thanks,
Jeff

Terry Reedy

Jeff Smith said:
I built Python 2.3.4 on AIX 5.1 with the AIX C compiler cc_r and had
three test failures during the "make test" phase:
test_coercion
test_mmap
test_pty

I believe coercion is universally applicable and should pass on every
machine. I am not sure about the other two.
Do I need to worry about these? Should I submit a bug report?

Unless you get a more complete answer than mine, saying no, I would suggest
so, including details of hardware, compiler switches, and failure messages.
But first make sure you compiled with optimizations turned off. It might
be helpful to either you or the developers if you also tried 2.4a1.

Terry J. Reedy

Neal Norwitz

Terry Reedy said:
I believe coercion is universally applicable and should pass on every
machine. I am not sure about the other two.

Actually, it probably is not a problem. If you run the regression
tests with the -v option, I expect you will see that the differences
are that cc_r is using signed zeroes.

I think there was a bug report. It doesn't seem to be open (at least
I can't find it), so it was probably closed as a Wont Fix. Basically
I was too lazy to fix it when I had access to AIX and I no longer have
access.

test_mmap is likely a known problem: http://python.org/sf/678250
that is probably just a bad test.

test_pty is notoriously bad: http://python.org/sf/713169
probably also a test problem.

It would be nice to clean up the tests and have them pass, but we need
people to spend the effort. It would also be nice to verify the
results on a couple of machines. Unfortunately, there hasn't been
much support in the past.

Neal