    Do I need to worry about these? Should I submit a bug report?

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff Smith, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Jeff Smith

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Jeff Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I built Python 2.3.4 on AIX 5.1 with the AIX C compiler cc_r and had
    > three test failures during the "make test" phase:
    > test_coercion
    > test_mmap
    > test_pty

    I believe coercion is universally applicable and should pass on every
    machine. I am not sure about the other two.

    > Do I need to worry about these? Should I submit a bug report?

    Unless you get a more complete answer than mine, saying no, I would suggest
    so, including details of hardware, compiler switches, and failure messages.
    But first make sure you compiled with optimizations turned off. It might
    be helpful to either you or the developers if you also tried 2.4a1.

    Terry J. Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Jeff Smith

    Neal Norwitz Guest

    "Terry Reedy" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Jeff Smith" <> wrote in message
    > > I built Python 2.3.4 on AIX 5.1 with the AIX C compiler cc_r and had
    > > three test failures during the "make test" phase:
    > > test_coercion
    > > test_mmap
    > > test_pty

    > I believe coercion is universally applicable and should pass on every
    > machine. I am not sure about the other two.

    Actually, it probably is not a problem. If you run the regression
    tests with the -v option, I expect you will see that the differences
    are that cc_r is using signed zeroes.

    I think there was a bug report. It doesn't seem to be open (at least
    I can't find it), so it was probably closed as a Wont Fix. Basically
    I was too lazy to fix it when I had access to AIX and I no longer have
    access.

    > > Do I need to worry about these? Should I submit a bug report?

    test_mmap is likely a known problem: http://python.org/sf/678250
    that is probably just a bad test.

    test_pty is notoriously bad: http://python.org/sf/713169
    probably also a test problem.

    It would be nice to clean up the tests and have them pass, but we need
    people to spend the effort. It would also be nice to verify the
    results on a couple of machines. Unfortunately, there hasn't been
    much support in the past.

    Neal
    Neal Norwitz, Jul 30, 2004