Test Please: Ancient Greek Unix Fonts??

Nikita the Spider

I don't have any of those fonts on my system -- the text in question seems
to render in "Palatino Linotype". A better choice would probably be
"Bitstream Vera Sans" which has a good Greek repetoire and is almost
universally included with recent Linux distributions. Feel free to put it
right at the front of your font list as virtually no Windows or Mac
machines will have it installed.

I have Bitstream Vera Sans, Vera Serif, and Sans Mono installed here
under OS X. My guess is that arrived as part of my NeoOffice install, or
perhaps I even installed them way back when installed the X11 version of
OpenOffice. (NeoOffice is OpenOffice for the Mac.)

Toby Inkster

Andrew said:

Hi Andreus,
Interestingly enough the "Bitstream Vera Sans" font certainly
looks pretty good but it does not show any breathing marks

You're right -- I hadn't noticed that.
(the small marks before words commencing with a vowel that indicate
rough or silent breathing) or marks of elision (where vowels have been
omitted).

Yes -- I studied ancient Greek at school -- can't remember much of it, but
I remember the reason the Greek alphabet doesn't have an H.

Toby Inkster

Nikita said:
NeoOffice is OpenOffice for the Mac.

Yes, I've got it -- and the X11 OpenOffice too -- but no Bitstream Vera
fonts. You must have gotten them elsewhere.

Nikita the Spider

Toby Inkster said:
Yes, I've got it -- and the X11 OpenOffice too -- but no Bitstream Vera
fonts. You must have gotten them elsewhere.

Ooops, my mistake. Thanks for being on your toes, Inkster.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Alan J. Flavell"
[1] I say "confusing" because, in British English, "alternate" means
first the one, then the other, by turns. "alternative" means "choose
one from the two which are offered" (or, if not being too pedantic,
"choose one from several"). In US usage it seems the terms are used
more or less interchangeably.

This is truly one of the rare cases where the Brits have it over the Yanks.
Americans can be lazy when it comes to proper definitions but at least they
don't speak like they're always constipated.

BlueC

Dylan said:
Well the desktop he was using appeared to be KDE (the style of the clock
in the bottom-right was a dead giveaway). The actual OS doesn't really
matter though as the browser was Firefox, which isn't OS dependent.

The OS looks like Linspire to me. The "L" on the "start" menu is a dead
giveaway. The GUI indeed looks like KDE.