Test requested

Timothy

Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web designer.
I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is being served
off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the lack of lots of
graphics.

Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position boxes,
so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
Thanks for looking.

http://yardworks.no-ip.com

Barbara de Zoete

Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page.

http://yardworks.no-ip.com

<quote>
Forbidden

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.
< />

--
,------------- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: --------------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

Timothy

<quote>
Forbidden

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.
< />

Wth...? My father in law was able to access..? I just accessed and my wife
accessed it from her work. Could this be the no-ip.com taking a dump on me..?

Barbara de Zoete

Wth...? My father in law was able to access..? I just accessed and my wife
accessed it from her work. Could this be the no-ip.com taking a dump on me..?

I have no idea. This is what came back to me.

Can't you give us a full URL, a path including the full html file name?

--
,------------- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: --------------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |
| webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html> |
| zweefvliegen | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html> |
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

saz

Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web designer.
I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is being served
off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the lack of lots of
graphics.

Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position boxes,
so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
Thanks for looking.

http://yardworks.no-ip.com

My 45 year old eyes are having trouble reading your font, and I am your
target audience.

Although you claim to be HTML compliant (and you are) you clearly have
not tested this page in Mozilla or Firefox, or you would see a bigger
disaster than what is displayed in IE. Compliant Code does not mean your
site will work as desired.

IMO, It is not an attractive site and you need to start all over.

Richard

Wth...? My father in law was able to access..? I just accessed and my wife
accessed it from her work. Could this be the no-ip.com taking a dump on
me..?

For a beginner, you're doing just fine.
Now learn how to get rid of all those blank spaces.
Might want to learn what padding and margin are all about.

Barbara de Zoete

Very sorry about this. Dunno what just happened with it. I just got a 401
when I connected. The full url *seems* to work atm:

http://yardworks.no-ip.com/index.html

ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the viewport of
my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed out page:

<quote>
<head>
http-equiv="content-type">
<title>Yard Works Gardening Co.</title>

<link href="yard.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media ="screen">
</head>

<DIV class="box" align="center">

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for the laugh ;-)

Me think, your server need a bit more configuring, but I know nothing about
that.

--
,------------- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: --------------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |
| webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html> |
| zweefvliegen | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html> |
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Timothy said:
Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes
back with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a
web designer. I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The
page is being served off my personal machine and the speeds are
poor, hence the lack of lots of graphics.

I'll give you a couple hints if you will raise some cacti for me.
B. T. Shagnasty = Brown Thumb Shagnasty.
Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position
boxes, so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
Thanks for looking.

http://yardworks.no-ip.com

[Barbara] I can see the page.

1. dump the fantasy font family. Nearly impossible to read.
2. consider dumping Verdana as well (it's too large).
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
3. don't use cursor: crosshair. very annoying
4. position things with ems rather than pixels so the page floats when
visitors increase text size.
5. CSS pieces like this:
border-top-width: thin;
border-right-width: thin;
border-bottom-width: thin;
border-left-width: thin;
can be written only once: border: thin
6. use the font-family once in ".rollover { } " and remove it from all
children.
7. your 800px width does not consider the width of scrollbars.
8. work towards a fluid design.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
9. since you want folks to contact you (for gardening work?) you
should have your address - and region serviced - on the contact page.
10. while viewing your pages in Firefox (I see the icon), press
Ctrl-Plus a few times and watch the design fall apart. This is where
em measurement comes into play.

Hope this helps,

Timothy

My 45 year old eyes are having trouble reading your font, and I am your
target audience.

Although you claim to be HTML compliant (and you are) you clearly have not
tested this page in Mozilla or Firefox, or you would see a bigger disaster
than what is displayed in IE. Compliant Code does not mean your site will
work as desired.

IMO, It is not an attractive site and you need to start all over.

I've been having font issues as of late for some strange reason. Will look
into it for sure.

Not only have I tested the page in Mozilla, but also in Firefox and
Konqueror. FireFox IS my main browser. This is a mandrake 10 linux system
with all the standard options.

As far as how attractive the site is.... like I said before, I'm looking
to learn the structure first. By no means are these the final colors,
graphics and the like. It's all just filler atm. I need to know that the
structure is working well and to learn how to structure it better.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Barbara said:
ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the
viewport of my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed
out page:

The page still works (server accessible) for me, with the base URL,
too. I do not see the source as you described, unless of course I
choose to view it. Same in FF1 and IE6 (though each has a different
default fantasy font - both of which are unreadable <g>).

Timothy

ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the viewport
of my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed out page:
Thanks for the laugh ;-)

Me think, your server need a bit more configuring, but I know nothing
about that.

You seem to be the only person who has issues viewing the page. Maybe you
should look inward for the issue..? 80)

Glad I could give you a good giggle........

Timothy

Timothy said:
[...]

This helps greatly! Thank you very much for pointing out the error of my
ways. I took the font out so hopefuly it renders better. Thank you for
your time.......

Barbara de Zoete

You seem to be the only person who has issues viewing the page. Maybe you
should look inward for the issue..? 80)

I don't think so. I've never encountered this behaviour before. It happens in
Op7.54 And FF (didn't bother to test with IE). It doesn't happen with other
pages.
No, it's not me.
Glad I could give you a good giggle........

Well, thanks.

--
,------------- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: --------------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |
| webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html> |
| zweefvliegen | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html> |
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Timothy

For a beginner, you're doing just fine. Now learn how to get rid of all
those blank spaces. Might want to learn what padding and margin are all
about.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'll be looking into it right away. Thank
you for your time.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Timothy wrote:
This helps greatly! Thank you very much for pointing out the error
of my ways. I took the font out so hopefuly it renders better.
Thank you for your time.......

Ah! Now I can read it. <g> One down and eight to go ...

Oh:
10. consider not using the MS-free, W3C, Firefox widgets on all the
pages. Maybe once on an About Us page, or remove altogether. Visitors
don't care.

saz

I've been having font issues as of late for some strange reason. Will look
into it for sure.

Not only have I tested the page in Mozilla, but also in Firefox and
Konqueror. FireFox IS my main browser. This is a mandrake 10 linux system
with all the standard options.

As far as how attractive the site is.... like I said before, I'm looking
to learn the structure first. By no means are these the final colors,
graphics and the like. It's all just filler atm. I need to know that the
structure is working well and to learn how to structure it better.
There is no way you looked at this in Mozilla or Firefox. Don't you see
what I see on your services page? The div box at the top in IE is
halfway down the page in Mozilla. The bottom with all your widgets
overlaps the middle div in all browsers.

Timothy

There is no way you looked at this in Mozilla or Firefox. Don't you see
what I see on your services page? The div box at the top in IE is halfway
down the page in Mozilla. The bottom with all your widgets overlaps the
middle div in all browsers.

No I don't see what you see.....
How can I say this....
I don't use *Any* other browser than FireFox. I have FireFox, Mozilla and
Konqueror installed on my mandrake 10 linux with a 4 meg generic vid card
and a philips 109s monitor. That's why I requested a test in this group. I
have no windows access and my wife glanced at the page at her work and
said "sure, looks o.k to me...", hence my posting here. She has little
intrest in the details, all she knows it renders.... How well is anyone's
guess. Soo sorry that it flunks on your system. Will do what I can to
correct the structure.

Oli Filth

Timothy said:
You seem to be the only person who has issues viewing the page. Maybe you
should look inward for the issue..? 80)

Glad I could give you a good giggle........

I just had a look, and got the HTML source rather than the rendered page
too. Can't work out why, though. The HTML looked ok, and it was sent as
text/html. Refreshed, and the page came up. Odd.

Oli

Timothy

I just had a look, and got the HTML source rather than the rendered page
too. Can't work out why, though. The HTML looked ok, and it was sent as
text/html. Refreshed, and the page came up. Odd.

Oli

Thanks for taking a look. I guess that I'll be jumping over to the Apache
group and see what they have to say about this issue. Thanks for your time....