    so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
    Thanks for looking.

    http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004

  2. On 28 Dec 2004 18:44:27 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:

    > Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page.
    >
    > http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    <quote>
    Forbidden

    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
    ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    < />

    --
    ,------------- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: --------------.
    | weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:53:30 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > On 28 Dec 2004 18:44:27 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:
    >
    >> Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page.
    >>
    >> http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    > <quote>
    > Forbidden
    >
    > You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    >
    > Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
    > ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    > < />

    Wth...? My father in law was able to access..? I just accessed and my wife
    accessed it from her work. Could this be the no-ip.com taking a dump on me..?

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  4. On 28 Dec 2004 19:00:37 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:53:30 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >
    >> On 28 Dec 2004 18:44:27 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page.
    >>>
    >>> http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    >> <quote>
    >> Forbidden
    >>
    >> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    >>
    >> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
    >> ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    >> < />

    > Wth...? My father in law was able to access..? I just accessed and my wife
    > accessed it from her work. Could this be the no-ip.com taking a dump on me..?

    I have no idea. This is what came back to me.

    Can't you give us a full URL, a path including the full html file name?

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:03:39 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > I have no idea. This is what came back to me.
    >
    > Can't you give us a full URL, a path including the full html file name?

    Very sorry about this. Dunno what just happened with it. I just got a 401
    when I connected. The full url *seems* to work atm:

    http://yardworks.no-ip.com/index.html

    Thanks for your time.

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Timothy

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    VEcom says...
    > Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
    > with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web designer.
    > I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is being served
    > off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the lack of lots of
    > graphics.
    >
    > Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position boxes,
    > so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
    > Thanks for looking.
    >
    > http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    My 45 year old eyes are having trouble reading your font, and I am your
    target audience.

    Although you claim to be HTML compliant (and you are) you clearly have
    not tested this page in Mozilla or Firefox, or you would see a bigger
    disaster than what is displayed in IE. Compliant Code does not mean your
    site will work as desired.

    IMO, It is not an attractive site and you need to start all over.

    saz, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Timothy

    Richard Guest

    Timothy wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:53:30 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    >> On 28 Dec 2004 18:44:27 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page.
    >>>
    >>> http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    >> <quote>
    >> Forbidden
    >>
    >> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    >>
    >> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
    >> an ErrorDocument to handle the request. < />

    > Wth...? My father in law was able to access..? I just accessed and my wife
    > accessed it from her work. Could this be the no-ip.com taking a dump on
    > me..?

    For a beginner, you're doing just fine.
    Now learn how to get rid of all those blank spaces.
    Might want to learn what padding and margin are all about.

    Richard, Dec 28, 2004
  8. On 28 Dec 2004 19:08:00 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:03:39 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >> I have no idea. This is what came back to me.
    >>
    >> Can't you give us a full URL, a path including the full html file name?

    > Very sorry about this. Dunno what just happened with it. I just got a 401
    > when I connected. The full url *seems* to work atm:
    >
    > http://yardworks.no-ip.com/index.html

    ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the viewport of
    my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed out page:

    <quote>
    <head>
    http-equiv="content-type">
    <title>Yard Works Gardening Co.</title>

    <link href="yard.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media ="screen">
    </head>

    <DIV class="box" align="center">

    < />

    > Thanks for your time.

    Thanks for the laugh ;-)

    Me think, your server need a bit more configuring, but I know nothing about
    that.

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Timothy wrote:
    > Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes
    > back with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a
    > web designer. I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The
    > page is being served off my personal machine and the speeds are
    > poor, hence the lack of lots of graphics.

    I'll give you a couple hints if you will raise some cacti for me.
    B. T. Shagnasty = Brown Thumb Shagnasty.

    > Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position
    > boxes, so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
    > Thanks for looking.
    >
    > http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    [Barbara] I can see the page.

    1. dump the fantasy font family. Nearly impossible to read.
    2. consider dumping Verdana as well (it's too large).
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
    3. don't use cursor: crosshair. very annoying
    4. position things with ems rather than pixels so the page floats when
    visitors increase text size.
    5. CSS pieces like this:
    border-top-width: thin;
    border-right-width: thin;
    border-bottom-width: thin;
    border-left-width: thin;
    can be written only once: border: thin
    6. use the font-family once in ".rollover { } " and remove it from all
    children.
    7. your 800px width does not consider the width of scrollbars.
    8. work towards a fluid design.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
    9. since you want folks to contact you (for gardening work?) you
    should have your address - and region serviced - on the contact page.
    10. while viewing your pages in Firefox (I see the icon), press
    Ctrl-Plus a few times and watch the design fall apart. This is where
    em measurement comes into play.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2004
  10. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:10:20 -0600, saz wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > VEcom says...
    >> Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
    >> with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web
    >> designer. I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is
    >> being served off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the
    >> lack of lots of graphics.
    >>
    >> Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position
    >> boxes, so the page is more about structure than graphic style. Thanks
    >> for looking.
    >>
    >> http://yardworks.no-ip.com
    >>

    > My 45 year old eyes are having trouble reading your font, and I am your
    > target audience.
    >
    > Although you claim to be HTML compliant (and you are) you clearly have not
    > tested this page in Mozilla or Firefox, or you would see a bigger disaster
    > than what is displayed in IE. Compliant Code does not mean your site will
    > work as desired.
    >
    > IMO, It is not an attractive site and you need to start all over.

    I've been having font issues as of late for some strange reason. Will look
    into it for sure.

    Not only have I tested the page in Mozilla, but also in Firefox and
    Konqueror. FireFox IS my main browser. This is a mandrake 10 linux system
    with all the standard options.

    As far as how attractive the site is.... like I said before, I'm looking
    to learn the structure first. By no means are these the final colors,
    graphics and the like. It's all just filler atm. I need to know that the
    structure is working well and to learn how to structure it better.

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  11. Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the
    > viewport of my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed
    > out page:

    The page still works (server accessible) for me, with the base URL,
    too. I do not see the source as you described, unless of course I
    choose to view it. Same in FF1 and IE6 (though each has a different
    default fantasy font - both of which are unreadable <g>).

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2004
  12. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:14:25 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > On 28 Dec 2004 19:08:00 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:03:39 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>> I have no idea. This is what came back to me.
    >>>
    >>> Can't you give us a full URL, a path including the full html file name?

    >> Very sorry about this. Dunno what just happened with it. I just got a
    >> 401 when I connected. The full url *seems* to work atm:
    >>
    >> http://yardworks.no-ip.com/index.html
    >>

    > ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the viewport
    > of my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed out page:

    <Sniped>

    >> Thanks for your time.
    >>

    > Thanks for the laugh ;-)
    >
    > Me think, your server need a bit more configuring, but I know nothing
    > about that.

    You seem to be the only person who has issues viewing the page. Maybe you
    should look inward for the issue..? 80)

    Glad I could give you a good giggle........

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  13. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:15:37 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Timothy wrote:
    >> Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
    >> with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web
    >> designer. I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is
    >> being served off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the
    >> lack of lots of graphics.

    > I'll give you a couple hints if you will raise some cacti for me. B. T.
    > Shagnasty = Brown Thumb Shagnasty.
    >
    >> Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position
    >> boxes, so the page is more about structure than graphic style. Thanks
    >> for looking.
    >>
    >> http://yardworks.no-ip.com

    > [Barbara] I can see the page.
    >
    > 1. dump the fantasy font family. Nearly impossible to read. 2. consider
    > dumping Verdana as well (it's too large).
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
    > 3. don't use cursor: crosshair. very annoying 4. position things with ems
    > rather than pixels so the page floats when visitors increase text size.
    > 5. CSS pieces like this:
    > border-top-width: thin;
    > border-right-width: thin;
    > border-bottom-width: thin;
    > border-left-width: thin;
    > can be written only once: border: thin 6. use the font-family once in
    > ".rollover { } " and remove it from all children.
    > 7. your 800px width does not consider the width of scrollbars. 8. work
    > towards a fluid design.
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
    > 9. since you want folks to contact you (for gardening work?) you should
    > have your address - and region serviced - on the contact page. 10. while
    > viewing your pages in Firefox (I see the icon), press Ctrl-Plus a few
    > times and watch the design fall apart. This is where em measurement comes
    > into play.
    >
    > Hope this helps,

    This helps greatly! Thank you very much for pointing out the error of my
    ways. I took the font out so hopefuly it renders better. Thank you for
    your time.......

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  14. On 28 Dec 2004 19:23:22 +0100, Timothy <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:14:25 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    >>> Very sorry about this. Dunno what just happened with it. I just got a
    >>> 401 when I connected. The full url *seems* to work atm:
    >>>
    >>> http://yardworks.no-ip.com/index.html
    >>>

    >> ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the viewport
    >> of my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed out page:

    > <Sniped>
    >>
    >>> Thanks for your time.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the laugh ;-)
    >>
    >> Me think, your server need a bit more configuring, but I know nothing
    >> about that.

    > You seem to be the only person who has issues viewing the page. Maybe you
    > should look inward for the issue..? 80)

    I don't think so. I've never encountered this behaviour before. It happens in
    Op7.54 And FF (didn't bother to test with IE). It doesn't happen with other
    pages.
    No, it's not me.

    > Glad I could give you a good giggle........

    Well, thanks.

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 28, 2004
  15. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:13:43 -0600, Richard wrote:

    > For a beginner, you're doing just fine. Now learn how to get rid of all
    > those blank spaces. Might want to learn what padding and margin are all
    > about.

    Thank you for the encouragement. I'll be looking into it right away. Thank
    you for your time.

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  16. Timothy wrote:
    <snipped>
    > This helps greatly! Thank you very much for pointing out the error
    > of my ways. I took the font out so hopefuly it renders better.
    > Thank you for your time.......

    Ah! Now I can read it. <g> One down and eight to go ...

    Oh:
    10. consider not using the MS-free, W3C, Firefox widgets on all the
    pages. Maybe once on an About Us page, or remove altogether. Visitors
    don't care.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2004
  17. Timothy

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    VEcom says...
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:10:20 -0600, saz wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > VEcom says...
    > >> Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
    > >> with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web
    > >> designer. I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is
    > >> being served off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the
    > >> lack of lots of graphics.
    > >>
    > >> Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position
    > >> boxes, so the page is more about structure than graphic style. Thanks
    > >> for looking.
    > >>
    > >> http://yardworks.no-ip.com
    > >>

    > > My 45 year old eyes are having trouble reading your font, and I am your
    > > target audience.
    > >
    > > Although you claim to be HTML compliant (and you are) you clearly have not
    > > tested this page in Mozilla or Firefox, or you would see a bigger disaster
    > > than what is displayed in IE. Compliant Code does not mean your site will
    > > work as desired.
    > >
    > > IMO, It is not an attractive site and you need to start all over.

    > I've been having font issues as of late for some strange reason. Will look
    > into it for sure.
    >
    > Not only have I tested the page in Mozilla, but also in Firefox and
    > Konqueror. FireFox IS my main browser. This is a mandrake 10 linux system
    > with all the standard options.
    >
    > As far as how attractive the site is.... like I said before, I'm looking
    > to learn the structure first. By no means are these the final colors,
    > graphics and the like. It's all just filler atm. I need to know that the
    > structure is working well and to learn how to structure it better.

    There is no way you looked at this in Mozilla or Firefox. Don't you see
    what I see on your services page? The div box at the top in IE is
    halfway down the page in Mozilla. The bottom with all your widgets
    overlaps the middle div in all browsers.

    saz, Dec 28, 2004
  18. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:44:41 -0600, saz wrote:

    > There is no way you looked at this in Mozilla or Firefox. Don't you see
    > what I see on your services page? The div box at the top in IE is halfway
    > down the page in Mozilla. The bottom with all your widgets overlaps the
    > middle div in all browsers.

    No I don't see what you see.....
    How can I say this....
    I don't use *Any* other browser than FireFox. I have FireFox, Mozilla and
    Konqueror installed on my mandrake 10 linux with a 4 meg generic vid card
    and a philips 109s monitor. That's why I requested a test in this group. I
    have no windows access and my wife glanced at the page at her work and
    said "sure, looks o.k to me...", hence my posting here. She has little
    intrest in the details, all she knows it renders.... How well is anyone's
    guess. Soo sorry that it flunks on your system. Will do what I can to
    correct the structure.

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  19. Timothy

    Oli Filth Guest

    Timothy wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:14:25 +0100, Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    >>>Very sorry about this. Dunno what just happened with it. I just got a
    >>>401 when I connected. The full url *seems* to work atm:
    >>>
    >>>http://yardworks.no-ip.com/index.html
    >>>

    >>ROFL, yes, it works, but not as you would like it to work. In the viewport
    >>of my browser, your code shows up, while I expected a layed out page:

    > <Sniped>
    >
    >>>Thanks for your time.
    >>>

    >>Thanks for the laugh ;-)
    >>
    >>Me think, your server need a bit more configuring, but I know nothing
    >>about that.

    > You seem to be the only person who has issues viewing the page. Maybe you
    > should look inward for the issue..? 80)
    >
    > Glad I could give you a good giggle........

    I just had a look, and got the HTML source rather than the rendered page
    too. Can't work out why, though. The HTML looked ok, and it was sent as
    text/html. Refreshed, and the page came up. Odd.

    Oli

    Oli Filth, Dec 28, 2004
  20. Timothy

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:01:02 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:

    > I just had a look, and got the HTML source rather than the rendered page
    > too. Can't work out why, though. The HTML looked ok, and it was sent as
    > text/html. Refreshed, and the page came up. Odd.
    >
    > Oli

    Thanks for taking a look. I guess that I'll be jumping over to the Apache
    group and see what they have to say about this issue. Thanks for your time....

    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004