Test requested

saz

saz said:
But your average viewer will not adjust his font size, so you need to
choose a font that looks good in a typical resolution. This font at a
"3", 1em, 100%, or whatever is too small. It is much better as it is
now in Arial instead of a fantasy font.

Excuse me for shouting but, BULL SHIT.

How on earth do you know what is the best font size for your viewers system?
You do not. At best you would be either guessing or basing it on *your*
system. At worst you get it so horribly wrong that the viewer simply goes
elsewhere.

If *you* don't like the font set to what is was when you opened the box then
RTFM and find out how to change it.

As to "your average viewer", if they can not read the font as it came out of
the box then how the bloody hell to they read the rest of the desktop, you
know, the icon or start menu they have to use to start the browser in the
first place?

Please cite the evidence for your statement that this average viewer will
not adjust his[sic] font size.

If they can not read the out of the box font size then they *will* find out
how to change it, if only by complaining to the sales person who sold it to
them. Then again if they couldn't read it they would not have purchased the
computer in the first bloody place :)

I suppose next you will be changing the colour of my scroll bars for me, or
moving the screen closer to my face, or buying me a bigger monitor, all
because *you* think this is good for *me*.

Read carefully, I'll be happy to walk you through the basics of web
design.

Even when specifying a font size in your html, it can still be changed
in all browsers. No need to document that. Go ahead, try it yourself.
Open IE, go to "view", then "text size" and then pick a size and watch
it change. Amazing, isn't it? Would you like me to walk you through it
in Mozilla, FireFox or Opera?

Your average viewer has absolutely no idea how to change his font sizes
in IE. You want documentation - I used to deal with this all the time
when I did networking and tech support - I can't tell you how many times
I heard "The writing on this webpage is too small to read".

Don't believe me? Ask a relative or friend how to change font sizes in
any browser. I bet well over 50% have no idea.

Care to comment, or would you now agree you are incompetent concerning
this subject?

Richard

Timothy said:
Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web designer.
I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is being served
off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the lack of lots of
graphics.
Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position boxes,
so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
Thanks for looking.

You're getting closer.

Clue: Look up psuedo class.
The <a> tag can be defined to get rid of all those blank spaces.
Or define the division better.

Good job so far.

Richard

Now I get nothing on your service page, and source only shows this:

A few years back, I was doing a total rewrite of a page that I did and
uploaded it to overwrite the old one.
Apparently, I caught at least one person who was in the midst of reading the
original.
He was a little suprised to see his page change right in front of him.

John J

Timothy said:
page:

You seem to be the only person who has issues viewing the page. Maybe you
should look inward for the issue..? 80)

Glad I could give you a good giggle........
Going to http://yardworks.no-ip.com , Firefox v.9 and IE (latest) render
the site fine, none of the issues mentioned above are experienced at
this moment (11:49AM East Coast Time USA, in case you've recently made
changes). Looks like a good beginning. Blue shadow of the 3 link
buttons renders fine in both browsers.

HTH

John

Oli Filth

saz said:
Even when specifying a font size in your html, it can still be changed
in all browsers. No need to document that. Go ahead, try it yourself.
Open IE, go to "view", then "text size" and then pick a size and watch
it change. Amazing, isn't it? Would you like me to walk you through it
in Mozilla, FireFox or Opera?

You might want to reconsider your claim about font-size being changeable
in "all" browsers. Try the code below.

<HTML>
<BODY>
<P style="font-size: 20px">
This is some text that won't change size in IE.
</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Does that change size for you in IE when you change View->Text Size?? It
doesn't for me.

Oli

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
A few years back, I was doing a total rewrite of a page that I did and
uploaded it to overwrite the old one.
Apparently, I caught at least one person who was in the midst of reading the
original.
He was a little suprised to see his page change right in front of him.

Did he hit refresh? Otherwise how could your uploading a new version
to the server affect the copy that was being used by his browser?

And, hang on. People read your web site? Your web site actually has
content on it? Nah...

Steve

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Steve Pugh scribbled in the mud:
And, hang on. People read your web site? Your web site actually has
content on it? Nah...

Sure it has content on it. It's kinda hard to read due to the fact that it's
just filler text I got from running some stuff through the Gibberish
Generator (http://tinyurl.com/4aqn2).

saz

You might want to reconsider your claim about font-size being changeable
in "all" browsers. Try the code below.

<HTML>
<BODY>
<P style="font-size: 20px">
This is some text that won't change size in IE.
</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Does that change size for you in IE when you change View->Text Size?? It
doesn't for me.

Oli

I fully agree that it will not work with specified pixel size. My
example used everything except pixels:

"But your average viewer will not adjust his font size, so you need to
choose a font that looks good in a typical resolution. This font at a
"3", 1em, 100%, or whatever is too small. It is much better as it is
now in Arial instead of a fantasy font."

My issue is that I find the poster "rf" extremely arrogant. He needs to
be knocked down a few notches - he feels compelled to coment, yet he
clearly does not have any understanding of proper web design.

saz

Good day, I'm requesting a test of my page. Before some guru comes back
with how lame the page is, please understand that I'm not a web designer.
I'm just a gardener who is trying to learn css. The page is being served
off my personal machine and the speeds are poor, hence the lack of lots of
graphics.

Like I've said before, I'm trying to learn css and how to position boxes,
so the page is more about structure than graphic style.
Thanks for looking.

http://yardworks.no-ip.com

The new version is a big improvement over what you originally posted for
viewing. Congrats to you for accepting all the feedback and making the
corrections.

Barbara de Zoete

My issue is that I find the poster "rf" extremely arrogant. He needs to
be knocked down a few notches - he feels compelled to coment, yet he
clearly does not have any understanding of proper web design.

ROFL ROFL lol

--
,--- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses:
------------.

Timothy

The new version is a big improvement over what you originally posted for
viewing. Congrats to you for accepting all the feedback and making the
corrections.

That's why I posted here. I just want to learn to do the job right. Thanks
to all who directed me in a better direction.....

rf

saz said:
I can't tell you how many times
I heard "The writing on this webpage is too small to read".

That is exactlyl the point. If the boneheaded author had not specified any
font size at all then all would be fine.

It's only the stupidity of authors who specify fly dropping sized fonts, and
usually in pixels, that cause the problem.

I'll ignore your other strawman argument points.

Oli Filth

saz said:
I fully agree that it will not work with specified pixel size. My
example used everything except pixels:

Apologies. Didn't read your post properly!

rf

Richard said:
You're getting closer.

Clue: Look up psuedo class.

What has a pseudo class (which the OP already uses correctly) do to with
getting rid of blank spaces. Absolutely nothing. I suggest *you* look up
pseudo class, RtS.
The <a> tag can be defined to get rid of all those blank spaces.

Or define the division better.

And what good would that do?
Good job so far.

I agree. Far better than the one you are doing. At least Timothy didn't have
to steal his content.