test to see if object exists with new/delete usage

Squid Seven

I create a pointer to an item:

CardSession *cardSession;

Then, later, I use new to create an instance of the item and assign it
to that pointer:

cardSession = new CardSession();

In another function, I want to test if an object is assigned to that
pointer, and delete the object if that is so:

if( cardSession )
delete cardSession;

I thought this would work, but then I discovered that, if cardSession
had *ever* been assigned a CardSession object with new, then the if
statement executes the delete command, even if the object had since been
deleted. Thus, I sometimes get an item doubly deleted with this code -
an undefined behavior that I think is causing my program to crash. Note
that if I have not yet used new in the program to assign an object to
cardSession, the if statement does not execute.

Could somebody explain this to me? Am I not understanding pointer usage
correctly, or is it innapropriate usage of new/delete? How can I do
this in an efficient fashion, without managing a global pointer to be
modified everytime I create or delete an object?

Squid Seven

Squid said:
[...]

meant to say "without managing a global *flag* to be..." - sorry

Matthias Kluwe

I create a pointer to an item:
CardSession *cardSession;

Note that the pointer may not have NULL value here.
In another function, I want to test if an object is assigned to that
pointer, and delete the object if that is so:
if( cardSession )
delete cardSession;

This does not test if the pointer points to an object.
I thought this would work, but then I discovered that, if cardSession
had *ever* been assigned a CardSession object with new, then the if
statement executes the delete command, even if the object had since been
deleted. Thus, I sometimes get an item doubly deleted with this code -
an undefined behavior that I think is causing my program to crash. Note
that if I have not yet used new in the program to assign an object to
cardSession, the if statement does not execute.

Depends on cardSessions's value obviously. You may explicitly set the
pointer to NULL initially or after deleting the pointed to object. It's
safe to call delete cardSession when cardSession==NULL.

Regards,
Matthias

Chad J McQuinn

Squid said:
I create a pointer to an item:

CardSession *cardSession;

Change this to

CardSession *cardSession = null;

It's good practice to initialize the variable.
if( cardSession )
delete cardSession;

I thought this would work, but then I discovered that, if cardSession
had *ever* been assigned a CardSession object with new, then the if
statement executes the delete command, even if the object had since been
deleted.

Yes. Either you don't understand what if(cardSession) does, or you don't
understand what delete does. For a pointer type such as the variable you
have here, the conditional

if(cardSession)

is a check to see whether cardSession is a null pointer or not--it does
NOT check if the pointed-to object is valid (and there is no way in
general to perform such a check in standard C++).

The subsequent delete statement destroys whatever is pointed to by
cardSession. If a valid object isn't there, you are likely to crash.

What you need to do here, and what is also good practice, is to add this
after you delete:

cardSession = null;

Also be aware that your check for whether cardSession is null is not
necessary. It is perfectly safe to delete a null pointer (but not an
invalid one), so just

delete cardSession;
cardSession=null;

in place of your original "if" will do the job.

-cjm

Squid Seven

Matthias said:
I create a pointer to an item:

CardSession *cardSession;

Note that the pointer may not have NULL value here.

[...]

[...]

OK - let me see if I follow... When I create the pointer, if I don't
initialize it to something, I don't know what it's pointing at - could
be null, could not be. Then, when I delete the object associated with
the pointer, while I am indicating that the memory pointed at is
available for other use, the pointer still points at that memory, until
assigned to something else, and so causes the if statement to execute
it's contents?

Also, if this does not test if the pointer points to an object, how do I
test for it?

Thanks for your time Matthias

Me

Squid said:
I create a pointer to an item:

CardSession *cardSession;

Then, later, I use new to create an instance of the item and assign it
to that pointer:

cardSession = new CardSession();

In another function, I want to test if an object is assigned to that
pointer, and delete the object if that is so:

if( cardSession )
delete cardSession;

Unless you overloaded a new operator to have a throw() somewhere, the
default one doesn't return null on failure, it throws bad_alloc. Also,
you don't need to check for null when you delete, the delete operator
does that check for you.
I thought this would work, but then I discovered that, if cardSession
had *ever* been assigned a CardSession object with new, then the if
statement executes the delete command, even if the object had since been
deleted. Thus, I sometimes get an item doubly deleted with this code -
an undefined behavior that I think is causing my program to crash. Note
that if I have not yet used new in the program to assign an object to
cardSession, the if statement does not execute.

Could somebody explain this to me? Am I not understanding pointer usage
correctly, or is it innapropriate usage of new/delete? How can I do
this in an efficient fashion, without managing a global pointer to be
modified everytime I create or delete an object?

Ok, I see what you're trying to do. delete is allowed to set the
pointer to null, but most implementations, like yours, don't do that.
So you have to explicitly write this as:

delete cardSession;
cardSession = 0;

This doesn't work if you do:

void foo(Card *c)
{
delete c;
c = 0;
}

Card *c = new Card();
foo(c);
// c points to garbage instead of null

You can rewrite that as:

void foo(Card *&c)
{
delete c;
c = 0;
}

and now it will correctly set the c that was passed to foo() to null.

Squid Seven

Chad said:
[...]

When I try:

CardSession *cardSession = null;

I get the error message "'null' was not declared in this scope." Is
that a compiler-specific issue? Can I simply use:

CardSession *cardSession = 0;

as someone else suggested, and still not have to test before calling delete?

Thanks much for helping out a newbie guys.

Squid Seven

Squid said:
When I try:

CardSession *cardSession = null;

I get the error message "'null' was not declared in this scope." Is
that a compiler-specific issue? Can I simply use:

CardSession *cardSession = 0;

as someone else suggested, and still not have to test before calling
delete?

Thanks much for helping out a newbie guys.

Oh, it was compiler-dependent. I need to use 'NULL', not 'null'.

All set now, thanks much.

Chad J McQuinn

Squid said:
CardSession *cardSession = null;

I get the error message "'null' was not declared in this scope." Is
that a compiler-specific issue? Can I simply use:

CardSession *cardSession = 0;

as someone else suggested, and still not have to test before calling
delete?

Yes, sorry about that, it should be 'NULL' (not 'null') which should be
a #define for 0, so those two should be equivalent. This is in C++; in
plain C, as well as with some older compilers, you might see it #defined
to something else, such as (void*)0, which causes problems. For this
reason you'll see a lot of people use a literal zero as you just did. It
also avoids having to remember if it's NULL or null. :)

-cjm

Matthias Kluwe

OK - let me see if I follow... When I create the pointer, if I don't
initialize it to something, I don't know what it's pointing at - could
be null, could not be. Then, when I delete the object associated with
the pointer, while I am indicating that the memory pointed at is
available for other use, the pointer still points at that memory, until
assigned to something else, and so causes the if statement to execute
it's contents?

Exactly. You cannot rely on the value of an unitialized variable
(pointer or not). You cannot rely on a pointer of some type pointing to
an object of this type (you have to care by yourself).
Also, if this does not test if the pointer points to an object, how do I
test for it?

As said in the thread, you can assing the value 0 (or NULL if you
really like to) to indicate no object is pointed to.

Alternatively, program logic should ensure that some function handling
the pointer is only called when this makes sense ...

Regards,
Matthias

Stuart MacMartin

The short answer, hidden in all these replies is: use this idiom:

CardSession* cardSession = 0;

if (cardSession) {delete cardSession; cardSession = 0;}

Stuart

msalters

Me schreef:
Ok, I see what you're trying to do. delete is allowed to set the
pointer to null

Actually, it isn't. The pointer being deleted might be const and/or
volatile, in which case a write would be bad news. Of course, IF the
ocmpiler can prove it doesn't matter, it might do so - but if it
provably doesn't matter, why bother?

Regards,
Michiel Salters