[Test::Unit] Asserting exception messages?

Daniel Schierbeck

I've been looking around, but I haven't found a simple way of asserting
that a raised exception has a specific message. RSpec can do this quite
easily:

lambda{ @fixture.foo }.should_raise(FooError,
'out of foo, try our delicious bar instead!')

I know I can do this:

def test_raises_foo_with_correct_message
@fixture.foo
rescue FooError => e
unless e.message == 'out of foo, try our delicious bar instead!'
flunk 'raised with wrong message'
end
else
flunk 'did not raise exception'
end

But that's rather inelegant. This is what I'd like to have:

assert_raise FooException, BarException,
'out of foo and bar. try baz!' do
@fixture.foo
end

So what's your thoughts?

Cheers,
Daniel Schierbeck

Eric Hodel

I've been looking around, but I haven't found a simple way of
asserting
that a raised exception has a specific message. RSpec can do this
quite
easily:

lambda{ @fixture.foo }.should_raise(FooError,
'out of foo, try our delicious bar instead!')

So does Test::Unit.

e = assert_raise BlahError do ... end
assert_equal 'something', e.message

Daniel Schierbeck

So does Test::Unit.

e = assert_raise BlahError do ... end
assert_equal 'something', e.message

Very nice, didn't think about checking the return value!

Thanks!