Test::Unit - Ruby Unit Testing Framework Questions

Bill Mosteller

Recently, we collected several (29) Selenium Ruby scripts and put them
into a unit test that runs whenever there’s a build of our product.
That’s been reasonably successful, but our developers would like more.
Specifically, they would like us to include asserts inside of our
scripts.

I see two challenges to this. First, I need guidance on when to code an
assertion. I have some ideas, but like all the open source
documentation I see so far, the emphasis seems to be on syntax rather
than semantics.

Second, I’m a little concerned about inconvenience when I’m debugging an
individual test in the unit test package. The following are real code
examples from my environment.

Run the campaign canvas script under IE:

Today:
driver $ ca
(11 characters)

With Test::Unit:
selenium_tests.rb --name test_create_canvas
(45 characters, and I cannot pick the browser)

Driver.rb invokes the browser of choice ($ in this case, the default is
Firefox if it cannot make out what you asked for), then runs the chosen
script (ca, chosen out of an if/elsif stack with case insensitivity and
matching to the string supplied, even if it’s abbreviated).

With Test::Unit: I lose the ability to pick browser and have to do a
lot more typing to pick a test, and that typing has to be spot on. I
can help the latter problem with some careful re-naming.

I had thought to turn driver into a unit test by surrounding it with the
basic code, but I cannot figure out how to get to the ARGV array once I
do that, so I cannot read the command line.

Bill Mosteller | Test Automation | office: (703) 584-2768
| fax: (703) 584-2751
(e-mail address removed) | Eloqua www.eloqua.com | 1921 Gallows Road,
Suite 250, Vienna, VA 22182