    using testbench waveform part of xilinx ise.

    regards
    nisheeth

    Nisheeth, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Nisheeth wrote:
    > i am new to vhdl and xilinx. using tutorials i was able to use
    > corgen for generating a core for DPRAM,multiplication , summation etc.
    > in dpram coregen i specified the ".coe" file which will be loaded in
    > it during simulation.

    Coregen is the X-path to black-box design entry.
    There is a similar A-path.
    On these paths, an HDL netlist or a schematic
    is used to wire up the black boxes.
    Such netlists are sometimes loaded and tested by trial and error,
    or tested using a waveform-based simulator.
    The advantage to this path is that you can get
    some work done without having to learn an HDL.
    You can read all about this process on comp.arch.fpga

    The alternative path is HDL synthesis and simulation.
    Code written using standard synthesis templates
    can generate equivalent logic, but can also be
    tested *before* it is reduced to LUTS and flops
    and even before a device is selected.
    There is a reference design and testbench here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/
    if you are interested in learning vhdl for synthesis
    and simulation.

    > my project reads the data from dpram1 processes it and saves it
    > to dpram2. how to write a testbench that will save the results being
    > stored in dpram in a file for viewing it ? or should i say how to read
    > the contents of dpram2 after simulation is over ?

    The purpose of a testbench is to verify that your
    design module/entity responds to inputs exactly
    as you expect. The simulator provides waveforms
    for debugging, but the ultimate goal is a PASS/FAIL result.
    Make the testbench do the work, so that you don't have to.

    Good luck.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Feb 28, 2005