testers needed

richard

A picture of gallows and letter choices and I got only the A wrong (and
the noose) on REMOVED. I was pleased by my early guess of V. wtf are you
doing? No, I withdraw that question, I probably don't need to know.

Thank you.
This is a new method of creating applications that work within a web
page. It works without you having to install anything unlike java
applets or flash.

The code is written in a hybrid version of BASIC and translated to a
web page.

www.runbasic.com and www.libertybasic.com

David Segall

richard said:
http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman

What do you get?

No page.
"404"
A login page with username/password
A picture of gallows and letter choices?

This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.

What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
BASIC language.

It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

richard

It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

This is just a demo that came with the application itself.
It's only intent is to show how the application works and the coding
for it.

richard

A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game. I think part of the
slowness is caused by having to load the whole page again for every
letter. The only thing I liked about it was the blocking-out of no longer
available letters.

Is it intended to be used only in the USA? It felt like the letters were
trying to swim the Atlantic.

Irina

The reloading is probably due to the coding which is designed to help
show how the coding works.

David Segall

richard said:
This is just a demo that came with the application itself.
It's only intent is to show how the application works and the coding
for it.

Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
an Ajax style application.

dorayme

David Segall said:
Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
an Ajax style application.

Richard said it was just a testing exercise.

dorayme

Irina Rempt said:
A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game.

Not at this end. It was fast enough. It was at the level of beauty that
is exactly right for Hangman. I go to a lot of real hangings, it passes
the time, and I can assure you they are clunky affairs. I think Richard
is a deeper artist - with a canny sense of the appropriate - than you
realise.

richard

Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
an Ajax style application.

This are only a test.
There will be a lot more to come in the near future.
I only used this hangman because it was readily available.

richard

Not at this end. It was fast enough. It was at the level of beauty that
is exactly right for Hangman. I go to a lot of real hangings, it passes
the time, and I can assure you they are clunky affairs. I think Richard
is a deeper artist - with a canny sense of the appropriate - than you
realise.

Depends on how ya define "artist".
I can barely draw a square or a circle freehand.
On a more complex version of the game, you would not even see the
"refreshing" which is actually a "redraw".

One of the regulars on the Run Basic BBS has a rather complex program
on her site that shows no refreshing what so ever.

I am working on two projects where this technology will come in handy.
Instead of the old fashioned page jumping, you get the information
quicker and without any refreshing or reloading. Kind of like flash
but without the gawdyness and requirements to install something on
your end.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
This are only a test.
There will be a lot more to come in the near future.

How about you find a Runbasic group to ask your questions?

Chaddy2222

How about you find a Runbasic group to ask your questions?
On the subject of Runbasic, it is baysicly software that will not run
on a shared hosting environment, which means it is useless as no web
hosting company would bother installing it and why would they!.
You would need to buy a dedicated server to run it, as I doubt that
you could even install it on a VPS, without the hosting company
getting pissed off, as it would be software they would not have heard
of.
Point of the story, most of us will need a bloody really good reason
to even install runbasic over something like PHP or perl.

rf

Chaddy2222 said:
On the subject of Runbasic, it is baysicly software that will not run
on a shared hosting environment, which means it is useless as no web
hosting company would bother installing it and why would they!.
You would need to buy a dedicated server to run it, as I doubt that
you could even install it on a VPS, without the hosting company
getting pissed off, as it would be software they would not have heard
of.
Point of the story, most of us will need a bloody really good reason
to even install runbasic over something like PHP or perl.

And also from the runbasic documentation:
<quote>
The following browsers are supported for use with Run BASIC. Internet
Explorer 6 and 7, Firefox 2.x, Safari 3.x.
</quote>

I guess that leaves me out, using FF3 :)

richard

On the subject of Runbasic, it is baysicly software that will not run
on a shared hosting environment, which means it is useless as no web
hosting company would bother installing it and why would they!.
You would need to buy a dedicated server to run it, as I doubt that
you could even install it on a VPS, without the hosting company
getting pissed off, as it would be software they would not have heard
of.
Point of the story, most of us will need a bloody really good reason
to even install runbasic over something like PHP or perl.

Well dear boy, who was willing to install PHP, Flash, PDF, ASP,
Python, or even use javascript, and java when they first came into
being?
Not to mention that tripe little thing that was the bare bones of a
cute little gadget known as windows 1.0.

In 1995 the only way to present a website was with tables.
CSS comes along and changes the way we did things.

Run Basic is cutting edge technology. Just as Flash was only a few
years ago. You know that laptop you got? That side of technology was
started simply by one company introducing a little gadget they thought
nobody would buy. It all starts somewhere.

Mel Smith

richard said:
Well dear boy, who was willing to install PHP, Flash, PDF, ASP,
Python, or even use javascript, and java when they first came into
being?
Not to mention that tripe little thing that was the bare bones of a
cute little gadget known as windows 1.0.

In 1995 the only way to present a website was with tables.
CSS comes along and changes the way we did things.

Run Basic is cutting edge technology. Just as Flash was only a few
years ago. You know that laptop you got? That side of technology was
started simply by one company introducing a little gadget they thought
nobody would buy. It all starts somewhere.

Richard:

I'm a neophyte at html and presentation but am quite expert at business
apps and databases (xBase style).

I have two sites I'm building which use the C-based language (Harbour -
www.xharbour.com) (in a cgi-bin subdir) to handle all calls from my Apache
2.2.10 server.

I downloaded your RunBasic (the last time I used Basic was in the middle
'80s ), and noted immediately its databases were handled by MySql.

Sorry, but all my database work is lightning fast and uses
DBFCDX-structured databases (similar to FoxPro) and the databases I use are
at finger-point for me.. I'm not going to waste my time on MySql now. Its
too late :((

But, Good Luck !

-Mel Smith

David Segall

dorayme

David Segall said:
He did and, despite some evidence to the contrary, I still think you
are Poppy <http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2265598.htm> at
heart. I am much more cynical and I think he is just trying to
advertise Run Basic <http://tinyurl.com/runbasic1>.

Perhaps, but maybe he is a testing sort of a guy.
[OT]
I'm eagerly awaiting an email to the address at
<http://www.profectus.com.au/contact.html> so that I can add the rest
of your ratings to our film diary.

Someone asked me a few years back to list the top ten best films and I
had great difficulty because there were too many I regarded as perfect
enough to qualify for 5 stars. And I am often regarded as some sort of
grump with films. But will do.

When I can remember, I "add this movie" to a list at IMDb if it is not
quite awful. Have not rated yet though and there are literally
*countless* missing as yet...

http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=37848012