    What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
    An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
    BASIC language.

    richard, Feb 28, 2009

  2. richard

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Feb 28, 2009

  3. On 2009-02-28, richard wrote:
    > http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >
    > What do you get?

    A newly generated page with a transitional doctype that doesn't
    match the content of the page.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Feb 28, 2009
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 08:24:48 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >>
    >> What do you get?
    >>

    >A picture of gallows and letter choices and I got only the A wrong (and
    >the noose) on REMOVED. I was pleased by my early guess of V. wtf are you
    >doing? No, I withdraw that question, I probably don't need to know.

    Thank you.
    This is a new method of creating applications that work within a web
    page. It works without you having to install anything unlike java
    applets or flash.

    The code is written in a hybrid version of BASIC and translated to a
    web page.

    www.runbasic.com and www.libertybasic.com

    richard, Feb 28, 2009
  5. richard

    Irina Rempt Guest

    On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:07, richard wrote:

    > http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >
    > What do you get?

    A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game. I think part of the
    slowness is caused by having to load the whole page again for every
    letter. The only thing I liked about it was the blocking-out of no longer
    available letters.

    Is it intended to be used only in the USA? It felt like the letters were
    trying to swim the Atlantic.

    Irina

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

    Irina Rempt, Mar 1, 2009
  6. richard

    David Segall Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >
    >What do you get?
    >
    >No page.
    >"404"
    >A login page with username/password
    >A picture of gallows and letter choices?
    >
    >This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.
    >
    >What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
    >An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
    >BASIC language.

    It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
    the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

    David Segall, Mar 1, 2009
  7. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:45:45 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote:

    >richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >>
    >>What do you get?
    >>
    >>No page.
    >>"404"
    >>A login page with username/password
    >>A picture of gallows and letter choices?
    >>
    >>This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.
    >>
    >>What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
    >>An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
    >>BASIC language.

    >It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
    >the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

    This is just a demo that came with the application itself.
    It's only intent is to show how the application works and the coding
    for it.

    richard, Mar 1, 2009
  8. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:06:52 +0100, Irina Rempt <>
    wrote:

    >On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:07, richard wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >>
    >> What do you get?

    >A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game. I think part of the
    >slowness is caused by having to load the whole page again for every
    >letter. The only thing I liked about it was the blocking-out of no longer
    >available letters.
    >
    >Is it intended to be used only in the USA? It felt like the letters were
    >trying to swim the Atlantic.
    >
    > Irina

    The reloading is probably due to the coding which is designed to help
    show how the coding works.

    richard, Mar 1, 2009
  9. richard

    David Segall Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:45:45 GMT, David Segall <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >>>
    >>>What do you get?
    >>>
    >>>No page.
    >>>"404"
    >>>A login page with username/password
    >>>A picture of gallows and letter choices?
    >>>
    >>>This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.
    >>>
    >>>What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
    >>>An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
    >>>BASIC language.

    >>It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
    >>the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

    >This is just a demo that came with the application itself.
    >It's only intent is to show how the application works and the coding
    >for it.

    Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
    be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
    interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
    has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
    an Ajax style application.

    David Segall, Mar 1, 2009
  10. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
    > be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
    > interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
    > has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
    > an Ajax style application.

    Richard said it was just a testing exercise.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 1, 2009
  11. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:07, richard wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    > >
    > > What do you get?

    > A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game.

    Not at this end. It was fast enough. It was at the level of beauty that
    is exactly right for Hangman. I go to a lot of real hangings, it passes
    the time, and I can assure you they are clunky affairs. I think Richard
    is a deeper artist - with a canny sense of the appropriate - than you
    realise.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 1, 2009
  12. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 16:01:49 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote:

    >richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:45:45 GMT, David Segall <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
    >>>the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

    >>This is just a demo that came with the application itself.
    >>It's only intent is to show how the application works and the coding
    >>for it.

    >Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
    >be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
    >interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
    >has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
    >an Ajax style application.

    This are only a test.
    There will be a lot more to come in the near future.
    I only used this hangman because it was readily available.

    richard, Mar 1, 2009
  13. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 05:18:58 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Irina Rempt <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:07, richard wrote:
    >>
    >> > http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=hangman
    >> >
    >> > What do you get?

    >> A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game.

    >Not at this end. It was fast enough. It was at the level of beauty that
    >is exactly right for Hangman. I go to a lot of real hangings, it passes
    >the time, and I can assure you they are clunky affairs. I think Richard
    >is a deeper artist - with a canny sense of the appropriate - than you
    >realise.

    Depends on how ya define "artist".
    I can barely draw a square or a circle freehand.
    On a more complex version of the game, you would not even see the
    "refreshing" which is actually a "redraw".

    One of the regulars on the Run Basic BBS has a rather complex program
    on her site that shows no refreshing what so ever.

    I am working on two projects where this technology will come in handy.
    Instead of the old fashioned page jumping, you get the information
    quicker and without any refreshing or reloading. Kind of like flash
    but without the gawdyness and requirements to install something on
    your end.

    richard, Mar 1, 2009
  14. richard wrote:

    > This are only a test.
    > There will be a lot more to come in the near future.

    How about you find a Runbasic group to ask your questions?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 1, 2009
  15. richard

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Mar 2, 7:38 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    > > This are only a test.
    > > There will be a lot more to come in the near future.

    > How about you find a Runbasic group to ask your questions?

    On the subject of Runbasic, it is baysicly software that will not run
    on a shared hosting environment, which means it is useless as no web
    hosting company would bother installing it and why would they!.
    You would need to buy a dedicated server to run it, as I doubt that
    you could even install it on a VPS, without the hosting company
    getting pissed off, as it would be software they would not have heard
    of.
    Point of the story, most of us will need a bloody really good reason
    to even install runbasic over something like PHP or perl.

    Chaddy2222, Mar 2, 2009
  16. richard

    rf Guest

    Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 7:38 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> This are only a test.
    >>> There will be a lot more to come in the near future.

    >> How about you find a Runbasic group to ask your questions?
    >>

    > On the subject of Runbasic, it is baysicly software that will not run
    > on a shared hosting environment, which means it is useless as no web
    > hosting company would bother installing it and why would they!.
    > You would need to buy a dedicated server to run it, as I doubt that
    > you could even install it on a VPS, without the hosting company
    > getting pissed off, as it would be software they would not have heard
    > of.
    > Point of the story, most of us will need a bloody really good reason
    > to even install runbasic over something like PHP or perl.

    And also from the runbasic documentation:
    <quote>
    The following browsers are supported for use with Run BASIC. Internet
    Explorer 6 and 7, Firefox 2.x, Safari 3.x.
    </quote>

    I guess that leaves me out, using FF3 :)

    rf, Mar 2, 2009
  17. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 19:29:59 -0800 (PST), Chaddy2222
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 2, 7:38 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    ><> wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >> > This are only a test.
    >> > There will be a lot more to come in the near future.

    >> How about you find a Runbasic group to ask your questions?
    >>

    >On the subject of Runbasic, it is baysicly software that will not run
    >on a shared hosting environment, which means it is useless as no web
    >hosting company would bother installing it and why would they!.
    >You would need to buy a dedicated server to run it, as I doubt that
    >you could even install it on a VPS, without the hosting company
    >getting pissed off, as it would be software they would not have heard
    >of.
    >Point of the story, most of us will need a bloody really good reason
    >to even install runbasic over something like PHP or perl.

    Well dear boy, who was willing to install PHP, Flash, PDF, ASP,
    Python, or even use javascript, and java when they first came into
    being?
    Not to mention that tripe little thing that was the bare bones of a
    cute little gadget known as windows 1.0.

    In 1995 the only way to present a website was with tables.
    CSS comes along and changes the way we did things.

    Run Basic is cutting edge technology. Just as Flash was only a few
    years ago. You know that laptop you got? That side of technology was
    started simply by one company introducing a little gadget they thought
    nobody would buy. It all starts somewhere.

    richard, Mar 2, 2009
  18. richard

    Mel Smith Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Well dear boy, who was willing to install PHP, Flash, PDF, ASP,
    > Python, or even use javascript, and java when they first came into
    > being?
    > Not to mention that tripe little thing that was the bare bones of a
    > cute little gadget known as windows 1.0.
    >
    > In 1995 the only way to present a website was with tables.
    > CSS comes along and changes the way we did things.
    >
    > Run Basic is cutting edge technology. Just as Flash was only a few
    > years ago. You know that laptop you got? That side of technology was
    > started simply by one company introducing a little gadget they thought
    > nobody would buy. It all starts somewhere.

    Richard:

    I'm a neophyte at html and presentation but am quite expert at business
    apps and databases (xBase style).

    I have two sites I'm building which use the C-based language (Harbour -
    www.xharbour.com) (in a cgi-bin subdir) to handle all calls from my Apache
    2.2.10 server.

    I downloaded your RunBasic (the last time I used Basic was in the middle
    '80s ), and noted immediately its databases were handled by MySql.

    Sorry, but all my database work is lightning fast and uses
    DBFCDX-structured databases (similar to FoxPro) and the databases I use are
    at finger-point for me.. I'm not going to waste my time on MySql now. Its
    too late :((

    But, Good Luck !

    -Mel Smith

    Mel Smith, Mar 2, 2009
  19. richard

    David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > David Segall <> wrote:
    >
    >> Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
    >> be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
    >> interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
    >> has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
    >> an Ajax style application.

    >Richard said it was just a testing exercise.

    He did and, despite some evidence to the contrary, I still think you
    are Poppy <http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2265598.htm> at
    heart. I am much more cynical and I think he is just trying to
    advertise Run Basic <http://tinyurl.com/runbasic1>.

    [OT]
    I'm eagerly awaiting an email to the address at
    <http://www.profectus.com.au/contact.html> so that I can add the rest
    of your ratings to our film diary.

    David Segall, Mar 2, 2009
  20. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > David Segall <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
    > >> be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
    > >> interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
    > >> has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
    > >> an Ajax style application.

    > >Richard said it was just a testing exercise.

    > He did and, despite some evidence to the contrary, I still think you
    > are Poppy <http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2265598.htm> at
    > heart. I am much more cynical and I think he is just trying to
    > advertise Run Basic <http://tinyurl.com/runbasic1>.

    Perhaps, but maybe he is a testing sort of a guy.

    > [OT]
    > I'm eagerly awaiting an email to the address at
    > <http://www.profectus.com.au/contact.html> so that I can add the rest
    > of your ratings to our film diary.

    Someone asked me a few years back to list the top ten best films and I
    had great difficulty because there were too many I regarded as perfect
    enough to qualify for 5 stars. And I am often regarded as some sort of
    grump with films. But will do.

    When I can remember, I "add this movie" to a list at IMDb if it is not
    quite awful. Have not rated yet though and there are literally
    *countless* missing as yet...

    http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=37848012

    --
    dorayme