Testing a URL...

Graham Mattingley

Hi,

I have been running a site where people add there sites, so it is like a
database of URLS. Is there any way of testing if the URL is still active..

I think if the Domain list dont exist, then the page says "The page cannot
be displayed"
and if the folder dont exist the server may return something like "The page
cannot be found"

is it right that the above message are the friendly message that IE offers,
and infact the browser just gets a 404 error returned

How can I write a ASPscript to test if the domain name still exists,
www.domain.co.uk

and if the link in my database is on a sub folder like
www.deadsite.co.uk/is_it_here that a working index / default file is retuned
to the browser.

the problem is that as my database growns I will worried I will have dead
links that I will never find and will make my site look like it is not kept
updated.

Kind Regards

Graham Mattingley