Testing a URL...

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Graham Mattingley, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have been running a site where people add there sites, so it is like a
    database of URLS. Is there any way of testing if the URL is still active..

    I think if the Domain list dont exist, then the page says "The page cannot
    be displayed"
    and if the folder dont exist the server may return something like "The page
    cannot be found"

    is it right that the above message are the friendly message that IE offers,
    and infact the browser just gets a 404 error returned

    How can I write a ASPscript to test if the domain name still exists,
    www.domain.co.uk

    and if the link in my database is on a sub folder like
    www.deadsite.co.uk/is_it_here that a working index / default file is retuned
    to the browser.

    the problem is that as my database growns I will worried I will have dead
    links that I will never find and will make my site look like it is not kept
    updated.

    Kind Regards

    Graham Mattingley
    Graham Mattingley, Sep 6, 2003