testing ASP.NET apps over local network

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Colin Basterfield, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm sure the answer to this is trivial, but I don't know it yet...

    I have a ASP.NET app which I want to test across my local network, and I
    know I can just do

    \\<compname>\<appdir>

    where:

    <compname> is the name of the machine where the app is sitting

    <appdir> is the name of the directory under the c:\inetpub\wwwroot

    I have a default.aspx page set up.

    If I try from the remote machine, namely my wife's laptop on our local
    network it doesn't find it, so I am thinking that I don't have the right
    share/security set up, any ideas anyone???

    Many thanks
    Colin B

    Colin Basterfield, Jun 1, 2004

  2. You can reach a network share with a link such as the one you described..
    But! a ASP.NET application uses the "http" protocol and therefore you link
    should be formated as such
    http://<compname>/<appdir>

    you might skip the http:// in some browsers (nowdays, most of them ;-)).
    Allthough "/" must be used NOT! "\"..

    If you allready are knew this and just misstyped in your post..
    It would help if you supplied the http error code, wich could look something
    like this "http-error-404"..

    Anotherthing, look in IIS after wich filenames are set out to be default
    pages
    index.htm
    index.html
    default.htm
    default.html
    default.aspx

    and soforth..
    If nothing of this helps it could wery likely have to do with the
    access-rights

    Robert Wallström

    Robert Wallström, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Hi Robert,

    It turns out that although the Norton firewall had what I thought were the
    appropriate networks IP and shares added in, I hadn't completed the job, but
    now we have disabled it in favour of the hardware firewall in the router
    that has fixed the problem.

    Many thanks
    Colin Basterfield

    Colin Basterfield, Jun 6, 2004