testing ASP.NET apps over local network

Colin Basterfield

Hi,

I'm sure the answer to this is trivial, but I don't know it yet...

I have a ASP.NET app which I want to test across my local network, and I
know I can just do

\\<compname>\<appdir>

where:

<compname> is the name of the machine where the app is sitting

<appdir> is the name of the directory under the c:\inetpub\wwwroot

I have a default.aspx page set up.

If I try from the remote machine, namely my wife's laptop on our local
network it doesn't find it, so I am thinking that I don't have the right
share/security set up, any ideas anyone???

Many thanks
Colin B

Robert Wallström

You can reach a network share with a link such as the one you described..
But! a ASP.NET application uses the "http" protocol and therefore you link
should be formated as such
http://<compname>/<appdir>

you might skip the http:// in some browsers (nowdays, most of them ;-)).
Allthough "/" must be used NOT! "\"..

If you allready are knew this and just misstyped in your post..
It would help if you supplied the http error code, wich could look something
like this "http-error-404"..

Anotherthing, look in IIS after wich filenames are set out to be default
pages
index.htm
index.html
default.htm
default.html
default.aspx

and soforth..
If nothing of this helps it could wery likely have to do with the
access-rights

Robert Wallström

Colin Basterfield

Hi Robert,

It turns out that although the Norton firewall had what I thought were the
appropriate networks IP and shares added in, I hadn't completed the job, but
now we have disabled it in favour of the hardware firewall in the router
that has fixed the problem.

Many thanks
Colin Basterfield