Testing Bandwidth usage of an application

Marcus

I have a program that I wrote that connects to a remote server and
recieves data at random intervals. I'd like to measure the bandwidth
usage of this program. What is the best way to do this? Should I write
something into the app that can do this... if so, are there any useful
libraries for this purpose? Or, should I maybe look into using a third
party application... if so, can anyone here recommend a good one?

With much respect,
Marcus

Maxim Yegorushkin

Marcus said:
I have a program that I wrote that connects to a remote server and
recieves data at random intervals. I'd like to measure the bandwidth
usage of this program. What is the best way to do this? Should I write
something into the app that can do this... if so, are there any useful
libraries for this purpose? Or, should I maybe look into using a third
party application... if so, can anyone here recommend a good one?

Why don't you just count the bytes sent/received over the wire and
divide it on the time spent doing it?

Marcus

This was exactly my question... how does one "count the bytes"? Is
there a specific library you could point me to?

Tobias Blomkvist

Marcus sade:
This was exactly my question... how does one "count the bytes"? Is
there a specific library you could point me to?

With std::strlen =)

Sockets are pretty platform-dependent, but if you're using
unix function "read" then consult man-pages for its return value,

otherwise consult os-specific api documentation for similar return values.

Or get aquinted with what data you actually recieve.

Tobias

Maxim Yegorushkin

Marcus said:
This was exactly my question... how does one "count the bytes"? Is
there a specific library you could point me to?

recv() returns you read byte count or -1 on error. You recv(), don't
you?