    just for this reason.

    thanks,
    Jon

    Jon Slaughter, Apr 13, 2007

  2. Jon Slaughter wrote:

    > How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to
    > install every browser?

    Install several. No need to install hundreds. You have IE (and should
    test in IE6, too), you have Firefox, add Opera, and maybe OffByOne just
    for fun.

    > Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let
    > you turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS,
    > etc...

    Install this extension in Firefox:
    http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
    The PrefBar is also worthy; kill JavaScript and others with a toolbar
    checkbox.
    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    > I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for
    > backwards compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of
    > crap on my computer just for this reason.

    This web developer toolbar is definitely not crap. Well worth it.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 13, 2007

  3. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Jon Slaughter wrote:
    >
    >> How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to
    >> install every browser?

    > Install several. No need to install hundreds. You have IE (and should
    > test in IE6, too), you have Firefox, add Opera, and maybe OffByOne just
    > for fun.
    >
    >> Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let
    >> you turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS,
    >> etc...

    > Install this extension in Firefox:
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
    > The PrefBar is also worthy; kill JavaScript and others with a toolbar
    > checkbox.
    > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    >
    >> I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for
    >> backwards compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of
    >> crap on my computer just for this reason.

    > This web developer toolbar is definitely not crap. Well worth it.
    >
    > --

    Ok, I hae a few of these things installed but after I installed them firefox
    crashes randomly. This happened, I think, when the new upgrade came out. I
    just disabled most of the things I had to find out which ones are causing
    the problem.

    Thanks,
    Jon

    Jon Slaughter, Apr 13, 2007
  4. Jon Slaughter

    Bergamot Guest

    Jon Slaughter wrote:

    > Ok, I hae a few of these things installed but after I installed them firefox
    > crashes randomly. This happened, I think, when the new upgrade came out.

    When you upgrade Firefox, you should also check for upgrades to your
    installed extensions. Incompatible versions can easily cause the browser
    to become unstable.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Apr 14, 2007
  5. "Bergamot" <> wrote in message
    > Jon Slaughter wrote:
    >>
    >> Ok, I hae a few of these things installed but after I installed them
    >> firefox
    >> crashes randomly. This happened, I think, when the new upgrade came out.

    > When you upgrade Firefox, you should also check for upgrades to your
    > installed extensions. Incompatible versions can easily cause the browser
    > to become unstable.

    I did but there were no upgrades. Right now I disabled everything because it
    was still crashing. See if the plugins are the real problem or not.

    Thanks,
    Jon

    Jon Slaughter, Apr 14, 2007
  6. Jon Slaughter

    mr rudeforth Guest

    "Jon Slaughter" <> wrote in message
    > How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to

    install
    > every browser?
    >
    > Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let you
    > turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS, etc...
    >
    > I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for

    backwards
    > compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of crap on my

    computer
    > just for this reason.

    http://browsershots.org/

    stick url in
    goes to new page
    tick all browser options required
    tick 4hours
    save page to desktop for an easy return to look at the damage

    mr rudeforth, Apr 14, 2007
  7. "mr rudeforth" <> wrote in message

    > "Jon Slaughter" <> wrote in message
    >> How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to

    > install
    >> every browser?
    >>
    >> Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let you
    >> turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS, etc...
    >>
    >> I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for

    > backwards
    >> compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of crap on my

    > computer
    >> just for this reason.
    >>

    > http://browsershots.org/
    >
    > stick url in
    > goes to new page
    > tick all browser options required
    > tick 4hours
    > save page to desktop for an easy return to look at the damage

    Awesome. I was wondering if something like this has been done. Next they
    just need to add the ability for an interactive testing. (maybe something
    like VNC)

    Thanks,
    Jon

    Jon Slaughter, Apr 14, 2007
  8. scripts.contact, Apr 14, 2007
  9. Jon Slaughter

    Bergamot Guest

    Jon Slaughter wrote:
    > "mr rudeforth" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> http://browsershots.org/

    > Awesome.

    Not really. It can only give a very general idea of how any particular
    browser will render a page. It does not tell you how it handles
    variations in text or window size, what happens with JavaScript (or with
    it disabled) and a host of other variable browser settings.

    If you rely only on this service to test your pages, you'll be disappointed.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Apr 14, 2007
  10. Jon Slaughter

    mr rudeforth Guest

    "Bergamot" <> wrote in message
    > Jon Slaughter wrote:
    > > "mr rudeforth" <> wrote in message
    > >>>
    > >> http://browsershots.org/

    > > Awesome.

    > Not really. It can only give a very general idea of how any particular
    > browser will render a page. It does not tell you how it handles
    > variations in text or window size, what happens with JavaScript (or with
    > it disabled) and a host of other variable browser settings.
    >
    > If you rely only on this service to test your pages, you'll be

    disappointed.

    i rely on it for layoutonly so it is fine.
    oh and it can be configured how you wish in regards to javascript, etc

    mr rudeforth, Apr 14, 2007
  11. Jon Slaughter

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "mr rudeforth" <> wrote:

    > "Bergamot" <> wrote in message
    > > Jon Slaughter wrote:
    > > > "mr rudeforth" <> wrote in message

    > > > Awesome.

    > > Not really. It can only give a very general idea of how any particular
    > > browser will render a page. It does not tell you how it handles
    > > variations in text or window size, what happens with JavaScript (or with
    > > it disabled) and a host of other variable browser settings.
    > >
    > > If you rely only on this service to test your pages, you'll be

    > disappointed.
    > >

    > i rely on it for layoutonly so it is fine.
    > oh and it can be configured how you wish in regards to javascript, etc

    You are not getting Bergamot's point. Layout is not something
    independent of the text size users use.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 15, 2007
  12. Jon Slaughter

    mr rudeforth Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "mr rudeforth" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "Bergamot" <> wrote in message

    > > > Not really. It can only give a very general idea of how any particular
    > > > browser will render a page. It does not tell you how it handles
    > > > variations in text or window size, what happens with JavaScript (or

    with
    > > > it disabled) and a host of other variable browser settings.
    > > >
    > > > If you rely only on this service to test your pages, you'll be

    > > disappointed.
    > > >

    > > i rely on it for layoutonly so it is fine.
    > > oh and it can be configured how you wish in regards to javascript, etc

    > You are not getting Bergamot's point. Layout is not something
    > independent of the text size users use.

    text size i can do for myself because i have opera (as my default browser)
    as well as IE and firefox and netscape on my computer, browsershots i use
    for linux and mac and other (combinations i havent thought of) things. so i
    combine what i can do with what i cannot in order to get an idea of how
    things are looking.

    mr rudeforth, Apr 15, 2007
  13. Jon Slaughter

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "mr rudeforth" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > "mr rudeforth" <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Bergamot" <> wrote in message

    > with

    > > > disappointed.
    > > > >
    > > > i rely on it for layoutonly so it is fine.
    > > > oh and it can be configured how you wish in regards to javascript, etc

    > > You are not getting Bergamot's point. Layout is not something
    > > independent of the text size users use.
    > >

    > text size i can do for myself because i have opera (as my default browser)
    > as well as IE and firefox and netscape on my computer, browsershots i use
    > for linux and mac and other (combinations i havent thought of) things. so i
    > combine what i can do with what i cannot in order to get an idea of how
    > things are looking.

    Fair enough, we all do what we can. I suppose I had in mind, (and
    Bergamot too perhaps?), that under different text sizes,
    different browsers might have different effects on the actual
    layout. So seeing the one effect in one browser might not quite
    do the trick. But perhaps you are doing what is as good as can be
    expected. Not meaning to be too hard on you here.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 15, 2007
  14. Jon Slaughter

    mr rudeforth Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "mr rudeforth" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    particular

    (or
    > > with

    etc

    > > > You are not getting Bergamot's point. Layout is not something
    > > > independent of the text size users use.
    > > >

    > > text size i can do for myself because i have opera (as my default

    browser)
    > > as well as IE and firefox and netscape on my computer, browsershots i

    use
    > > for linux and mac and other (combinations i havent thought of) things.

    so i
    > > combine what i can do with what i cannot in order to get an idea of how
    > > things are looking.

    > Fair enough, we all do what we can. I suppose I had in mind, (and
    > Bergamot too perhaps?), that under different text sizes,
    > different browsers might have different effects on the actual
    > layout. So seeing the one effect in one browser might not quite
    > do the trick. But perhaps you are doing what is as good as can be
    > expected. Not meaning to be too hard on you here.

    no problem sir.

    mr rudeforth, Apr 15, 2007