Testing for both IE 6 and IE 7 on single computer?

Warren Tang

Hi

I want to test my application for both IE 6 and IE 7 without using
another PC. Could you tell me how?

Regards
Warren

George

What do you mean by "memory"? What do you need memory for while testing?
It only consumes it while it's running... So when you done with your
application, test it... Then shutdown the virtual machine.

But it does consumes the harddrive space for your virtual HD, but it's
cheap.. and if you do not have couple gig to spare then it's time to add new
harddrive :)

George.

Warren Tang

George said:
What do you mean by "memory"? What do you need memory for while testing?
It only consumes it while it's running... So when you done with your
application, test it... Then shutdown the virtual machine.

The problem is I need to keep it running all the time, for example when
I test the CSS stuff.
But it does consumes the harddrive space for your virtual HD, but it's
cheap.. and if you do not have couple gig to spare then it's time to add
new harddrive :)

What I am using is a laptop with 60G HD, and with both Windows XP and
Linux installed. So it's at least not cheap for me.

Warren Tang

Mark said:
A complete waste of time.

Firstly, it doesn't support IE7 anywhere near standard usage. From the
site itself (http://tredosoft.com/IE7_standalone): .....

Secondly, the site mentions that the author finally "succeeded in
running an extremely crippled version of Internet Explorer 6 rendering
engine under Windows Vista". Again, that is no use to anyone! How ...

Life would become much simpler had Microsoft made something like
Multiple_IE! The fact is that IE 5.5, IE 6 are still widely used. You
might think everyone shall upgrade to IE7 but not everyone likes to do
it. Often I find I must test for at least IE5.5, IE6 and IE7 to cater
the end users. But the problem is, IE 8 is coming... How am I going to
afford it?

Warren Tang

Mark said:
I disagree totally. Virtual PC is the perfect solution for this.

That means I need a new PC or VPC (if ms provides one hopefully) every
version of IE - that's IE5.5, 6, 7 at least for now. (Frankly speaking
that sounds ridiculous once one knows that multiple versions of Firefox
can be run on a single machine.)

I was trying to figure out whether they are any alternatives, but found
there are not.
I suppose it depends whether you want to be a serious developer or not?

If you need more hardware, then buy more hardware. 250GB laptop hard
drives are really cheap these days.

Everyone was driven to upgrade and pay in order to keep up with the pace
of the technology. Bug I don't like the way they are thinking and doing
things. How can 250GB make me a serious developer and how can 60GB make
me not?

Sorry if I appears to be impolite but that's my opinion.

George

While I agree with you that life would be simpler.You need to answer the
question "For who would life be simpler"
You should understand that for millions of users it will not.. They do not
care and usually do not even know what IE is. They call it all "Internet".

For "developers"... Well I have much more "attention deserving" topics more
to bitch about. Like for example... who needs FireFox, Opera.... Live would
be much more simpler without them :)
And as you found out not many developers care about 1 gig of hard drive :)
So you certainly should not expect that Microsoft will care and develop the
their solutions based on usability of such small amount of people as
yourself.

So you just plain out of luck here....Sorry....

PS: I always develop then test in all versions I can get my hands on...
Usually everything works or nothing major happens.
So I am not sure why do you want to keep virtual PC running all the time.
But I am not hardcore CSS developer and do not do fnacy staff there...

George.

George

Warren Tang said:
That means I need a new PC or VPC (if ms provides one hopefully) every
version of IE - that's IE5.5, 6, 7 at least for now. (Frankly speaking
that sounds ridiculous once one knows that multiple versions of Firefox
can be run on a single machine.)

I was trying to figure out whether they are any alternatives, but found
there are not.

Everyone was driven to upgrade and pay in order to keep up with the pace
of the technology. Bug I don't like the way they are thinking and doing
things. How can 250GB make me a serious developer and how can 60GB make me
not?

Sorry if I appears to be impolite but that's my opinion.

I agree with you and would not go as far as Mark did and count money in
someone else's pocket.
I do not think that being a serious developer means that you should spend a
lot on technology and must have 5 servers in his house and personal T1
connection.

But the ability to overcome pain and find a solutiuon when things are not
working the way they suppose to (or the way we want them too) i call being
a developer. That is what we do almost everyday. Otherwise monkey could
program.

George.