Testing I18N web applications.

Gilbert Ostlethwaite

Hi

I'm trying to write a web-app that needs to accept form data using
either English, Greek or Russian characters. As a native English
speaker my system is set up with an English keyboard. I'm currently
constructing my unit tests by "manually" creating unicode strings that
I pass to my app, but frankly this is becoming a PITA.

Does anyone know of a java, web based "virtual keyboard" package that
I can use either directly enter or capture text to feed into my web-
app. An additional nicety would be the ability to frontend a text-
editor with this virtual keyboard to facilitate creating
internationalised resource packages to present error messages, labels
etc in multiple languages.

Any hints about how the "professionals" approach creating and testing
an appiication that needs to support input/output in multiple
languages would be appreciated.

Regards

RedGrittyBrick

Gilbert said:
I'm trying to write a web-app that needs to accept form data using
either English, Greek or Russian characters. As a native English
speaker my system is set up with an English keyboard. I'm currently
constructing my unit tests by "manually" creating unicode strings that
I pass to my app, but frankly this is becoming a PITA.

Does anyone know of a java, web based "virtual keyboard" package that
I can use either directly enter or capture text to feed into my web-
app. An additional nicety would be the ability to frontend a text-
editor with this virtual keyboard to facilitate creating
internationalised resource packages to present error messages, labels
etc in multiple languages.

Isn't that what your OS's IMEs do?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_method_editor

e.g.