testing on IE 5

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Marcus, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Does anyone know if it is possible to install IE 5 on Windows XP for
    testing purposes? I want to make sure my CSS displays correctly on both
    versions 5 and 6... I downloaded and installed ie5setup.exe and it went
    through it's whole process, but in the end restarted and did nothing
    (I'm assuming because it recognized that a newer version is already
    installed).

    If this is not possible, how do you all make sure your CSS displays
    correctly across browsers? Thanks in advance.

    Marcus
    Marcus, Jul 16, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Marcus

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Marcus wrote:

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to install IE 5 on Windows XP for
    > testing purposes? I want to make sure my CSS displays correctly on both
    > versions 5 and 6... I downloaded and installed ie5setup.exe and it went
    > through it's whole process, but in the end restarted and did nothing
    > (I'm assuming because it recognized that a newer version is already
    > installed).
    >
    > If this is not possible, how do you all make sure your CSS displays
    > correctly across browsers? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Marcus
    >


    You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

    Here's an url where you can download other versions:

    http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/

    Just unzip these versions and run them (you dont need to install them).

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
    SpaceGirl, Jul 16, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Marcus

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 16, 2004
    #3
  4. > You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

    Is there a way to get it so that you can experiment with using conditional
    comments, though? I can't test my conditional comments [used for IE5.5
    browsers] because my "fake" IE5.5 says that it's IE6 if you go to the About
    section.

    Any way around this?

    Thanks,
    Nick.
    e n | c k m a, Jul 17, 2004
    #4
  5. Marcus

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:DlWJc.1968$>
    Marcus <> said:

    > IE 5 on Windows


    5 years ago i would have tested with IE5, today you have got to be
    shpxvat joking.


    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Jul 17, 2004
    #5
  6. Marcus

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:32:38 GMT, e n | c k m a <> wrote:

    >> You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

    >
    > Is there a way to get it so that you can experiment with using
    > conditional
    > comments, though? I can't test my conditional comments [used for IE5.5
    > browsers] because my "fake" IE5.5 says that it's IE6 if you go to the
    > About
    > section.


    Huh?
    Neal, Jul 17, 2004
    #6
  7. > Huh?

    Sorry, i'll rephrase. My "fake" IE5.5 still thinks it's using the IE6
    engine... for example, if you go to the Help, About section it says it's
    IE6.0.whatever.etc...

    And if I try to use IE5.5 specific Conditional Comments, it won't work. It
    does work, however, when my Conditional Comments are aimed specifically at
    IE6.

    Any way around that problem for testing my conditional comments so I know
    they only work for IE5.5?
    e n | c k m a, Jul 17, 2004
    #7
  8. Marcus

    Els Guest

    e n | c k m a wrote:

    >> Huh?

    >
    > Sorry, i'll rephrase. My "fake" IE5.5 still thinks it's
    > using the IE6 engine... for example, if you go to the Help,
    > About section it says it's IE6.0.whatever.etc...
    >
    > And if I try to use IE5.5 specific Conditional Comments, it
    > won't work. It does work, however, when my Conditional
    > Comments are aimed specifically at IE6.
    >
    > Any way around that problem for testing my conditional
    > comments so I know they only work for IE5.5?


    Sounds to me like your fake 5.5 is not at all 5.5.
    I have 3, 4, 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0 installed on XP, and they all
    give their real version number in the help - about section.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jul 17, 2004
    #8
  9. Marcus

    SpaceGirl Guest

    e n | c k m a wrote:

    >>You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

    >
    >
    > Is there a way to get it so that you can experiment with using conditional
    > comments, though? I can't test my conditional comments [used for IE5.5
    > browsers] because my "fake" IE5.5 says that it's IE6 if you go to the About
    > section.
    >
    > Any way around this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick.
    >
    >


    Did you actually READ the page I sent you to? IE 5.5 uses a common
    dialogue, so it says 6.0. It's NOT though... the rendering engine is
    5.5. Read the page I sent you to again, it explains all of this.

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
    SpaceGirl, Jul 17, 2004
    #9
  10. Marcus

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Els wrote:

    > e n | c k m a wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>Huh?

    >>
    >>Sorry, i'll rephrase. My "fake" IE5.5 still thinks it's
    >>using the IE6 engine... for example, if you go to the Help,
    >>About section it says it's IE6.0.whatever.etc...
    >>
    >>And if I try to use IE5.5 specific Conditional Comments, it
    >>won't work. It does work, however, when my Conditional
    >>Comments are aimed specifically at IE6.
    >>
    >>Any way around that problem for testing my conditional
    >>comments so I know they only work for IE5.5?

    >
    >
    > Sounds to me like your fake 5.5 is not at all 5.5.
    > I have 3, 4, 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0 installed on XP, and they all
    > give their real version number in the help - about section.
    >


    My copy of IE 5.5 says 6 in ther version, however it isn't. Odd that
    yours does. Where'd you get your versions from Els?

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
    SpaceGirl, Jul 17, 2004
    #10
  11. Marcus

    Els Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> e n | c k m a wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sorry, i'll rephrase. My "fake" IE5.5 still thinks it's
    >>>using the IE6 engine... for example, if you go to the
    >>>Help, About section it says it's IE6.0.whatever.etc...
    >>>
    >>>And if I try to use IE5.5 specific Conditional Comments,
    >>>it won't work. It does work, however, when my Conditional
    >>>Comments are aimed specifically at IE6.

    >>
    >> Sounds to me like your fake 5.5 is not at all 5.5.
    >> I have 3, 4, 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0 installed on XP, and they
    >> all give their real version number in the help - about
    >> section.

    >
    > My copy of IE 5.5 says 6 in ther version, however it isn't.
    > Odd that yours does. Where'd you get your versions from
    > Els?


    Whoops.. tried it again, and you're right.
    They all say 6.0 etc, I got it mixed up with the logo above
    it, that gives the real number. Except for 5.5, that only says
    Internet Explorer.
    Sorry!

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Cristina Aguilera - Fighter
    Els, Jul 17, 2004
    #11
  12. > Did you actually READ the page I sent you to? IE 5.5 uses a common
    > dialogue, so it says 6.0. It's NOT though... the rendering engine is
    > 5.5. Read the page I sent you to again, it explains all of this.


    So should I just assume that my conditional comments work? [I'm not the OP,
    btw.]
    You didn't quite answer my question - is there a way to test my conditional
    comments? I'll check the page again but I doubt it'll answer my question.

    Thanks for your time though,
    Nick
    e n | c k m a, Jul 17, 2004
    #12
  13. Marcus

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Els wrote:


    > Whoops.. tried it again, and you're right.
    > They all say 6.0 etc, I got it mixed up with the logo above
    > it, that gives the real number. Except for 5.5, that only says
    > Internet Explorer.
    > Sorry!
    >


    S'okay :) Morning btw! Nice day for sitting in front of the computer...
    at home!

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
    SpaceGirl, Jul 17, 2004
    #13
  14. okay found the part that says:

    <quote>
    Conditional comments don't work. I'm still playing around with various
    *.dll's to figure out which one handles those so that I can add support for
    them.
    </quote>

    Thanks anyway.
    e n | c k m a, Jul 17, 2004
    #14
  15. Marcus

    SpaceGirl Guest

    e n | c k m a wrote:

    >>Did you actually READ the page I sent you to? IE 5.5 uses a common
    >>dialogue, so it says 6.0. It's NOT though... the rendering engine is
    >>5.5. Read the page I sent you to again, it explains all of this.

    >
    >
    > So should I just assume that my conditional comments work? [I'm not the OP,
    > btw.]
    > You didn't quite answer my question - is there a way to test my conditional
    > comments? I'll check the page again but I doubt it'll answer my question.
    >
    > Thanks for your time though,
    > Nick
    >
    >


    That's because I've never played with conditional comments so I dont
    know ;) Sorry hon!


    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
    SpaceGirl, Jul 17, 2004
    #15
  16. Marcus

    Els Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Whoops.. tried it again, and you're right.
    >> They all say 6.0 etc, I got it mixed up with the logo
    >> above it, that gives the real number. Except for 5.5, that
    >> only says Internet Explorer.
    >> Sorry!

    >
    > S'okay :) Morning btw!


    Morning :)

    > Nice day for sitting in front of the
    > computer... at home!


    Why? Is it raining where you are? It's all sunny here, predicted
    rain and bad weather for the late afternoon and tomorrow though.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Cristina Aguilera - Fighter
    Els, Jul 17, 2004
    #16
  17. Marcus

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Els wrote:

    > Why? Is it raining where you are?


    You need to ask? <g>

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Now playing: Yes - Dreamtime
    Dylan Parry, Jul 17, 2004
    #17
  18. Marcus

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Els wrote:

    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Els wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>Whoops.. tried it again, and you're right.
    >>>They all say 6.0 etc, I got it mixed up with the logo
    >>>above it, that gives the real number. Except for 5.5, that
    >>>only says Internet Explorer.
    >>>Sorry!

    >>
    >>S'okay :) Morning btw!

    >
    >
    > Morning :)
    >
    >
    >>Nice day for sitting in front of the
    >>computer... at home!

    >
    >
    > Why? Is it raining where you are? It's all sunny here, predicted
    > rain and bad weather for the late afternoon and tomorrow though.
    >


    Well Sirin is at work until 7pm, and its really gray and dull here. So I
    have Big Brother turned up on the TV in living room, and a day of
    working on a band site ahead of me... but I have no shoes and socks on
    *wiggles her toes* and I'm in my scruffy jeans and T, and I have the
    hugest mug of nice coffee rather than the rubbish at my day job. I've
    booked tickets to see Spiderman tonight. So, I'm quite happy. It'd be
    pissed of being stuck in here if it were sunny.

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
    SpaceGirl, Jul 17, 2004
    #18
  19. Marcus

    Els Guest

    e n | c k m a wrote:

    > okay found the part that says:
    >
    > <quote>
    > Conditional comments don't work. I'm still playing around
    > with various *.dll's to figure out which one handles those
    > so that I can add support for them.
    > </quote>


    Why do you use conditional comments? They are very unreliable,
    as I found out this week. I used Opera, spoofing as IE on the
    microsoft.com site. No background in the top of the page!
    Changed it to be an honest Opera version, and hey, nice blue
    gradient background!

    Instead you'd be better off using hacks like these to make each
    browser get its way:
    http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
    It then is based on what a browser can or can not do. Reliable
    enough for me.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Cristina Aguilera - Fighter
    Els, Jul 17, 2004
    #19
  20. Marcus

    Els Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Why? Is it raining where you are?

    >
    > You need to ask? <g>


    There too? Boy, it's spreading!

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Duran Duran - Tel Aviv
    Els, Jul 17, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brian van den Broek
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    825
    Jeremy Bowers
    Apr 3, 2005
  2. Brian van den Broek
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    380
    Brian van den Broek
    Apr 5, 2005
  3. Chris

    Testing and Load Testing

    Chris, Mar 4, 2007, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    316
  4. John Maclean
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    331
    Martin P. Hellwig
    Apr 13, 2010
  5. Avi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    481
Loading...

Share This Page