testing on IE 5

Marcus

Does anyone know if it is possible to install IE 5 on Windows XP for
testing purposes? I want to make sure my CSS displays correctly on both
versions 5 and 6... I downloaded and installed ie5setup.exe and it went
through it's whole process, but in the end restarted and did nothing
(I'm assuming because it recognized that a newer version is already
installed).

If this is not possible, how do you all make sure your CSS displays
correctly across browsers? Thanks in advance.

Marcus

SpaceGirl

Marcus said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to install IE 5 on Windows XP for
testing purposes? I want to make sure my CSS displays correctly on both
versions 5 and 6... I downloaded and installed ie5setup.exe and it went
through it's whole process, but in the end restarted and did nothing
(I'm assuming because it recognized that a newer version is already
installed).

If this is not possible, how do you all make sure your CSS displays
correctly across browsers? Thanks in advance.

Marcus

You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

Here's an url where you can download other versions:

http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/

Just unzip these versions and run them (you dont need to install them).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

e n | c k m a

You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

Is there a way to get it so that you can experiment with using conditional
comments, though? I can't test my conditional comments [used for IE5.5
browsers] because my "fake" IE5.5 says that it's IE6 if you go to the About
section.

Any way around this?

Thanks,
Nick.

Neal

You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

Is there a way to get it so that you can experiment with using
conditional
comments, though? I can't test my conditional comments [used for IE5.5
browsers] because my "fake" IE5.5 says that it's IE6 if you go to the
About
section.

Huh?

e n | c k m a

Huh?

Sorry, i'll rephrase. My "fake" IE5.5 still thinks it's using the IE6
engine... for example, if you go to the Help, About section it says it's
IE6.0.whatever.etc...

And if I try to use IE5.5 specific Conditional Comments, it won't work. It
does work, however, when my Conditional Comments are aimed specifically at
IE6.

Any way around that problem for testing my conditional comments so I know
they only work for IE5.5?

Els

e said:
Sorry, i'll rephrase. My "fake" IE5.5 still thinks it's
using the IE6 engine... for example, if you go to the Help,
About section it says it's IE6.0.whatever.etc...

And if I try to use IE5.5 specific Conditional Comments, it
won't work. It does work, however, when my Conditional
Comments are aimed specifically at IE6.

Any way around that problem for testing my conditional
comments so I know they only work for IE5.5?

Sounds to me like your fake 5.5 is not at all 5.5.
I have 3, 4, 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0 installed on XP, and they all
give their real version number in the help - about section.

SpaceGirl

e said:
You can install ALL versions of Internet Explorer.

Is there a way to get it so that you can experiment with using conditional
comments, though? I can't test my conditional comments [used for IE5.5
browsers] because my "fake" IE5.5 says that it's IE6 if you go to the About
section.

Any way around this?

Thanks,
Nick.

Did you actually READ the page I sent you to? IE 5.5 uses a common
dialogue, so it says 6.0. It's NOT though... the rendering engine is
5.5. Read the page I sent you to again, it explains all of this.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Els said:
e n | c k m a wrote:

Sounds to me like your fake 5.5 is not at all 5.5.
I have 3, 4, 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0 installed on XP, and they all
give their real version number in the help - about section.

My copy of IE 5.5 says 6 in ther version, however it isn't. Odd that
yours does. Where'd you get your versions from Els?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Els

SpaceGirl said:
My copy of IE 5.5 says 6 in ther version, however it isn't.
Odd that yours does. Where'd you get your versions from
Els?

Whoops.. tried it again, and you're right.
They all say 6.0 etc, I got it mixed up with the logo above
it, that gives the real number. Except for 5.5, that only says
Internet Explorer.
Sorry!

e n | c k m a

Did you actually READ the page I sent you to? IE 5.5 uses a common
dialogue, so it says 6.0. It's NOT though... the rendering engine is
5.5. Read the page I sent you to again, it explains all of this.

So should I just assume that my conditional comments work? [I'm not the OP,
btw.]
You didn't quite answer my question - is there a way to test my conditional
comments? I'll check the page again but I doubt it'll answer my question.

Thanks for your time though,
Nick

SpaceGirl

Els wrote:

Whoops.. tried it again, and you're right.
They all say 6.0 etc, I got it mixed up with the logo above
it, that gives the real number. Except for 5.5, that only says
Internet Explorer.
Sorry!

S'okay :) Morning btw! Nice day for sitting in front of the computer...
at home!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

e n | c k m a

okay found the part that says:

<quote>
Conditional comments don't work. I'm still playing around with various
*.dll's to figure out which one handles those so that I can add support for
them.
</quote>

Thanks anyway.

SpaceGirl

e said:
Did you actually READ the page I sent you to? IE 5.5 uses a common
dialogue, so it says 6.0. It's NOT though... the rendering engine is
5.5. Read the page I sent you to again, it explains all of this.

So should I just assume that my conditional comments work? [I'm not the OP,
btw.]
You didn't quite answer my question - is there a way to test my conditional
comments? I'll check the page again but I doubt it'll answer my question.

Thanks for your time though,
Nick

That's because I've never played with conditional comments so I dont
know ;) Sorry hon!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Els

SpaceGirl said:
Els wrote:

S'okay :) Morning btw!

Morning :)
Nice day for sitting in front of the
computer... at home!

Why? Is it raining where you are? It's all sunny here, predicted
rain and bad weather for the late afternoon and tomorrow though.

SpaceGirl

Els said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

Morning :)

Why? Is it raining where you are? It's all sunny here, predicted
rain and bad weather for the late afternoon and tomorrow though.

Well Sirin is at work until 7pm, and its really gray and dull here. So I
have Big Brother turned up on the TV in living room, and a day of
working on a band site ahead of me... but I have no shoes and socks on
*wiggles her toes* and I'm in my scruffy jeans and T, and I have the
hugest mug of nice coffee rather than the rubbish at my day job. I've
booked tickets to see Spiderman tonight. So, I'm quite happy. It'd be
pissed of being stuck in here if it were sunny.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Els

e said:
okay found the part that says:

<quote>
Conditional comments don't work. I'm still playing around
with various *.dll's to figure out which one handles those
so that I can add support for them.
</quote>

Why do you use conditional comments? They are very unreliable,
as I found out this week. I used Opera, spoofing as IE on the
microsoft.com site. No background in the top of the page!
Changed it to be an honest Opera version, and hey, nice blue
gradient background!

Instead you'd be better off using hacks like these to make each
browser get its way:
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
It then is based on what a browser can or can not do. Reliable
enough for me.