    site with SSL encryption inside our LAN?

    Thanks,
    Allan

    A.M, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Allan,

    All you need to test SSL is to install a web server certificate to your test
    server. You can issue this certificate yourself (i.e.: get it for free) if
    you run your own certification authority (CA). Your network administrator
    should be able to help you with this. If you are not already running a CA
    within your network, you can install the Microsoft Certificate Services
    application on any Window NT4 or higher server (including your
    development/test web server). For an introduction to using Microsoft
    Certificate Services to issue IIS certificates, see
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...logies/iis/maintain/featusability/c06iis.mspx.

    HTH,
    Nicole

    Nicole Calinoiu, Apr 30, 2004

  3. A.M

    A.M Guest

    Thans Nicole for help.

    Can I just create a fake www.OurCompany.com in our internal DNS and then buy
    the SSL key from verisign for www.OurCompany.com and test the application
    in SSL mode inside our LAN?

    Allan

    Can I just

    A.M, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Allan,

    You could, but that's not the usual approach to testing applications over
    https. In general, neither the name of the server nor the within-server
    path to the application should matter. You should be able to run your
    application internally at https://anyserver/anyfolder/ for testing purposes.
    All that matters is that the web site on "anyserver" be configured for SSL
    with a server certificate. Why pay for this certificate when you can get it
    for free (and even less time investment than applying to a commercial CA)?
    If you don't have an internal CA already and there's nobody on your team who
    has set one up in the past, the initial time investment might be a bit
    higher (but still probably no more than a few hours). Later setups and uses
    would probably run under 5 minutes. Acquiring a certificate from a
    commercial CA can take days to weeks, and you really don't want to deal with
    the hassle that would result if your commercially issued certificate ends up
    being "mishandled" in the dev/test environment...

    HTH,
    Nicole

    Nicole Calinoiu, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Hi Allan,

    I'm viewing this thread and found that many other community members are
    discussing with you in another thread named
    "RE: Client Side Certificate" in this newsgroup.
    If you feel it convenient that we continue to focus on that one, please
    feel free to post there. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 3, 2004
  6. A.M

    A.M Guest

    Nicole,

    I want to apprecite you for refering me to that link!! I just implimented
    the certificate server and it worked fine!!
    It was so well explained and i am happy to know William R. Stanek the book's
    author.

    Thanks,
    Alan

    A.M, May 3, 2004