TeX subset into MathML conversion via MathJax

Discussion in 'XML' started by Ivan Shmakov, Jun 1, 2012.

  1. Ivan Shmakov

    Ivan Shmakov Guest

    [Cross-posting to news:comp.text.xml, for obvious reasons.]

    […]

    >>> However, for math in HTML you may also consider using mathjax,
    >>> which offers a very comprehensive solution both as online and
    >>> offline JavaScript converter of LaTeX math code embedded in HTML
    >>> pages. http://www.mathjax.org/

    >> I'll take a look at it, though I don't know whether it's going to be
    >> feasible to tie JavaScript code to the Perl-based core.

    > JavaScript is not required during the document generation, only when
    > viewing the generated HTML document. If you go for the online
    > option, you do not even need to install any JavaScript (instead, the
    > user viewing the document needs an internet connection (should be no
    > problem when browsing a wiki)

    I'd like to note that Ikiwiki-based sites may be relatively easy
    to mirror (so to facilitate offline reading), and may also allow
    for uploading of offline edits.

    > and browser settings allowing to download and run the converter
    > skript in order to see the pretty printed output - otherwise he/she
    > sees the LaTeX source (which is IMO a safe and sensible fallback).

    The reason why I don't like such an approach is twofold. First
    of all, I generally dislike the now-widespread notion of
    “webpage is code we send to your computer†— be it Java, Flash,
    ECMAScript, or whatever else. (Not to mention that, Lynx, my
    Web browser of choice, doesn't support JavaScript.)

    On the other side, I may wish to apply some post-processing to
    the formulae. And if those are in LaTeX at the server, — I'm
    back to the original problem.

    Though I'll probably check if MathJax could be of some use,
    anyway.

    [...]

    --
    FSF associate member #7257