TeXML, the XML vocabulary for TeX

Oleg Paraschenko

Hello colleagues,

I'd like to introduce you TeXML, the XML vocabulary for TeX:

http://getfo.org/texml/
http://getfo.sourceforge.net/texml/

A processor translates TeXML source into TeX.

| Example of TeXML to TeX translation
|
| TeXML:
|
| <cmd name="documentclass">
| <opt>12pt</opt>
| <parm>letter</parm>
| </cmd>
|
| TeX:
|
| \documentclass[12pt]{letter}

One of the main benefits of TeXML usage is automatic translation
of the TeX special symbols.

| Example of translation of special TeX symbols
|
| TeXML:
|
| <TeXML>\section{No break}</TeXML>
|
| TeX:
|
| $\backslash$section\{No~break\}

The TeXML processor supports different output encodings and
escapes out-of-encoding chars

| Example of translation of non-ASCII characters
|
| TeXML:
|
| <TeXML>ТеХ</TeXML>
|
| TeX in ASCII encoding:
|
| \cyrchar\CYRT \cyrchar\cyre \cyrchar\CYRH
|
| TeX in Russian encoding
|
| TeX

If you automatically generate TeX files, there are some benefits
to generating TeXML instead of TeX:

* you avoid painful handling of TeX special characters,
* you don't have to bother about encodings,
* you can write error-free code more easily.

To expand on the last point, if for example, you want to generate

| {\bf bold}

One of the approaches is to generate "{", then "\bf " (with
trailing space) and then "}". It is easy to miss the space or to
forget a brace or write an incorrect symbol. But when you use TeXML,
it takes care of it for you:

I hope you will find TeXML useful. Your comments are welcome.

Regards, Oleg