Text Alignment

Discussion in 'HTML' started by FluxForums, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. FluxForums

    FluxForums Guest

    FluxForums, Feb 22, 2004

  2. FluxForums

    rf Guest

    rf, Feb 22, 2004

  3. FluxForums

    SpaceGirl Guest

    http://www.fluxforums.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1
    > View this thread: http://www.fluxforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=187

    Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???

    SpaceGirl, Feb 22, 2004
  4. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > "FluxForums" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Having problems aligning text? Use tables!
    >>All popular design programs allow for creation of tables.
    >>For a great tutorial on tables check out http://tinyurl.com/ys3n5
    >>--
    >>FluxForums
    >>FluxForums's Profile:

    > http://www.fluxforums.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1
    >
    >>View this thread: http://www.fluxforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=187

    > Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    > layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???

    Lol, see my reply to your other post ;) and I wouldn't call anyone that
    suggests tables for layout an idiot.

    N.B.
    Other post referring to "Re: How do I remove the border around images?"

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  5. FluxForums

    Steve R. Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote in message ...
    > Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    > layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???

    No not idiots. They are realists.

    Tables are easy to create, they are stable when viewed on 99.99% of all
    monitors, unlike CSS, which unless you are an absolute expert, often causes
    problems with folks trying to use CSS. Just read some of the "CSS Problem"
    type threads on the HTML newsgroups to understand just how much of a
    problem to create *properly* they are.

    There's probably less than 1% of all web designers use CSS *correctly*.

    Steve R., Feb 22, 2004
  6. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    Steve R. wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote in message ...
    >
    >>Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    >>layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???

    > No not idiots. They are realists.
    >
    > Tables are easy to create, they are stable when viewed on 99.99% of all
    > monitors, unlike CSS, which unless you are an absolute expert, often causes
    > problems with folks trying to use CSS. Just read some of the "CSS Problem"
    > type threads on the HTML newsgroups to understand just how much of a
    > problem to create *properly* they are.
    >
    > There's probably less than 1% of all web designers use CSS *correctly*.

    At last, THANK YOU! I'm so sick of all this CSS YAY, tables NO YOU SILLY
    HOBBITSES crap.

    Someone once replied to one of my posts and said that google and apache
    don't know how to design websites because they use tables *shakes head*

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  7. FluxForums

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > Steve R. wrote:
    > > SpaceGirl wrote in message ...
    > >
    > >>Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    > >>layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???

    > > No not idiots. They are realists.
    > >
    > > Tables are easy to create, they are stable when viewed on 99.99% of all
    > > monitors, unlike CSS, which unless you are an absolute expert, often

    causes
    > > problems with folks trying to use CSS. Just read some of the "CSS

    Problem"
    > > type threads on the HTML newsgroups to understand just how much of a
    > > problem to create *properly* they are.
    > >
    > > There's probably less than 1% of all web designers use CSS *correctly*.
    > >

    > At last, THANK YOU! I'm so sick of all this CSS YAY, tables NO YOU SILLY
    > HOBBITSES crap.
    >
    > Someone once replied to one of my posts and said that google and apache
    > don't know how to design websites because they use tables *shakes head*
    >
    > ~Cameron

    hehhe

    what I meant was; it's easier and a LOT more efficient to do the two things
    mentioned in these posts via CSS. There's nothing wrong with doing some
    layout in tables (I do all the time), but for positioning blocks on the
    screen!? Tables take 3 times the amount of code and completely block any
    flexibility if you want to change your layout later on. The problem is, by
    encouraging people to be lazy and "just do everything in tables", these are
    the people who are going to be left floundering when they need to produce
    something that is accessible, or are told by a client they want to change
    the layout etc etc. This is all really easy in CSS. As for CSS problems;
    there are very few. The layout BASICS work across all browsers - there are a
    few niggles with the more quirky CSS mark-up, but a beginner is not likely
    to come across these. Tables are far more likely to "not work".

    SpaceGirl, Feb 22, 2004
  8. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    <snip>

    >>At last, THANK YOU! I'm so sick of all this CSS YAY, tables NO YOU SILLY
    >>HOBBITSES crap.
    >>
    >>Someone once replied to one of my posts and said that google and apache
    >>don't know how to design websites because they use tables *shakes head*
    >>
    >>~Cameron

    > hehhe
    >
    > what I meant was; it's easier and a LOT more efficient to do the two things
    > mentioned in these posts via CSS. There's nothing wrong with doing some
    > layout in tables (I do all the time), but for positioning blocks on the
    > screen!? Tables take 3 times the amount of code and completely block any
    > flexibility if you want to change your layout later on. The problem is, by
    > encouraging people to be lazy and "just do everything in tables", these are
    > the people who are going to be left floundering when they need to produce
    > something that is accessible, or are told by a client they want to change
    > the layout etc etc. This is all really easy in CSS. As for CSS problems;
    > there are very few. The layout BASICS work across all browsers - there are a
    > few niggles with the more quirky CSS mark-up, but a beginner is not likely
    > to come across these. Tables are far more likely to "not work".

    Blocks on the screen www.phpnuke.org they use blocks quite successfully,
    yes I know that the HTML is hideous to read but hey, it's a CMS who
    needs to read the HTML ;)

    Flexability changing, I have myself a nice little template engine and
    base functions to make setting up a website or changing the design nice
    and easy, admitidly I haven't put it onto my current site yet but it was
    a rush job, took me about 30 mins I think (http://www.eporcupine.co.uk)

    I came accross a CSS problem a couple of hours ago actually, a
    particular sites content was going off the left edge of the screen, and
    no scroll bar!

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Quoth the raven named FluxForums:

    > Having problems aligning text? Use tables!
    > All popular design programs allow for creation of tables.
    > For a great tutorial on tables check out http://tinyurl.com/ys3n5

    Great page!!!!! Only 171 errors!!!!!

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fresma.net%2Ftutorials%2Fhtml%2Ftables.php>

    Keep up the good work.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left shocked.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 22, 2004
  10. FluxForums

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >>
    > >>At last, THANK YOU! I'm so sick of all this CSS YAY, tables NO YOU SILLY
    > >>HOBBITSES crap.
    > >>
    > >>Someone once replied to one of my posts and said that google and apache
    > >>don't know how to design websites because they use tables *shakes head*
    > >>
    > >>~Cameron

    > > hehhe
    > >
    > > what I meant was; it's easier and a LOT more efficient to do the two

    things
    > > mentioned in these posts via CSS. There's nothing wrong with doing some
    > > layout in tables (I do all the time), but for positioning blocks on the
    > > screen!? Tables take 3 times the amount of code and completely block any
    > > flexibility if you want to change your layout later on. The problem is,

    by
    > > encouraging people to be lazy and "just do everything in tables", these

    are
    > > the people who are going to be left floundering when they need to

    produce
    > > something that is accessible, or are told by a client they want to

    change
    > > the layout etc etc. This is all really easy in CSS. As for CSS problems;
    > > there are very few. The layout BASICS work across all browsers - there

    are a
    > > few niggles with the more quirky CSS mark-up, but a beginner is not

    likely
    > > to come across these. Tables are far more likely to "not work".
    > >

    > Blocks on the screen www.phpnuke.org they use blocks quite successfully,
    > yes I know that the HTML is hideous to read but hey, it's a CMS who
    > needs to read the HTML ;)
    >
    > Flexability changing, I have myself a nice little template engine and
    > base functions to make setting up a website or changing the design nice
    > and easy, admitidly I haven't put it onto my current site yet but it was
    > a rush job, took me about 30 mins I think (http://www.eporcupine.co.uk)

    CSS doesn't require ANY serverside scripting :)

    > I came accross a CSS problem a couple of hours ago actually, a
    > particular sites content was going off the left edge of the screen, and
    > no scroll bar!

    Well there are plenty of examples :) The fact that Mozilla doesn't display
    some things right, does that mean that nobody should use anything except IE?
    But then IE doesn't do XHTML/XML perfectly. That leaves us with... Opera?
    Wait Opera screws up CSS too. Damn. Better stop using web browsers all
    together :)

    SpaceGirl, Feb 22, 2004
  11. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>SpaceGirl wrote:
    >><snip>

    >>>hehhe
    >>>
    >>>what I meant was; it's easier and a LOT more efficient to do the two

    > things
    >
    >>>mentioned in these posts via CSS. There's nothing wrong with doing some
    >>>layout in tables (I do all the time), but for positioning blocks on the
    >>>screen!? Tables take 3 times the amount of code and completely block any
    >>>flexibility if you want to change your layout later on. The problem is,

    > by
    >
    >>>encouraging people to be lazy and "just do everything in tables", these

    > are
    >
    >>>the people who are going to be left floundering when they need to

    > produce
    >
    >>>something that is accessible, or are told by a client they want to

    > change
    >
    >>>the layout etc etc. This is all really easy in CSS. As for CSS problems;
    >>>there are very few. The layout BASICS work across all browsers - there

    > are a
    >
    >>>few niggles with the more quirky CSS mark-up, but a beginner is not

    > likely
    >
    >>>to come across these. Tables are far more likely to "not work".
    >>>

    >>Blocks on the screen www.phpnuke.org they use blocks quite successfully,
    >> yes I know that the HTML is hideous to read but hey, it's a CMS who
    >>needs to read the HTML ;)
    >>
    >>Flexability changing, I have myself a nice little template engine and
    >>base functions to make setting up a website or changing the design nice
    >>and easy, admitidly I haven't put it onto my current site yet but it was
    >>a rush job, took me about 30 mins I think (http://www.eporcupine.co.uk)

    > CSS doesn't require ANY serverside scripting :)
    >

    >>I came accross a CSS problem a couple of hours ago actually, a
    >>particular sites content was going off the left edge of the screen, and
    >>no scroll bar!

    > Well there are plenty of examples :) The fact that Mozilla doesn't display
    > some things right, does that mean that nobody should use anything except IE?
    > But then IE doesn't do XHTML/XML perfectly. That leaves us with... Opera?
    > Wait Opera screws up CSS too. Damn. Better stop using web browsers all
    > together :)

    I know what server side scripting is and what CSS is, and also it's not
    just Moz Firebird that displayed the page incorrectly Konqueror did as well.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  12. FluxForums

    Karl Core Guest

    > Having problems aligning text? Use tables!
    > All popular design programs allow for creation of tables.
    > For a great tutorial on tables check out http://tinyurl.com/ys3n5
    > --
    > FluxForums

    someone shoot this moron.

    --

    Karl Core
    http://www.karlcore.com

    Karl Core, Feb 22, 2004
  13. FluxForums

    Karl Core Guest

    "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    > > "FluxForums" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Having problems aligning text? Use tables!
    > >>All popular design programs allow for creation of tables.
    > >>For a great tutorial on tables check out http://tinyurl.com/ys3n5
    > >>--
    > >>FluxForums
    > >>FluxForums's Profile:

    > > http://www.fluxforums.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1
    > >
    > >>View this thread: http://www.fluxforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=187

    > > Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    > > layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???
    > >

    > Lol, see my reply to your other post ;) and I wouldn't call anyone that
    > suggests tables for layout an idiot.

    i would

    --

    Karl Core
    http://www.karlcore.com

    Karl Core, Feb 22, 2004
  14. SpaceGirl wrote:
    > "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >>I came accross a CSS problem a couple of hours ago actually, a
    >>particular sites content was going off the left edge of the screen, and
    >>no scroll bar!

    > Well there are plenty of examples :) The fact that Mozilla doesn't display
    > some things right, does that mean that nobody should use anything except IE?
    > But then IE doesn't do XHTML/XML perfectly. That leaves us with... Opera?
    > Wait Opera screws up CSS too. Damn. Better stop using web browsers all
    > together :)

    I haven't seen the site in question, but I'd be willing to bet Mozilla
    was displaying it perfectly right.

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 22, 2004
  15. FluxForums

    Hywel Guest

    In article <NK0_b.5226$>, "Steve
    R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> says...
    > SpaceGirl wrote in message ...
    > > Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    > > layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???

    > No not idiots. They are realists.
    >
    > Tables are easy to create, they are stable when viewed on 99.99% of all
    > monitors

    What's the monitor got to do with it? (Clue: nothing)

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 22, 2004
  16. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    Hywel wrote:
    > In article <NK0_b.5226$>, "Steve
    > R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> says...
    >
    >>SpaceGirl wrote in message ...
    >>
    >>>Awful!!!!! Totally ignore their advice... You should NOT USE tables for
    >>>layout. Use stylesheets. Are these guys idiots???

    >>No not idiots. They are realists.
    >>
    >>Tables are easy to create, they are stable when viewed on 99.99% of all
    >>monitors

    > What's the monitor got to do with it? (Clue: nothing)

    Lol, I think we have found the picky comment of the month!

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  17. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I came accross a CSS problem a couple of hours ago actually, a
    >>> particular sites content was going off the left edge of the screen, and
    >>> no scroll bar!

    >> Well there are plenty of examples :) The fact that Mozilla doesn't
    >> display
    >> some things right, does that mean that nobody should use anything
    >> except IE?
    >> But then IE doesn't do XHTML/XML perfectly. That leaves us with... Opera?
    >> Wait Opera screws up CSS too. Damn. Better stop using web browsers all
    >> together :)

    > I haven't seen the site in question, but I'd be willing to bet Mozilla
    > was displaying it perfectly right.

    Mozilla Firebird 0.7, Mozilla 1.3.1, Konqueror 3.1.2 All display it with
    a little of the left hand side missing.

    http://www.talkers.ws

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  18. FluxForums

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > > SpaceGirl wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Cameron" <> wrote in message

    and

    > >> Well there are plenty of examples :) The fact that Mozilla doesn't
    > >> display
    > >> some things right, does that mean that nobody should use anything
    > >> except IE?
    > >> But then IE doesn't do XHTML/XML perfectly. That leaves us with...

    Opera?
    > >> Wait Opera screws up CSS too. Damn. Better stop using web browsers all
    > >> together :)

    > > I haven't seen the site in question, but I'd be willing to bet Mozilla
    > > was displaying it perfectly right.

    > Mozilla Firebird 0.7, Mozilla 1.3.1, Konqueror 3.1.2 All display it with
    > a little of the left hand side missing.
    >
    > http://www.talkers.ws
    >
    > ~Cameron

    The site in question is *not* valid HTML in any shape or form. It doesn't
    even pass the most basic validation at www.w3.org. Browsers display CSS and
    HTML *differently* depending on the DOCTYPE which is required in an HTML
    document. This site doesn't contain one. If you then choose to ignore this
    omission, there are 57 other critical errors, including purely broken HTML!
    (theres a </head> tag with no opening <head>). So the whole thing comes down
    to now what browsers can display what pages, but down to what browsers do
    when they load totally trashed pages. No wonder it looks crap in some
    browers!

    SpaceGirl, Feb 22, 2004
  19. FluxForums

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > Cameron wrote:

    and

    > >> I haven't seen the site in question, but I'd be willing to bet Mozilla
    > >> was displaying it perfectly right.

    > > http://www.talkers.ws

    > right: 10px;'>
    >
    > Somehow that "position: absolute; right: 10px" is pushing the left side

    off?

    More likely trashed HTML elsewhere on the page is causing some browsers to
    choke on the entire page render. It's packed full of bad HTML, incomplete
    markup and errors.

    SpaceGirl, Feb 22, 2004
  20. FluxForums

    Paul Furman Guest