Text Alignment

Cameron

SpaceGirl said:
The site in question is *not* valid HTML in any shape or form. It doesn't
even pass the most basic validation at www.w3.org. Browsers display CSS and
HTML *differently* depending on the DOCTYPE which is required in an HTML
document. This site doesn't contain one. If you then choose to ignore this
omission, there are 57 other critical errors, including purely broken HTML!
(theres a </head> tag with no opening <head>). So the whole thing comes down
to now what browsers can display what pages, but down to what browsers do
when they load totally trashed pages. No wonder it looks crap in some
browers!

The head element is both opened and closed, it's the html element that
is missing, and I KNOW about DTD's, anyway, I thought we were talking
about CSS, go validate the CSS for it then come back and tell us about
the errors in that, and even so this confirms what Steve R said about
CSS being a PITA compared to tables.

~Cameron

Cameron

SpaceGirl said:
off?

More likely trashed HTML elsewhere on the page is causing some browsers to
choke on the entire page render. It's packed full of bad HTML, incomplete
markup and errors.
Ah well, I didn't write it ;)....mind you saying that I just checked my
site and it had a few errors hanging around, nothing bad, just niggly,
anyways it's out of date, will have to redo it and spend more than 30
mins on it when I have time.

~Cameron

Steve R.

Hywel wrote in message ...
What's the monitor got to do with it? (Clue: nothing)

Well spotted Hy-Wy.

Of course everyone knew what I *really* meant to say ... browser.

Andrew Glasgow

The head element is both opened and closed, it's the html element that
is missing, and I KNOW about DTD's, anyway, I thought we were talking
about CSS, go validate the CSS for it then come back and tell us about
the errors in that, and even so this confirms what Steve R said about
CSS being a PITA compared to tables.

Yes, such a pain in the ass that it requires you to use
correctly-written HTML instead of whatever random tag-soup you feel like
slapping together.

Cameron

Andrew said:
Yes, such a pain in the ass that it requires you to use
correctly-written HTML instead of whatever random tag-soup you feel like
slapping together.

*Shrug* I write (X)HTML properly anyway, and there are all the, ok this
displays fine in x browser but does it work in another with css, granted
you should test in as many as possible anyway, but the chance of tables
working in all the browsers out there is far more than the chance of CSS
positioning working perfectly which is why a lot of places still use
tables, I do use CSS for some things like colour though.

~Cameron

Karl Core

Cameron said:
*Shrug* I write (X)HTML properly anyway, and there are all the, ok this
displays fine in x browser but does it work in another with css, granted
you should test in as many as possible anyway, but the chance of tables
working in all the browsers out there is far more than the chance of CSS
positioning working perfectly which is why a lot of places still use
tables, I do use CSS for some things like colour though.

Hopefully you realize the semantic inconsistencies of what you've just
written.
You say "the chance of tables working... is far more than the chance of CSS
positioning working perfectly"
Why didn't you say "the chance of tables working perfectly"?

My experience has been that clueless designers using tables are just as
likely to FUBAR the site as a clueless designer using CSS.
So what's the difference?

Incidentally, try looking at a complex, tables based site on IE 3 (say,
something nested 3 deep? most tables based sites are at least 3 deep) and
then look at a CSS site on IE 3.
At least the content is visible with the CSS site.

Hey, you did say "working in all the browsers"...

Cameron

Karl said:
Hopefully you realize the semantic inconsistencies of what you've just
written.
You say "the chance of tables working... is far more than the chance of CSS
positioning working perfectly"
Why didn't you say "the chance of tables working perfectly"?

My experience has been that clueless designers using tables are just as
likely to FUBAR the site as a clueless designer using CSS.
So what's the difference?

Incidentally, try looking at a complex, tables based site on IE 3 (say,
something nested 3 deep? most tables based sites are at least 3 deep) and
then look at a CSS site on IE 3.
At least the content is visible with the CSS site.

Hey, you did say "working in all the browsers"...

Nesting tables too deeply is bad design practice anyway, and I know very
well that tables don't work well in all browsers, Lynx for one ;)

~Cameron

Cameron

Cameron said:
Nesting tables too deeply is bad design practice anyway, and I know very
well that tables don't work well in all browsers, Lynx for one ;)

~Cameron

And y'know there is more chance of unix/linux users agreeing on which
distro is best than us agreeing on which method is best css/tables, my
feelings are when CSS is better implimented across the board then I shal
prolly go for it rather than tables, but for the moment I shal stick
with them, I think this thread has gone as far as it can go now.

~Cameron

SpaceGirl

And y'know there is more chance of unix/linux users agreeing on which
distro is best than us agreeing on which method is best css/tables, my
feelings are when CSS is better implimented across the board then I shal
prolly go for it rather than tables, but for the moment I shal stick
with them, I think this thread has gone as far as it can go now.

~Cameron

The thing is, CSS can be linked to a page. You can switch stylesheets very
easily. So, if browser X has problems with some styles, you can make sure
that browser X gets a slightly different CSS file. You can have as many CSS
documents as you like. Now to do this in pure HTML (tables) you would need
to have a different page for each browser that had rendering problems.
Imagine having to change the layout of 50 pages if a client decided they
wanted a block of text moving, or all the text a different colour. What
would be easier; modify one or two CSS files, or edit all 50 pages?