text closing up on saving

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?

    I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
    have used many times before. I am trying to create a set of index pages, to
    link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
    cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
    space between each adjacent pair of characters. Each character is a
    hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
    letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all of
    these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
    browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
    between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
    specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
    replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but the
    same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure that
    the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.

    TIA

    Peter
    Peter, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Peter

    NWhite Guest

    "Peter" <peter @thecopshop.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
    >
    > I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
    > have used many times before. I am trying to create a set of index pages,

    > link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
    > cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
    > space between each adjacent pair of characters. Each character is a
    > hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
    > letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all

    of
    > these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
    > browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
    > between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
    > specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
    > replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but

    the
    > same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure

    that
    > the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.
    >
    > TIA Peter

    In HTML code, spaces you leave between characters for display will
    "collapse" unless you put them inside <pre></pre> tags. Don't do this. In
    your HTML code "&nbsp" will produce one space for display, "&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp"
    will produce three. These will not collapse. Do not do this either.

    Using a table is arguably ok for a table of products. Put each letter in a
    table cell. Learn how to control the width of cells either through CSS,
    preferably, or through the HTML cellpadding/cellspacing attributes to the

    Hope this helps.
    NWhite.
    NWhite, Jun 22, 2004

  3. On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:38:12 +0100 Peter posted:

    > Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
    >
    > I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
    > have used many times before.

    Netscape 4.x is seriously outdated. Also the Composer. Download Mozilla
    (http://www.mozilla.org) and use it's Composer instead. Netscape 4.x will
    not produce HTML (only some kind of HTMLish Tagsoup, that may or may not
    work in some browsers). With Mozilla you at least have a chance to produce
    HTML conforming to standards.

    Kind regards
    David
    David Christopher Weichert, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Peter

    rf Guest

    > Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
    >
    > I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer,

    Oh, my.

    > which I
    > have used many times before.

    Find something better... Notepad?

    > I am trying to create a set of index pages, to
    > link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
    > cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
    > space between each adjacent pair of characters.

    Hmmm. Spaces (whitespace) collapse to one "space".

    > Each character is a
    > hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
    > letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all

    of
    > these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
    > browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
    > between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
    > specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
    > replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but

    the
    > same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure

    that
    > the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.

    It's time for a URL.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Peter

    SpaceGirl Guest

    > Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
    >
    > I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
    > have used many times before. I am trying to create a set of index pages,

    > link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
    > cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
    > space between each adjacent pair of characters. Each character is a
    > hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
    > letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all

    of
    > these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
    > browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
    > between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
    > specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
    > replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but

    the
    > same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure

    that
    > the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Peter

    Upgrade for god sake... :) a fraction of 1% of people use NS4x now, so you
    can hardly expect anyone to support it. Dont suppose you are using Windows
    95 too?
    SpaceGirl, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Windows?
    What is wrong with DOS?
    I have Netscape6 but prefer the composer module in 4 - just personal
    preference and familiarity!!

    Peter, Jun 22, 2004
  7. On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:04:32 +0100 Peter posted:

    > Windows?
    > What is wrong with DOS?
    > I have Netscape6 but prefer the composer module in 4 - just personal
    > preference and familiarity!!

    Give us a URL with your NS4 code and we'll tell you what's wrong with it.
    Seriously, NS4 will most likely produce Tagsoup - not HTML. If your
    audience is the Web, you should use a product that complies with standards.

    Kind regards
    David
    David Christopher Weichert, Jun 22, 2004
  8. Peter

    Mitja Guest

    (news:JLYBc.19099$9.net) wrote:
    > Windows?
    > What is wrong with DOS?

    It doesn't do the Welcome Sound when booting.
    Mitja, Jun 22, 2004
  9. Peter

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Mitja" <> wrote in message
    > Peter <peter @thecopshop.co.uk>
    > (news:JLYBc.19099$9.net) wrote:
    > > Windows?
    > > What is wrong with DOS?

    > It doesn't do the Welcome Sound when booting.

    I'd be lost in an OS that took under 5 minutes to start. When else would I
    get chance to make coffee and exchange gossip in the canteen?
    SpaceGirl, Jun 22, 2004
  10. Peter

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:05:56 +0200, Mitja <> wrote:

    > Peter <peter @thecopshop.co.uk>
    > (news:JLYBc.19099$9.net) wrote:
    >> Windows?
    >> What is wrong with DOS?

    > It doesn't do the Welcome Sound when booting.

    You're supposed to sing that part.

    "Doo.. deedle-ling! Ding ding, ding..."
    Neal, Jun 22, 2004