text editor

windandwaves

Hi Folk

As a web editor, I often get text delivered to me in, for example, a Word
document with the request to place it on a page.

The problem is that Word and its cousins use all sorts of funny characters
that should not be used on the page (e.g. MS specific characters).

I am about to make my own text converter that cleans up all this business,
but I was wondering if there are any tools out there that prepare text for
web.... something nice and simple.

How do you do it?

Thanks in advance

- Nicolaas

mbstevens

windandwaves said:
Hi Folk

As a web editor, I often get text delivered to me in, for example, a Word
document with the request to place it on a page.

The problem is that Word and its cousins use all sorts of funny characters
that should not be used on the page (e.g. MS specific characters).

I am about to make my own text converter that cleans up all this business,
but I was wondering if there are any tools out there that prepare text for
web.... something nice and simple.

The 'recode' command line tool is popular on 'nix
and an older version runs on Win:
http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1345.html

data64

Hi Folk

As a web editor, I often get text delivered to me in, for example, a Word
document with the request to place it on a page.

The problem is that Word and its cousins use all sorts of funny characters
that should not be used on the page (e.g. MS specific characters).

I am about to make my own text converter that cleans up all this business,
but I was wondering if there are any tools out there that prepare text for
web.... something nice and simple.

I would try Html Tidy first.
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

Specifically the word-2000 option
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#word-2000

Also, Dreamweaver has some features to do something similar.

data64