    Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
    editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
    over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

    Jacob Grover, Jul 14, 2008

    You can write Ruby code in any text editor. Is your friend not using one,
    i.e., is your friend only using irb?

    Something else your friend can use is "try ruby!" [
    http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ] to experiment with Ruby in his web browser.

    If in fact your friend can install/use an editor, maybe the two of you can
    use something like SubEthaEdit [ http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ ]
    on Mac OS X or a similar editor on another platform. Editors like
    SubEthaEdit allow you both to use the same editor at the same time. Couple
    that with an audio/video call, and you could have some great coding sessions
    together.

    Regards,
    Craig

    Craig Demyanovich, Jul 14, 2008

  3. On Monday 14 July 2008 09:08:24 Jacob Grover wrote:
    > Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
    > editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
    > over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

    You do realize that there's nothing magical about a "ruby" text editor, right?
    Your friend could as easily use Notepad -- or TextEdit on the Mac -- and any
    Linux/Unix will have several available out of the box.

    A text editor with specific knowledge of Ruby will give you syntax
    highlighting, which makes it a lot nicer. But it's not a requirement.

    David Masover, Jul 14, 2008
  4. Jacob Grover

    chasman Guest

    On Jul 14, 10:22 am, David Masover <> wrote:
    > On Monday 14 July 2008 09:08:24 Jacob Grover wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
    > > editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
    > > over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

    > You do realize that there's nothing magical about a "ruby" text editor, right?
    > Your friend could as easily use Notepad -- or TextEdit on the Mac -- and any
    > Linux/Unix will have several available out of the box.
    >
    > A text editor with specific knowledge of Ruby will give you syntax
    > highlighting, which makes it a lot nicer. But it's not a requirement.

    For a Web based text editor try Google Docs.
    For a Web based Ruby IDE with editor try http://heroku.com/

    Charles M of Lexington

    chasman, Jul 14, 2008
  5. On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:19 +0900, Craig Demyanovich wrote:
    > You can write Ruby code in any text editor. Is your friend not using one,
    > i.e., is your friend only using irb?
    >
    > Something else your friend can use is "try ruby!" [
    > http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ] to experiment with Ruby in his web browser.
    >
    > If in fact your friend can install/use an editor, maybe the two of you can
    > use something like SubEthaEdit [ http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ ]
    > on Mac OS X or a similar editor on another platform. Editors like
    > SubEthaEdit allow you both to use the same editor at the same time. Couple
    > that with an audio/video call, and you could have some great coding sessions
    > together.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Craig

    http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/

    gobby is a free, collabortive editor also...

    http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/wiki/Screenshots

    Reid Thompson, Jul 14, 2008
  6. On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:27 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
    > On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:19 +0900, Craig Demyanovich wrote:
    > > You can write Ruby code in any text editor. Is your friend not using one,
    > > i.e., is your friend only using irb?
    > >
    > > Something else your friend can use is "try ruby!" [
    > > http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ] to experiment with Ruby in his web browser.
    > >
    > > If in fact your friend can install/use an editor, maybe the two of you can
    > > use something like SubEthaEdit [ http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ ]
    > > on Mac OS X or a similar editor on another platform. Editors like
    > > SubEthaEdit allow you both to use the same editor at the same time. Couple
    > > that with an audio/video call, and you could have some great coding sessions
    > > together.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Craig

    > http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/
    >
    > gobby is a free, collabortive editor also...
    >
    > http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/wiki/Screenshots

    just noticed that one of the screenshots is of ruby code

    http://gobby.0x539.de/screenshots/gobby-0.4.0-dev-linux.png

    Reid Thompson, Jul 14, 2008
  7. Jacob Grover wrote:
    > Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
    > editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
    > over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

    When you install "Instant Ruby" you get SciTE, a good editor with syntax
    highlighling.

    If you are looking for good syntax highlighting in an IDE, then you can
    use Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). This IDE includes an Editor that
    handles not only Ruby but Java, C++ and others, and the IDE let's you
    create ruby projects, debug and run them directly from the IDE.

    Rgds,

    Nando

    Nando Sanchez, Jul 14, 2008
  8. I guess it would be helpful if we knew whether your friend has a Mac or
    a PC.

    I'm on a Mac, so my suggestions are:

    any text editor will work, but if you want syntax highlighting then use

    Text Wrangler (Bare bones software) -- free
    Textmate -- not free

    hth,
    vince

    Vince Angeloni, Jul 14, 2008
  9. On 15 jul 2008, at 00.09, Vince Angeloni wrote:

    > I guess it would be helpful if we knew whether your friend has a Mac
    > or
    > a PC.
    >
    > I'm on a Mac, so my suggestions are:
    >
    > any text editor will work, but if you want syntax highlighting then
    > use
    >
    > Text Wrangler (Bare bones software) -- free
    > Textmate -- not free
    >
    > hth,
    > vince

    Or Smultron, Emacs.app, AquaMacs EMacs, Alpha
    All are open source, and can be extended to support syntax
    highlighting of any
    programming language. At least smultron, and the two Emacs versions
    listed
    have a ruby mode.
    -------------------------------------
    This sig is dedicated to the advancement of Nuclear Power
    Tommy Nordgren

    Tommy Nordgren, Jul 14, 2008
  10. Jacob Grover

    Jacob Grover Guest

    chasman wrote:
    > On Jul 14, 10:22�am, David Masover <> wrote:
    >> A text editor with specific knowledge of Ruby will give you syntax
    >> highlighting, which makes it a lot nicer. But it's not a requirement.

    > For a Web based text editor try Google Docs.
    > For a Web based Ruby IDE with editor try http://heroku.com/
    >
    > Charles M of Lexington\

    Thanks!

    Jacob Grover, Jul 15, 2008
  11. Jacob Grover

    Jacob Grover Guest

    Craig Demyanovich wrote:
    > You can write Ruby code in any text editor. Is your friend not using
    > one,
    > i.e., is your friend only using irb?
    >
    > Something else your friend can use is "try ruby!" [
    > http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ] to experiment with Ruby in his web browser.
    >
    > If in fact your friend can install/use an editor, maybe the two of you
    > can
    > use something like SubEthaEdit [
    > http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ ]
    > on Mac OS X or a similar editor on another platform. Editors like
    > SubEthaEdit allow you both to use the same editor at the same time.
    > Couple
    > that with an audio/video call, and you could have some great coding
    > sessions
    > together.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Craig

    I've heard of Subethaedit, it's great when I was taught Ruby (A few
    months ago) by my brother we used it, and when the trial expires I just
    take out the preferences file.

    Jacob Grover, Jul 15, 2008
  12. Jacob Grover

    Jacob Grover Guest

    Tommy Nordgren wrote:
    > On 15 jul 2008, at 00.09, Vince Angeloni wrote:
    >
    >> Textmate -- not free
    >>
    >> hth,
    >> vince
    >> --
    >>

    > Or Smultron, Emacs.app, AquaMacs EMacs, Alpha
    > All are open source, and can be extended to support syntax
    > highlighting of any
    > programming language. At least smultron, and the two Emacs versions
    > listed
    > have a ruby mode.

    I've got that, but thanks for the suggestion.

    Jacob Grover, Jul 15, 2008
  13. Jacob Grover

    Jacob Grover Guest

    David Masover wrote:
    > On Monday 14 July 2008 09:08:24 Jacob Grover wrote:
    >> Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
    >> editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
    >> over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

    > You do realize that there's nothing magical about a "ruby" text editor,
    > right?
    > Your friend could as easily use Notepad -- or TextEdit on the Mac -- and
    > any
    > Linux/Unix will have several available out of the box.
    >
    > A text editor with specific knowledge of Ruby will give you syntax
    > highlighting, which makes it a lot nicer. But it's not a requirement.

    Oh, thanks. I never knew you could using a normal everyday editor to
    code.

    Jacob Grover, Jul 15, 2008
  14. Jacob Grover

    Dave Bass Guest

    Jacob Grover wrote:
    > I never knew you could using a normal everyday editor to
    > code.

    :)

    I generally use Win32Pad (an improved Notepad replacement) on Windows,
    and whatever text editor comes as standard with the Linux I'm using at
    the time; even vi if all I have is a command line. I work in three
    languages at the same time on a project I'm currently doing (PHP, Perl
    and Ruby, not to mention HTML/CSS/JavaScript) so it helps to use the
    same text editor for all. Personally I've never seen much point in
    syntax highlighting.

    If you keep your data in text files rather than a database or whatever,
    you can use the same editor for them as well!

    Dave

    Dave Bass, Jul 16, 2008