    is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?

    Tim W
    Tim W, Jul 6, 2012

  2. Tim W

    Neil Gould Guest

    Tim W wrote:
    > Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the
    > text is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to
    > the program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under
    > winxp?

    I've been using TextPad for the past few years. I use it for several other
    programming languages beyond HTML and CSS (Java / JScript/ PHP, ASP, VB,
    etc.), and I am quite satisfied with its features and flexibility. Well
    worth the price.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Jul 6, 2012

  3. Tim W wrote:
    > Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    > is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    > program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?

    I would assume it may be your document formatting option. Windows' \r\n
    to Linux's \n becomes double-spaced since most servers are running 'nix.
    "Tools > Preferences > New Document/ Default Directory" change your New
    Document setting to Unix and UTF-8 might fix it.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 6, 2012
  4. Tim W

    Brian Cryer Guest

    > Tim W wrote:
    >> Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    >> is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    >> program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?

    > I would assume it may be your document formatting option. Windows' \r\n to
    > Linux's \n becomes double-spaced since most servers are running 'nix.
    > "Tools > Preferences > New Document/ Default Directory" change your New
    > Document setting to Unix and UTF-8 might fix it.

    Don't think that's an ASCII/UTF-8 thing, but a difference between Windows
    and Unix. To "fit" it just ensure that when those files are copied up via
    FTP that it is done in TEXT rather than BINARY mode and that will fix it.

    In the OP's case, if the extra blank lines are appearing only after the file
    is copied to the server then yes I think you've put your finger on the
    problem. If the blank lines are appearing localy then presumably its a but
    in Notepad++.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Jul 6, 2012
  5. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 06/07/2012 16:53, Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >> Tim W wrote:
    >>> Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    >>> is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    >>> program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?

    >> I would assume it may be your document formatting option. Windows'
    >> \r\n to Linux's \n becomes double-spaced since most servers are
    >> running 'nix. "Tools > Preferences > New Document/ Default Directory"
    >> change your New Document setting to Unix and UTF-8 might fix it.

    > Don't think that's an ASCII/UTF-8 thing, but a difference between
    > Windows and Unix. To "fit" it just ensure that when those files are
    > copied up via FTP that it is done in TEXT rather than BINARY mode and
    > that will fix it.
    >
    > In the OP's case, if the extra blank lines are appearing only after the
    > file is copied to the server then yes I think you've put your finger on
    > the problem. If the blank lines are appearing localy then presumably its
    > a but in Notepad++.

    Now I have uploaded my .php and .css files and look at them on the
    server they are all on one line a mile long.

    FileZilla is set to Transfer Type - Auto but has maybe done something
    strange. I will try overwriting them with it set to Text.

    Tim w
    Tim W, Jul 6, 2012
  6. Tim W

    Lewis Guest

    In message <jt6lei$9pe$>
    Tim W <> wrote:
    > Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    > is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    > program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?

    I've used Notepad++ off an on for years and have never seen this. I
    suspect you are messing up the line endings.

    --
    Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all
    the time might start to think.
    Lewis, Jul 7, 2012
  7. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jt6lei$9pe$>,
    Tim W <> wrote:

    > Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    > is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    > program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?

    If there are preferences or options, say how they are set.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 7, 2012
  8. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 07/07/2012 09:33, Lewis wrote:
    > In message <jt6lei$9pe$>
    > Tim W <> wrote:
    >> Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    >> is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    >> program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?

    > I've used Notepad++ off an on for years and have never seen this. I
    > suspect you are messing up the line endings.

    Wot's a 'line ending'?

    Does it have some special meaning? my normal understanding of "end of a
    line" is not really something which could be easily messed up.

    But I downloaded an alternative 'gedit' which is doing the same thing so
    you are right that it isn't notepad++'s fault.

    I haven't been paying enough attention to be sure exactly when the
    changes occur but I have files with loads of extra linebreaks in so they
    are really tall and now files with no line breaks at all so they are all
    on one really long line.

    This could get to be a real drag.

    Tim w
    Tim W, Jul 7, 2012

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline#Representations>

    > Does it have some special meaning? my normal understanding of "end of a
    > line" is not really something which could be easily messed up.
    >
    > But I downloaded an alternative 'gedit' which is doing the same thing so
    > you are right that it isn't notepad++'s fault.
    >
    > I haven't been paying enough attention to be sure exactly when the
    > changes occur but I have files with loads of extra linebreaks in so they
    > are really tall and now files with no line breaks at all so they are all
    > on one really long line.

    You have not made it clear, but I am assuming that the double line
    spacing you are experiencing is when you are viewing the SOURCE code and
    not the final display of the webpage in the browser.

    If you view a Linux text file in Windows Notepad it will look a on one
    line, because Windows NEEDS two characters to signify a NEWLINE (CR+LF)
    whereas Linux only uses one (LF).

    Conversely a Windows text file with is two-character newline will appear
    as double spaced on Linux

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 7, 2012
  10. "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:
    <snip>
    > If you view a Linux text file in Windows Notepad it will look a on one
    > line, because Windows NEEDS two characters to signify a NEWLINE
    > (CR+LF) whereas Linux only uses one (LF).
    >
    > Conversely a Windows text file with is two-character newline will
    > appear as double spaced on Linux

    Not usually. Most editing software will either show you the CR as a
    special character or it will decide you have Windows line endings. Most
    display programs are similar (e.g. 'more' and 'less') and if you just
    throw the file at a tty, the CR won't usually display as another line
    separator.

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Jul 7, 2012
  11. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:
    > <snip>
    > > If you view a Linux text file in Windows Notepad it will look a on one
    > > line, because Windows NEEDS two characters to signify a NEWLINE
    > > (CR+LF) whereas Linux only uses one (LF).
    > >
    > > Conversely a Windows text file with is two-character newline will
    > > appear as double spaced on Linux

    > Not usually. Most editing software will either show you the CR as a
    > special character or it will decide you have Windows line endings. Most
    > display programs are similar (e.g. 'more' and 'less') and if you just
    > throw the file at a tty, the CR won't usually display as another line
    > separator.

    Someone tell the OP to say what preferences/options his text editor
    software has to control this. And maybe he can be advised specifically
    what to do.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 7, 2012
  12. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 07/07/2012 22:38, dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:
    >> <snip>
    >>> If you view a Linux text file in Windows Notepad it will look a on one
    >>> line, because Windows NEEDS two characters to signify a NEWLINE
    >>> (CR+LF) whereas Linux only uses one (LF).
    >>>
    >>> Conversely a Windows text file with is two-character newline will
    >>> appear as double spaced on Linux

    >> Not usually. Most editing software will either show you the CR as a
    >> special character or it will decide you have Windows line endings. Most
    >> display programs are similar (e.g. 'more' and 'less') and if you just
    >> throw the file at a tty, the CR won't usually display as another line
    >> separator.

    > Someone tell the OP to say what preferences/options his text editor
    > software has to control this. And maybe he can be advised specifically
    > what to do.

    It's alright you have done. I will look.

    Tim W
    Tim W, Jul 7, 2012
  13. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jtadro$u5t$>,
    Tim W <> wrote:

    > On 07/07/2012 22:38, dorayme wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:
    > >> <snip>

    > >> Not usually. Most editing software will either show you the CR as a
    > >> special character or it will decide you have Windows line endings. Most
    > >> display programs are similar (e.g. 'more' and 'less') and if you just
    > >> throw the file at a tty, the CR won't usually display as another line
    > >> separator.

    > > Someone tell the OP to say what preferences/options his text editor
    > > software has to control this. And maybe he can be advised specifically
    > > what to do.
    > >

    > It's alright you have done. I will look.

    In case you are not sure what to look for, my editor, for example has
    the following relevant headings and options:

    Editor defaults: (for appearance on your computer), includes Soft Wrap
    Text (dynamic depending on your editor width) - I have this as set -
    or wrap to specific width...

    Text Files: Saving: all sorts of things including Default Line Break
    of Mac or Unix or Dos/Window, Default Text Encoding of all sorts
    including Unicode (UTF-, BOM or not...), Force New Line at End to tick
    or not...

    Saving your HTML and CSS files is quite important, so is setting up
    your FTP and server configs for online displays.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 8, 2012
  14. Tim W

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Tim W" <> wrote in message
    > On 06/07/2012 16:53, Brian Cryer wrote:
    >> "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I would assume it may be your document formatting option. Windows'
    >>> \r\n to Linux's \n becomes double-spaced since most servers are
    >>> running 'nix. "Tools > Preferences > New Document/ Default Directory"
    >>> change your New Document setting to Unix and UTF-8 might fix it.

    >> Don't think that's an ASCII/UTF-8 thing, but a difference between
    >> Windows and Unix. To "fit" it just ensure that when those files are
    >> copied up via FTP that it is done in TEXT rather than BINARY mode and
    >> that will fix it.
    >>
    >> In the OP's case, if the extra blank lines are appearing only after the
    >> file is copied to the server then yes I think you've put your finger on
    >> the problem. If the blank lines are appearing localy then presumably its
    >> a but in Notepad++.

    > Now I have uploaded my .php and .css files and look at them on the server
    > they are all on one line a mile long.

    This might not be wrong, but might be the other wide of the issue Jonathan
    raised. If you save the html file and then open it in wordpad instead of
    notepad then does the formatting look right? Wordpad will render a \n as a
    newline, whereas notepad seems to ignore \n and only looks for a \r which
    means that you end up seeing a single long line.

    > FileZilla is set to Transfer Type - Auto but has maybe done something
    > strange. I will try overwriting them with it set to Text.

    I would expect FileZilla to be getting it right. Auto is probably what you
    want (provided your html files are named with a .htm or .html file extension
    and not something different).
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Jul 9, 2012
  15. Tim W

    William Gill Guest

    On 7/6/2012 8:24 AM, Tim W wrote:
    > Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    > is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    > program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?
    >
    > Tim W

    I'm a little late to the party, but I seem to be missing something in
    your post.

    You say "Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines." When and
    where are you seeing the extra lines? I use several text editors
    including Notepad++, and there are basically two (somewhat related)
    causes for extra lines, but clarifying what is happening needs to happen
    before you can understand and correct it.

    I assume you are editing the source document in NP++, and then opening
    it elsewhere (destination document) to reveal the extra blank lines. So
    the first question is what's the difference in document environments?

    eg:
    source
    - NP++ (w/o extra lines)
    - on your desktop
    - using Windows XP
    - saved in Windows format.

    destination
    - vi editor
    - on a remote computer
    - using a *nix operating system.

    or

    destination
    - web page (html document)
    - on a *nix operating system
    - ???
    (I think HTML would "self correct", because it wraps when needed or when
    told to via tags like </p> or <br>)

    Analyze the source and destination environment to determine their
    differences. Then apply the tips you have been given, like the
    different line endings (NP++ -> edit -> EOL conversion -> ??? format).

    Most text editors read the file and display them correctly regardless
    which line endings are used, they just decide if it's Windows/DOS, UNIX,
    or Mac format (based on EOL). This may confuse the user, because the
    editor is quietly making adjustments without the user noticing.

    You should also consider the document encoding involved (UTF-8, etc.).
    I have had similar experiences (extra lines) when opening in other
    programs, or when cutting and pasting between documents using different
    encoding.
    William Gill, Jul 10, 2012
  16. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 10/07/2012 19:02, William Gill wrote:
    > On 7/6/2012 8:24 AM, Tim W wrote:
    >> Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines to my files so the text
    >> is double and triple spaced. I am not particularly attached to the
    >> program, so what other text editor is good for html and css under winxp?
    >>
    >> Tim W

    > I'm a little late to the party, but I seem to be missing something in
    > your post.
    >
    > You say "Notepad++ inexplicably keeps adding blank lines." When and
    > where are you seeing the extra lines? I use several text editors
    > including Notepad++, and there are basically two (somewhat related)
    > causes for extra lines, but clarifying what is happening needs to happen
    > before you can understand and correct it.
    >
    > I assume you are editing the source document in NP++, and then opening
    > it elsewhere (destination document) to reveal the extra blank lines. So
    > the first question is what's the difference in document environments?
    >
    > eg:
    > source
    > - NP++ (w/o extra lines)
    > - on your desktop
    > - using Windows XP
    > - saved in Windows format.
    >
    > destination
    > - vi editor
    > - on a remote computer
    > - using a *nix operating system.
    >
    > or
    >
    > destination
    > - web page (html document)
    > - on a *nix operating system
    > - ???
    > (I think HTML would "self correct", because it wraps when needed or when
    > told to via tags like </p> or <br>)
    >
    > Analyze the source and destination environment to determine their
    > differences. Then apply the tips you have been given, like the
    > different line endings (NP++ -> edit -> EOL conversion -> ??? format).
    >
    > Most text editors read the file and display them correctly regardless
    > which line endings are used, they just decide if it's Windows/DOS, UNIX,
    > or Mac format (based on EOL). This may confuse the user, because the
    > editor is quietly making adjustments without the user noticing.
    >
    > You should also consider the document encoding involved (UTF-8, etc.). I
    > have had similar experiences (extra lines) when opening in other
    > programs, or when cutting and pasting between documents using different
    > encoding.

    I really appreciate the interest from you and others. I haven't been
    been paying enough attention to say with any certainty where the problem
    is occurring. I am editing text files with notepad++. uploading them to
    a linux server. I am using a CMS which has its own text editor so I may
    have made and saved small changes through the CMS 'Edit Theme' tab. I
    might then ftp it back to my windows desktop to make more serious edits
    where it could be opened by default in Windows Notepad and now in Gedit
    which I downloaded as a possible replacement. Confusing.

    Now here's a thing. I have retrieved a CSS file from the server. It has
    no line breaks in it, one long line. I go through it in notepad++
    hitting the return key (385 times) where I want a line break and by
    going VIEW - SHOW SYMBOLS - SHOW ALL I can see CR[in a box] (Carriage
    Return?) at the end of each line. I save it and open it in Windows
    Notepad and it has no line breaks, the CR symbols have become unknown
    ascii characters like rectangles and it's all on one line again. I would
    paste some of it here but when I paste the text the rectangles become
    line breaks again (in a thunderbird email) so you would see nothing odd.

    At this point I notice that a previous version of my file with SHOW
    SYMBOLS on has the symbols at the line end denoted by CR LF[in a box]
    not just CR and this one displays perfectly well in Notepad. I then find
    one of the files which has been given double spacing and look at the
    symbols at the line ends: It looks like every instance of [CR] has had
    [CR][LF] added to it so that each line ends in [CR][CR][LF] hence the
    double spacing, but only in Notepad++ and not in Windows Notepad.

    Anyway, my css file - I upload it back up to the server, open it in the
    CMS editor and all 385 line breaks have disappeared. I download it back
    to the desktop, open it and look for the Symbols and they are all gone.
    Holey Moley! Lucky I changed the file name.

    A little more investigation and your hint above and I find a command in
    Notepad++ called EOL Conversion which changes the end of line symbols
    from [CR] to [LF] to [CR][LF] and names them MAC, UNIX and Windows
    format, which is wierd because I am getting Mac line endings and I have
    never been near a MAC

    Confused? So am I. I am finding it difficult to see any sense or meaning
    in this episode and hard to draw any useful lesson from it. A bit like
    the rest of life really and like the rest of life I will just have to
    deal with the apparently random difficulties that are put in my way with
    whatever whatever method comes to hand and hope I am not storing up
    difficulty for the future.

    I may not be around much for a few days so apologies to anyone expecting
    a reply. The help I have had here ahs been really valuable and I am much
    obliged to you all.

    Tim w
    Tim W, Jul 10, 2012
  17. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jti9ft$j0l$>,
    Tim W <> wrote:

    > Now here's a thing. I have retrieved a CSS file from the server. It has
    > no line breaks in it, one long line. I go through it in notepad++
    > hitting the return key (385 times)

    er... Many good editors, or at least some good editors allow you to do
    this in one go. Mine, for example can "hard wrap" at any number of
    characters one chooses for any selected text.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 10, 2012
  18. Tim W

    William Gill Guest

    On 7/10/2012 6:45 PM, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <jti9ft$j0l$>,
    > Tim W <> wrote:
    >
    >> Now here's a thing. I have retrieved a CSS file from the server. It has
    >> no line breaks in it, one long line. I go through it in notepad++
    >> hitting the return key (385 times)

    > er... Many good editors, or at least some good editors allow you to do
    > this in one go. Mine, for example can "hard wrap" at any number of
    > characters one chooses for any selected text.

    I'm guessing the source CSS file had cr and lf characters removed to
    "compress" the file, since a semicolon is the only line end required by
    CSS. NP++ has an extended find/replace capability to reformat it for
    human consumption (and humanoid consumption too, dorayme).
    William Gill, Jul 11, 2012
  19. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jtj0dv$34m$>,
    William Gill <> wrote:

    > (and humanoid consumption too, dorayme).

    It is extremely rare for anyone to make provisions for us here on
    earth. I seethe with indignation at male, female, disabled toilets and
    no other, ditto for cars, motorbikes, bicycles but none for small
    space vehicles. Luckily, in the digital world, there is much to be
    thankful for, no wonder I rarely venture out.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 11, 2012
  20. Tim W

    William Gill Guest

    On 7/11/2012 12:45 AM, William Gill wrote:
    > On 7/10/2012 6:45 PM, dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <jti9ft$j0l$>,
    >> Tim W <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now here's a thing. I have retrieved a CSS file from the server. It has
    >>> no line breaks in it, one long line. I go through it in notepad++
    >>> hitting the return key (385 times)

    >> er... Many good editors, or at least some good editors allow you to do
    >> this in one go. Mine, for example can "hard wrap" at any number of
    >> characters one chooses for any selected text.
    >>

    > I'm guessing the source CSS file had cr and lf characters removed to
    > "compress" the file, since a semicolon is the only line end required by
    > CSS. NP++ has an extended find/replace capability to reformat it for
    > human consumption (and humanoid consumption too, dorayme).

    My last reply was only half an answer to the OP, so Tim:

    From what I'm seeing, your documents ultimate home is a linux server
    (you didn't say, but all indications are that they are html and css
    documents). So what I would do is treat them as UNIX format wherever
    possible to avoid having any text editor "correcting" things along the way.

    1) Set NP++: preferences > New Document/Default Directory > format=UNIX
    for any new documents you create.

    2) When editing existing docs (in NP++) pay attention to the status bar
    to insure they are "UNIX". If not, convert them: edit > EOL conversion
    > UNIX format

    3) try to avoid using Notepad, as it just confuses the situation, and
    lacks any real option flexibility.

    4) see if your CMS editor has options similar to those we just went over
    in NP++. If not and it is a Win program it's a it probably uses DOS
    line ends (i.e. [CR][LF]), but that's a guess.

    As for your CSS files, don't waste your time manually entering [return].
    The next few steps are based on much educated guesswork, so take them
    with a metric ton (inflation for a grain + allowance for my guesswork)
    of salt.

    Your CMS editor may be seeing the ".css" file extension, and
    "optimizing" the file by eliminating "unnecessary" line end characters.
    Valid CSS statements must be terminated with a semicolon. Programs
    that use them (i.e. browsers) don't mind the long unbroken stream you
    report. Eliminating the "unnecessary" line ends saves byte space.
    Unfortunately, organic lifeforms prefer to see statements on individual
    lines. So:

    1) Check your CMS Editor for any option that may effect this "optimizing
    ", or "compression". If any exist see if you can eliminate your problem
    by changing them.

    2) If you open a CSS file in NP++, and it is w/o line ends use the built
    in find/replace to restore them:
    Find what: ;
    Replace with: ;\n
    Search Mode Extended (\n,\r,...)

    3) Optionally rename your css files to .txt (you can just append .txt
    like filename.css.txt) before uploading, and change them back after. In
    lieu of editor options this should fool the CMS editor into not
    automatically optimizing the file.

    If your problem persists, or is only partially addresses, you may have
    to look at character encoding differences, but let's cross that bridge
    if and when we have to.

    Let me know if this helps.
    William Gill, Jul 11, 2012