    scroll?

    I hope you know what I mean...

    Thank you.

    CyberDog, Jul 8, 2005

  2. CyberDog

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, CyberDog <> said:

    > What is the text field type/setting that forces continius set of
    > characters to brake into the next line rather than displaying horizontal
    > scroll?

    There isn't one.

    Server-side, in your language of choice, you can insert spaces, hyphens
    or other characters which allow breaking after every nn characters. But
    there is nothing in HTML to achieve what you want.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jul 8, 2005

  3. CyberDog

    CyberDog Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Server-side, in your language of choice, you can insert spaces, hyphens
    > or other characters which allow breaking after every nn characters. But
    > there is nothing in HTML to achieve what you want.

    Actually the problem is server side because script outputs a very long
    URL that cannot be placed in <a> tag therefore it needs to be placed in
    the textbox so my page would not be corrupt.

    Inserting brakes after some number of characters could be easy done but
    then when the user copys the url it will be broken apart when pasted... :(

    CyberDog, Jul 8, 2005
  4. CyberDog

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, CyberDog <> said:

    > Actually the problem is server side because script outputs a very long
    > URL that cannot be placed in <a> tag

    Why not?

    > therefore it needs to be placed in
    > the textbox so my page would not be corrupt.

    Define corrupt in this context?

    > Inserting brakes after some number of characters could be easy done but
    > then when the user copys the url it will be broken apart when pasted... :(

    Chances are that would happen regardless of whether the browser wrapped
    the text itself, or you add characters in to make it wrap.

    Mark Parnell, Jul 8, 2005
  5. CyberDog

    CyberDog Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Why not?
    > Define corrupt in this context?

    The link presented to user is for safe keeping, not for clicking on,
    therefore it must be displayed as regular text so the user could copy
    it. Without textbox the page horizontally scrolls and I don't like it :)

    > Chances are that would happen regardless of whether the browser wrapped
    > the text itself, or you add characters in to make it wrap.

    I will try &nbsp;

    CyberDog, Jul 8, 2005
  6. CyberDog

    CyberDog Guest

    CyberDog wrote:
    > --

    Oh, yes, feel free to see for yourself:
    http://www.omega17.net/filebuffer/

    Just choose .txt or something then click subbmit if you want to try it out.

    CyberDog, Jul 8, 2005
  7. CyberDog <> wrote:

    > Oh, yes, feel free to see for yourself:
    > http://www.omega17.net/filebuffer/

    Why don't you start by explaining what you are really doing, and then
    specify exactly the issue that bothers you?

    > Just choose .txt or something then click subbmit if you want to try
    > it out.

    What do you mean by choosing .txt, and which of the Greek or Hebrew or
    whatever buttons is "subbmit"? And what is that "it" that we should
    try?

    I can only see that you have some cryptic text prefilled in a textarea.
    That's almost always a sure symptom of not understanding what a
    textarea is.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 8, 2005
  8. CyberDog

    CyberDog Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Why don't you start by explaining what you are really doing, and then
    > specify exactly the issue that bothers you?

    I have made a file shareing scipt, user uploads a file, it's encoded
    with a random code that he gets in a form of a link at the end, and a
    delete dink as well. The file can only be accessed with that link, and
    youser can select the max usage number or a time limit in days.

    The problem is how to display a long set od characters without
    corrupting the page, no spaces no breaks.

    I've fixed it by useing a input field and a small java script that
    selects all of the text when the field is clicked on.

    > What do you mean by choosing .txt, and which of the Greek or Hebrew or
    > whatever buttons is "subbmit"?

    The only button on the page.

    >And what is that "it" that we should
    > try?

    Whell, no, just the kind person who acctually tried to help me....

    > I can only see that you have some cryptic text prefilled in a textarea.
    > That's almost always a sure symptom of not understanding what a
    > textarea is.

    It was a disabled field with disclaimer in it. Yes, it was a bad idea
    not by missusing the textarea but because the great and holy IE does not
    allow scrolling disabled fields, it has been replaced by plain text.

    CyberDog, Jul 9, 2005
  9. CyberDog <> wrote:

    >> What do you mean by choosing .txt, and which of the Greek or
    >> Hebrew or whatever buttons is "subbmit"?

    > The only button on the page.

    (The page actually contains several buttons.)

    You are not really helping us to help you, are you?

    Please do not change your forged From field before you get a clue.
    Thank you in advance.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 9, 2005
  10. CyberDog

    CyberDog Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > (The page actually contains several buttons.)

    Sorry, I asumed that you know what "Browse" means, other than that there
    are two drop-lists and one button that subbmint the form, other are
    links (AFAIK).

    > You are not really helping us to help you, are you?

    No more help is needed as I have fixed all the issues, thank you.

    > Please do not change your forged From field before you get a clue.
    > Thank you in advance.

    I do not understand? What was or will be changed?
    The script is only a day old, I'm constantly changing it... what where
    you reffering to and it isn't there now?

    CyberDog, Jul 9, 2005
  11. CyberDog

    CyberDog Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Please do not change your forged From field before you get a clue.
    > Thank you in advance.

    oh FROM field, I touhgt it sad form.

    How is it forged?

    CyberDog, Jul 9, 2005