Text from top to bottom (like Japanese)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mathias K., Jul 18, 2007.

  1. Mathias K.

    Mathias K. Guest

    Hello everyone!

    Does anyone know of a standard compliant possibility to display
    text within a html page vertically?

    Like:

    °Ó
    ¥Î
    ¤Æ

    instead of °Ó¥Î¤Æ.

    I found something called "writing mode" to control this kind of flow within
    the CSS3 specification, but afaik this is commonly supported by current
    browsers.

    So if anyone has an idea please tell me!

    ~ Mathias

    Mathias K., Jul 18, 2007

  2. Mathias K.

    SpaceGirl Guest

    On Jul 18, 10:57 pm, "Mathias K." <> wrote:
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > Does anyone know of a standard compliant possibility to display
    > text within a html page vertically?
    >
    > Like:
    >
    > °Ó
    > ¥Î
    > ¤Æ
    >
    > instead of °Ó¥Î¤Æ.
    >
    > I found something called "writing mode" to control this kind of flow within
    > the CSS3 specification, but afaik this is commonly supported by current
    > browsers.
    >
    > So if anyone has an idea please tell me!
    >
    > ~ Mathias

    Even Japanese web sites don't do this. It's not very screen friendly
    reading in columns, so I've yet to find a commercial site that does
    this -- so begs the question, why try?

    These days Japanese and Chinese is generally written left to right as
    in the West.

    SpaceGirl, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Mathias K.

    Mathias K. Guest

    Thanks for your answer.

    Actually i don't even want to display a whole text in columns from top to
    bottom and right to left, it's only one column.

    Within an online dictionary i want to display the original Japanese word in
    a vertical column in the left, and to the right there shall be the
    readings, translation and descriptions. So i want it to be written
    vertically also for practical reasons.

    Usually i could achieve this effect by putting a <br> tag between every
    character. Now here's the problem: I'm working with PHP, which is not (yet)
    UTF-8 compatible. Thus, i cannot simply split every byte (character) as i
    could do with Western language strings, since Japanese characters can be 2
    to 6 bytes long. That's why i hoped to find a HTML solution to this.

    :-\

    ~ Mathias

    Mathias K., Jul 19, 2007
  4. Mathias K.

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-07-19, SpaceGirl <> wrote:
    [...]
    > Even Japanese web sites don't do this. It's not very screen friendly
    > reading in columns, so I've yet to find a commercial site that does
    > this -- so begs the question, why try?
    >
    > These days Japanese and Chinese is generally written left to right as
    > in the West.

    Only on the web (where's there not much choice). Japanese books usually
    go top-down and newspapers are usually a mixture.

    Ben C, Jul 19, 2007
  5. Mathias K.

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-07-19, Mathias K. <> wrote:
    > Thanks for your answer.
    >
    > Actually i don't even want to display a whole text in columns from top to
    > bottom and right to left, it's only one column.
    >
    > Within an online dictionary i want to display the original Japanese word in
    > a vertical column in the left, and to the right there shall be the
    > readings, translation and descriptions. So i want it to be written
    > vertically also for practical reasons.
    >
    > Usually i could achieve this effect by putting a <br> tag between every
    > character. Now here's the problem: I'm working with PHP, which is not (yet)
    > UTF-8 compatible. Thus, i cannot simply split every byte (character) as i
    > could do with Western language strings, since Japanese characters can be 2
    > to 6 bytes long. That's why i hoped to find a HTML solution to this.
    >
    >:-\

    You could just put the word in a very narrow container since line breaks
    are allowed between Japanese characters.

    e.g.

    オンライン和英辞典

    You might of course want to put that whole div in a slightly wider one
    so the text doesn't overlap things to the right.

    Ben C, Jul 19, 2007
  6. Mathias K.

    Mathias K. Guest

    Am Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:16:46 -0500 schrieb Ben C:

    > On 2007-07-19, Mathias K. <> wrote:
    >> Thanks for your answer.
    >>
    >> Actually i don't even want to display a whole text in columns from top to
    >> bottom and right to left, it's only one column.
    >>
    >> Within an online dictionary i want to display the original Japanese word in
    >> a vertical column in the left, and to the right there shall be the
    >> readings, translation and descriptions. So i want it to be written
    >> vertically also for practical reasons.
    >>
    >> Usually i could achieve this effect by putting a <br> tag between every
    >> character. Now here's the problem: I'm working with PHP, which is not (yet)
    >> UTF-8 compatible. Thus, i cannot simply split every byte (character) as i
    >> could do with Western language strings, since Japanese characters can be 2
    >> to 6 bytes long. That's why i hoped to find a HTML solution to this.
    >>
    >>:-\

    > You could just put the word in a very narrow container since line breaks
    > are allowed between Japanese characters.
    >
    > e.g.

    > オンライン和英辞典
    >
    > You might of course want to put that whole div in a slightly wider one
    > so the text doesn't overlap things to the right.

    Dang! I didn't know linebreaks were allowed between Japanaese characters!
    ^^

    Thanks SOOOO much! :D
    It just works perfectly. ^_^

    ~ Mathias

    Mathias K., Jul 19, 2007
  7. Mathias K.

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-07-19, Mathias K. <> wrote:
    > Am Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:16:46 -0500 schrieb Ben C:

    [...]
    >> You could just put the word in a very narrow container since line breaks
    >> are allowed between Japanese characters.
    >>
    >> e.g.

    >> ?????????
    >>
    >> You might of course want to put that whole div in a slightly wider one
    >> so the text doesn't overlap things to the right.

    > Dang! I didn't know linebreaks were allowed between Japanaese characters!
    > ^^

    Not between all of them of course, you've got lenticular brackets and
    things, but that should be OK.

    In general you can line-break between ideographs. If you couldn't lines
    would get very long since there are no spaces between them.

    Ben C, Jul 19, 2007
  8. Mathias K.

    Mathias K. Guest

    Yeah that definitely makes sense. :'-)
    I kind of didn't take that into consideration. Thanks again. :)

    ~ Mathias

    Mathias K., Jul 19, 2007
  9. Mathias K.

    Animesh K Guest

    Mathias K. wrote:
    > Am Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:16:46 -0500 schrieb Ben C:

    <snip>
    >> You might of course want to put that whole div in a slightly wider one
    >> so the text doesn't overlap things to the right.

    > Dang! I didn't know linebreaks were allowed between Japanaese characters!
    > ^^
    >
    > Thanks SOOOO much! :D
    > It just works perfectly. ^_^
    >

    > ~ Mathias

    You can always keep space between successive Japanese characters. That
    way you don't have to worry about which browser is not obeying that
    rule, etc.

    Animesh K, Jul 19, 2007