text overflow ==> "..."

Eidolon

Anyone know of a way, or a control, which would allow me to clip text with a
"..." displayed at the end?

We have a product comparison page, with products lied up side by side... one
of the fields displayed is the manufacturer, and some of them have VERY long
names, so id like to when the name is long, convert it from "Mr Joe Shmoes
Super Duper Electronics Builder" to "Mr Joe Shmoes Sup..." instead of having
it crunch all the other products to the side.

Thanks in advance,
- Eidolon.

Kevin Spencer

What database are you using? This can be done directly in your SQL or Stored
Procedure.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Paul Krasucki

One idea is to test for length, as such and take a subset of the string.

string longname;

if(longname.Length > 300)
{
longname = longname.Substring(0,299);

Eidolon

Thank you to everyone who has answered thus far. None of these solutions are
quite what i meant though.

In the Windows API, there is this function PathCompactPath, defined in
SHLWAPI.dll, where you can pass in the pixel width you need a path to fit
in, and it will shorten it as it needs to to fit in the desired length.

I am looking for something similar. I have a table with a variable number of
columns, each column representing a product. The first row in each column is
the manufacturers name. i want all the columns to be the same width across
the page, so i set them in code each to
<code>width='<%=Floor(100/NumCols)%>%'.
When i get one of these really long names though, it blows that column's
width way up, and crowds the other ones off to the side. I want to be able
to have the mfg name be dynamically truncated to fit in the specified column
width (probably in pixels?). Now i think of it, this would likely be more a
client-side scripting thing.

Any ideas, or solutions, appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
- Aaron.

Hans Kesting

A possibility:
In the graphics namespace, there is a MeasureString method, that you can use
get the pixel-length of a string (using a specific font).
You could measure your name. If it shorter than you want to allow, no
problem,
else shorten the name until it fits.

Hans Kesting