    the cellpadding and reducing the table size, all to no avail. Thanks.

    http://cbcwalbrook.org/

    Dark

    darksleuth, Sep 25, 2003

  2. In post <>
    darksleuth said...

    > Hi. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me why the text on the far
    > right of this site extends off the viewable page. I've tried changing
    > the cellpadding and reducing the table size, all to no avail. Thanks.

    don't use tables for layout and don't use frames.

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
    http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/

    > http://cbcwalbrook.org/

    is it supposed to look like this?
    http://usenet.alt-html.org/screencap05.png [31k]

    --
    25/September/2003 01:15:54 pm

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=, Sep 25, 2003

  3. darksleuth

    silas Guest

    "brucie" <-html.org> wrote in message
    > In post <>
    > darksleuth said...
    >
    > > Hi. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me why the text on the far
    > > right of this site extends off the viewable page. I've tried changing
    > > the cellpadding and reducing the table size, all to no avail. Thanks.

    > don't use tables for layout and don't use frames.
    >
    > http://html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    > http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
    > http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/
    >
    > > http://cbcwalbrook.org/

    > is it supposed to look like this?
    > http://usenet.alt-html.org/screencap05.png [31k]
    >

    > --
    > 25/September/2003 01:15:54 pm

    I haven't used any frames. I've read that CSS is better than tables, I'll
    have to learn a little more about that.

    Is that really how it appeared to you? What browser are you using?

    Will using CSS make the page more cross-browser compatible?

    Thanks.

    Dark

    silas, Sep 25, 2003
  4. In post <>
    silas said...

    >>> http://cbcwalbrook.org/

    >> is it supposed to look like this?
    >> http://usenet.alt-html.org/screencap05.png [31k]

    > I haven't used any frames.

    sorry, i assumed the scrollbars everywhere were due to frames

    > I've read that CSS is better than tables,

    very

    > Is that really how it appeared to you?

    yep

    > What browser are you using?

    opera 7.2.

    > Will using CSS make the page more cross-browser compatible?

    your site will work with *any* internet browser/device that supports
    html because if CSS isn't supported you're just left with semantically
    structured html (if you markup your pages properly)

    --
    25/September/2003 01:31:14 pm

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=, Sep 25, 2003
  5. darksleuth

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    I'm using IE 6.0, and I'm not seeing anything go off the page.

    Talc Ta Matt, Sep 25, 2003
  6. darksleuth

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >Will using CSS make the page more cross-browser compatible?

    CSS does nothing in terms of how the end user (the surfer) see's the site. It's
    a developers tool per se. Some people find it easier to code with CSS instead
    of all HTML.

    Using CSS isn't a bad thing at all, but I wouldn't feel forced to drop tables
    for DIV's yet.

    In this case, DIV's may be a bad thing. It's a church, which means some older
    people may be using the site who haven't upgraded their browsers in a long
    time. Unlike what some people will say, if the CSS DIV's don't load properly it
    can ruin the site's appearance.

    DIV's do not always degrade nicely from a presentation perspective.

    Talc Ta Matt, Sep 25, 2003
  7. darksleuth

    rf Guest

    "Talc Ta Matt" <> wrote in message
    > >Will using CSS make the page more cross-browser compatible?

    > CSS does nothing in terms of how the end user (the surfer) see's the site.

    It's
    > a developers tool per se.

    Er, what?

    CSS is *all* about how the user see's the site. HTML describes the content
    and CSS describes the presentational issues.

    > Some people find it easier to code with CSS instead
    > of all HTML.

    Some people also use Windows instead of DOS :)

    > Using CSS isn't a bad thing at all, but I wouldn't feel forced to drop

    tables
    > for DIV's yet.
    >
    > In this case, DIV's may be a bad thing. It's a church, which means some

    older
    > people may be using the site who haven't upgraded their browsers in a long
    > time.

    All browsers from version 4 up have enough CSS support to achieve what the
    OP has constructed, and do it better without, for example, the text flowing
    off the right hand side of the canvas with no horizontal scroll bar.

    > Unlike what some people will say, if the CSS DIV's don't load properly it
    > can ruin the site's appearance.

    This directly contradicts your opening statement above.

    > DIV's do not always degrade nicely from a presentation perspective.

    If the author has done a good job then yes, the do.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 25, 2003
  8. darksleuth

    > I'm using IE 6.0, and I'm not seeing anything go off the page.

    Make your canvas a bit narrower, about 600 pixels.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 25, 2003
  9. darksleuth

    rf Guest

    "darksleuth" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me why the text on the far
    > right of this site extends off the viewable page. I've tried changing
    > the cellpadding and reducing the table size, all to no avail. Thanks.
    >
    > http://cbcwalbrook.org/

    What brucie said but to make the site usable until you get the errors fixed
    simply remove the bit where you yourself have suggested that the content
    extends off the viewable page:

    body{

    overflow:scroll;overflow-x:hidden

    }

    You might also rethink why the table containing the right two columns has
    width=75%. With this you get a page that is wider than the canvas at less
    than about 800 pixel canvas width. Couple this with the above CSS and you
    get content that can not be viewed.

    Cheers

    Richard.

    rf, Sep 25, 2003