text rollover in opera6

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jack, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. jack

    jack Guest

    Hello folks. I have the following CSS that sets the properties for links so
    when the mouse rolls over the link the colour changes to yellow, the font
    weight increases and the text is capitalised.

    a:hover{
    font-family:Verdana, arial;
    font-size:10pt;
    text-transform:uppercase;
    font-weight:900;
    color: #FFFF00;
    }

    It works fine in IE and Netscape but not in opera.
    There are 2 problems:-
    1) The text-transform to capital doesn't work at all
    2) When the font weight increases, in IE/Netscape all the text is displayed
    but in Opera the text is not allowed to expand the space it occupies. The
    weight increases but the end of the text is cut off
    Does anyone know why? and there a way to correct this?
    Thanks.
    jack, Sep 6, 2003

  2. jack wrote:

    > It works fine in IE and Netscape but not in opera.
    > There are 2 problems:-
    > 1) The text-transform to capital doesn't work at all
    > 2) When the font weight increases, in IE/Netscape all the text is displayed
    > but in Opera the text is not allowed to expand the space it occupies. The
    > weight increases but the end of the text is cut off
    > Does anyone know why? and there a way to correct this?

    No, it is a problem with the Opera rendering engine prior to version 7.
    The HTML cannot reflow to take into account of parts of the page that
    change size.

    This causes all kinds of problems with some CSS hovers and JavaScript and
    is the main reason for the complete rewrite of the rendering engine in
    Opera 7.

    My suggestion is to either stop using the "font-weight:bold;" or just be
    content that there are more Opera 7 users than Opera 6. :)

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 6, 2003

  3. jack

    jack Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message
    > jack wrote:
    >
    > > It works fine in IE and Netscape but not in opera.
    > > There are 2 problems:-
    > > 1) The text-transform to capital doesn't work at all
    > > 2) When the font weight increases, in IE/Netscape all the text is

    displayed
    > > but in Opera the text is not allowed to expand the space it occupies.

    The
    > > weight increases but the end of the text is cut off
    > > Does anyone know why? and there a way to correct this?

    > No, it is a problem with the Opera rendering engine prior to version 7.
    > The HTML cannot reflow to take into account of parts of the page that
    > change size.
    >
    > This causes all kinds of problems with some CSS hovers and JavaScript and
    > is the main reason for the complete rewrite of the rendering engine in
    > Opera 7.
    >
    > My suggestion is to either stop using the "font-weight:bold;" or just be
    > content that there are more Opera 7 users than Opera 6. :)
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto: |

    pgp:0x6A2A7D39
    > aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/ | "You've got spam!"
    > playing://(nothing)

    Thanks for the fast and informative reply
    jack, Sep 6, 2003