    Jim Jones Guest

    Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
    and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?
    Jim Jones, Jul 19, 2006

  2. Jim Jones

    Guest

    Jim Jones wrote:
    > Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
    > and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

    There is a OTS wrapper.
    , Jul 19, 2006

  3. On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:44:28 GMT, "Jim Jones" <>

    > Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
    > and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

    I've not heard of ANY language/library that supports that... You are
    asking for an application that can parse natural language AND UNDERSTAND
    the contents of that language to rewrite it...

    Not even the AI realm has succeeded at that, to my knowledge (just
    look at some of the garbage BabelFish produces...)

    Language syntax may be easy.... semantics is much harder.

    Consider the old "Time flies like an arrow"... Is "Time" a verb?
    [use a stopwatch to time flies between a start and end, as with an arrow
    shot from bow]. An adjective? [blue-tail flies, house-flies, ...
    time-flies]. Is "like" the verb [squirrels like an acorn]...
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 19, 2006
  4. Jim Jones

    Duncan Booth Guest

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of
    > text, and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

    If you are on Windows you could use COM to stuff the text into a Word
    document and then use Word's autosummarize feature to generate the summary.

    However, even Microsoft admit that "It’s unlikely that Word will create the
    exact summary that you need. You will need to do some editing of the
    summary."
    Duncan Booth, Jul 19, 2006
  5. Jim Jones

    Simon Forman Guest