Text Summarization

Jim Jones

Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

gatti

Jim said:
Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

There is a OTS wrapper.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?
I've not heard of ANY language/library that supports that... You are
asking for an application that can parse natural language AND UNDERSTAND
the contents of that language to rewrite it...

Not even the AI realm has succeeded at that, to my knowledge (just
look at some of the garbage BabelFish produces...)

Language syntax may be easy.... semantics is much harder.

Consider the old "Time flies like an arrow"... Is "Time" a verb?
[use a stopwatch to time flies between a start and end, as with an arrow
shot from bow]. An adjective? [blue-tail flies, house-flies, ...
time-flies]. Is "like" the verb [squirrels like an acorn]...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Duncan Booth

Jim said:
Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of
text, and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?
If you are on Windows you could use COM to stuff the text into a Word
document and then use Word's autosummarize feature to generate the summary.

However, even Microsoft admit that "It’s unlikely that Word will create the
exact summary that you need. You will need to do some editing of the
summary."