    markup would be ideal)?

    (Email: <>, but first subtract 275 and reverse
    the last two letters).

    phil hunt, Jan 3, 2004

  2. phil hunt

    Paul Rubin Guest

    ess (phil hunt) writes:
    > Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    > written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    > modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    > and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    > markup would be ideal)?

    I really wish Wikipedia, BBCodes, and all that would just use regular
    HTML instead of continually inventing new "simplified" markup codes
    for users to remember. The one thing they do that's useful is convert
    blank lines to <p>.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 3, 2004

  3. phil hunt

    John Hunter Guest

    phil> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program,
    phil> ideally written in Python because I'll probably be wanting
    phil> to make small modifications to it, which is simple and
    phil> straightforward to use and which uses a simple markup
    phil> language (something like Wikipedia markup would be ideal)?

    Structured text is one of the simplest markups around (and
    sufficiently powerful to make nice looking hardcopy) and is well
    supported in python

    http://www.zope.org/Members/millejoh/structuredText

    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/rst/quickstart.html

    Beyond that, search google groups for

    structured text group:*python*

    Here's a link to a post from me about the conversion of one of the old
    diehards in our hospital to structured text:
    http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2002-May/115243.html.

    JDH

    John Hunter, Jan 3, 2004
  4. phil hunt

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    phil hunt <> pisze:

    > Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    > written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    > modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    > and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    > markup would be ideal)?

    Try PyTextile: http://www.diveintomark.org/projects/pytextile -- it's
    Python implementation of Dean Allen's original PHP Textile.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Unregistered Linux User #-1

    Jarek Zgoda, Jan 3, 2004
  5. phil hunt

    phil hunt Guest

    On 02 Jan 2004 22:18:56 -0800, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > (phil hunt) writes:
    >> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    >> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    >> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    >> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    >> markup would be ideal)?

    >I really wish Wikipedia, BBCodes, and all that would just use regular
    >HTML instead of continually inventing new "simplified" markup codes
    >for users to remember. The one thing they do that's useful is convert
    >blank lines to <p>.

    Wikipedia markup is significantly easier to use than HTML. Compare:

    This is a ''list'':
    * A list
    * [http://www.cabalamat.org/ my website]
    * [http://slashdot.org/ Slashdot]

    With:

    <ul>
    </ul>

    phil hunt, Jan 3, 2004
  6. phil hunt

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    phil hunt:
    >Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    >written in Python [...] which uses a simple markup language
    >(something like Wikipedia markup would be ideal)?

    "reStructuredText is an easy-to-read, what-you-see-is-what-you-get
    plaintext markup syntax and parser system. The reStructuredText parser is
    a component of Docutils. reStructuredText is a revision and
    reinterpretation of the StructuredText and Setext lightweight markup
    systems."
    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#what-is-restructuredtext

    "Structured Text is a simple plain text markup format used by Zope and
    many Zope products, invented by.. JimFulton? ? The idea is to have text
    that is easy to read both in source and rendered form."
    http://dev.zope.org/Members/jim/StructuredTextWiki/FrontPage/

    --
    René Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman, Jan 3, 2004
  7. On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 05:51:33 +0000, ess (phil

    I like http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/, used it to design my homepage.
    --
    http://www.homepages.lu/pu/

    Patrick Useldinger, Jan 3, 2004
  8. phil hunt

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    phil hunt wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    > written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    > modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    > and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    > markup would be ideal)?

    How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    the <pre> tag in HTML?

    Jeff Schwab, Jan 3, 2004
  9. phil hunt

    John Roth Guest

    "phil hunt" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    > written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    > modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    > and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    > markup would be ideal)?

    There's an old saying that's attributed to a lot of people:

    For every hard problem, there is a solution that is simple,
    obvious and wrong.

    Markup seems to be one of those problems. Lots of people
    look at the existing markup languages out there, go "oh, yuck!,"
    and invent a simpler markup language that promptly starts growing
    until it reaches the state of the languages they originally rejected
    as too complex.

    John Roth

    John Roth, Jan 3, 2004
  10. phil hunt

    phil hunt Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:05:54 -0500, Jeff Schwab <> wrote:
    >phil hunt wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    >> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    >> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    >> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    >> markup would be ideal)?

    >How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    >the <pre> tag in HTML?

    I wasn't aware troff did HTML output.

    >Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    >the <pre> tag in HTML?

    Yuk.

    phil hunt, Jan 4, 2004
  11. phil hunt

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    phil hunt wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:05:54 -0500, Jeff Schwab <> wrote:
    >
    >>phil hunt wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    >>>written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    >>>modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    >>>and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    >>>markup would be ideal)?

    >>How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    >>the <pre> tag in HTML?

    > I wasn't aware troff did HTML output.

    There are separate utilities to do the translation. I have
    groff/grohtml on my linux machine; I think there's something different
    on my Solaris box.

    >>Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    >>the <pre> tag in HTML?

    > Yuk.

    Simple.

    Of course, one *could* just use HTML, and stop whining. :)

    Jeff Schwab, Jan 4, 2004
  12. phil hunt

    Reinier Post Guest

    phil hunt wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    >written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    >modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    >and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    >markup would be ideal)?

    Last time I looked for it, I Googled for

    txt2html

    and found a program of that name based on

    txt2tex

    I haven't used them heavily.

    There are other "plaintext with conventions" text formats out there,
    but I can't find my pointers to them.

    --
    Reinier

    Reinier Post, Jan 8, 2004