    Is there a program that easily let me view huge files without being slow?
    Norton Commander for DOS was able to immediately view any file of any size
    scrolling from beginning or end of file. No time needed to load the file.
    Jan, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Jan

    Guest

    , Oct 28, 2004

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Tried both. Ultraedit is too slow, i.e. it takes minutes to open (view) a
    150MB file - otherwise it looks good. Gvim appears to have quite a user
    threshold, a GUI-like interface would be preferable.

    Jan, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Jan

    Jeff Kish Guest

    pfe32.exe (programmers editor.. no longer in development) loads fairly
    quickly, and I have had it load 100M files before.

    find it via google.

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:32:49 +0200, "Jan" <> wrote:

    >Is there a program that easily let me view huge files without being slow?
    >Norton Commander for DOS was able to immediately view any file of any size
    >scrolling from beginning or end of file. No time needed to load the file.

    Jeff Kish
    Jeff Kish, Oct 29, 2004
  5. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Gvim appears the quickest, it takes about 15 seconds to open a 150MB file -
    though I prefer looking for something as quick as DOS Norton Commander (less
    than 1 second). Both PFE32 and Ultraedit takes plenty of time to view a
    file.

    Tried turning off wrap in gvim easy 6.3, but I seem to stumble though I find
    the command nowrap, I have a problem making it work, I probably fail in how
    I enter commands.

    Jan, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Jan wrote:

    > Gvim appears the quickest, it takes about 15 seconds to open a 150MB file -
    > though I prefer looking for something as quick as DOS Norton Commander (less
    > than 1 second). Both PFE32 and Ultraedit takes plenty of time to view a
    > file.

    An editor that reads a 150MB in 1 second is rather unlikely.
    If the file has to be read from disk you are limited by
    the speed of your hard disk (usually about 50 MB/s on PCs).
    When opening the file for a seconds time, the operating
    system still has the file in its buffers and opening within
    1 second seems possible.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Symantec Norton Commander simply reads the beginning or end of file
    (Ctrl-End) and then lets you scroll. The other programs appear to load
    the entire file for editing, it's viewing that's my prime concern -
    though a quick and user friendly editor is nice.

    If I figure out how to enter the nowrap commande in gvim, it would be
    one one of the fastest editors I've seen.

    Jan, Dec 10, 2004