Text::Wrap::wrap difference

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Art Werschulz, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Hi.

    I have moved from a Solaris box (running perl 5.6.0) to an Intel Linux
    box (running perl 5.8.0).

    I have a script that processes msgs I get from certain mailing lists
    (which procmail kindly puts into files for me). It wordwraps the msgs
    (since some of them have ridiculously long lines) and replaces certain
    encoded chars by their plain text equivalents. It looks like this

    %<------%<--%<--%<---cut here---%<--%<--%<----------------------------
    use Text::Wrap;

    $Text::Wrap::columns = 79;

    while (<>) {
    s/\c]/\"/g;
    s/\cA//g;
    s/\cS/--/g;
    s/\cY/\'/g;
    s/=$//;
    s/=20//;
    s/=85/.../g;
    s/=91/\'/g;
    s/=92/\'/g;
    s/=93/\"/g;
    s/=94/\"/g;
    s/=96/--/g;
    s/\205/.../g;
    s/\221/\'/g;
    s/\222/\'/g;
    s/\223/\"/g;
    s/\224/\"/g;
    s/\226/--/g;
    s/\227/.../g;
    s/\255/--/g;
    $_ = wrap("", "", $_) unless /^[^\s]+:\s/;
    print $_;
    }
    %<------%<--%<--%<---cut here---%<--%<--%<----------------------------

    I want blank lines to remain in the text. When running this script on
    the Solaris box, the blank lines are maintained. However, they
    disappear if I run this script on the Linux box.

    Why the difference between these platforms? Has something changed
    between versions 5.6 and 5.8?

    I would appreciate suggestions for making this work on the Linux box.

    Thanks.

    --
    Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
    Art Werschulz, Sep 22, 2003