    button? Is this possible by means of styles?

    Thanks!
    Steve

    coolsti, May 25, 2005

  2. coolsti <> wrote:

    > But how can I get word wrapping to also work for
    > the value field of the button?

    It's basically under the control of the browser. Get used to it.

    We might go into details on ways to try to affect browsers in this
    issue, but it's almost always a wrong question. If you need to ask, the
    text of the button is too long.

    Instead of

    <input type="submit" value=
    "I would like to subscribe to your gorgeous newsletter NOW!!!">

    use e.g.

    Subscription to our gorgeous newsletter is free:
    <input type="submit" value="subscribe">

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 25, 2005

  3. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >>But how can I get word wrapping to also work for
    >>the value field of the button?

    > It's basically under the control of the browser. Get used to it.

    Or use an image

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 25, 2005
  4. coolsti

    coolsti Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:16:30 -0400, Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >>>But how can I get word wrapping to also work for
    >>>the value field of the button?

    >> It's basically under the control of the browser. Get used to it.

    > Or use an image

    Hi, and thanks for the two replies.

    Well, perhaps in this case I was using a button when a button should not
    be used. I was using the button to give me on-click functionality in my
    tables, like to make it possible to sort by a column by clicking on its
    header.

    In the meantime I found out that I can do the same thing with just plane
    well as an id, etc. So basically I am now building my own buttons.

    Images won't work here since the text is dependent on the application.

    So now I am converting all the places where I used buttons in this manner
    to just clickable <td> tags.

    regards,
    Steve

    coolsti, May 26, 2005
  5. Jukka K. Korpela, May 26, 2005
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > Or use an image

    > Don't. Use images to convey visual information, not to obfuscate user
    > interfaces.

    Well we disagree. I don't see an issue using images for custom
    buttons.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 26, 2005
  7. "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > I don't see an issue using images for custom buttons.

    That just tells how incompletely you have considered the effects of
    using images for custom buttons. It's relatively easy to list down a
    dozen problems; and as soon as you _start thinking_ about it, you will
    find at least a few.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 26, 2005
  8. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > I don't see an issue using images for custom buttons.

    > That just tells how incompletely you have considered the effects of
    > using images for custom buttons. It's relatively easy to list down a
    > dozen problems; and as soon as you _start thinking_ about it, you will
    > find at least a few.

    Nope, can't think of a single one that I find irrelivant. So maybe you
    can help by listing all this issues that one might have? Maybe just
    1/2 dozen of them.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 26, 2005
  9. > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > > I don't see an issue using images for custom buttons.

    > > That just tells how incompletely you have considered the effects of
    > > using images for custom buttons. It's relatively easy to list down a
    > > dozen problems; and as soon as you _start thinking_ about it, you will
    > > find at least a few.

    > Nope, can't think of a single one that I find irrelivant. So maybe you
    > can help by listing all this issues that one might have? Maybe just
    > 1/2 dozen of them.

    Actually , don't bother, becuase I will probalby not agree with your
    justification, you will say I don't know anything, and it will go no
    where. Lets just end this with I disagree with you.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 26, 2005

    See for example: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/imagebutton.html

    --
    David Håsäther

    David Håsäther, May 26, 2005
  11. "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > Nope, can't think of a single one that I find irrelivant.

    I'm speechless. Well, not quite. I think you are trying to say that you
    are not going to think about the drawbacks of image buttons, and if
    someone did that for you, you would discard any information as
    "irrelivant".

    That is, more or less, what I said.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/