text wrapping in input type button?

coolsti

Hi,

I am working with tables which contain in its <td> cells both simple
strings and <input type="button"> fields. The standard word wrapping for
the simple strings works well, when I specify a width to the <td> tag. But
how can I get word wrapping to also work for the value field of the
button? Is this possible by means of styles?

Thanks!
Steve

Jukka K. Korpela

coolsti said:
But how can I get word wrapping to also work for
the value field of the button?

It's basically under the control of the browser. Get used to it.

We might go into details on ways to try to affect browsers in this
issue, but it's almost always a wrong question. If you need to ask, the
text of the button is too long.

Instead of

<input type="submit" value=
"I would like to subscribe to your gorgeous newsletter NOW!!!">

use e.g.

Subscription to our gorgeous newsletter is free:
<input type="submit" value="subscribe">

coolsti

Or use an image

Hi, and thanks for the two replies.

Well, perhaps in this case I was using a button when a button should not
be used. I was using the button to give me on-click functionality in my
tables, like to make it possible to sort by a column by clicking on its
header.

In the meantime I found out that I can do the same thing with just plane
well as an id, etc. So basically I am now building my own buttons.

Images won't work here since the text is dependent on the application.

So now I am converting all the places where I used buttons in this manner
to just clickable <td> tags.

regards,
Steve

Travis Newbury

Jukka said:
Don't. Use images to convey visual information, not to obfuscate user
interfaces.

Well we disagree. I don't see an issue using images for custom
buttons.

Jukka K. Korpela

Travis Newbury said:
I don't see an issue using images for custom buttons.

That just tells how incompletely you have considered the effects of
using images for custom buttons. It's relatively easy to list down a
dozen problems; and as soon as you _start thinking_ about it, you will
find at least a few.

Travis Newbury

Jukka said:
That just tells how incompletely you have considered the effects of
using images for custom buttons. It's relatively easy to list down a
dozen problems; and as soon as you _start thinking_ about it, you will
find at least a few.

Nope, can't think of a single one that I find irrelivant. So maybe you
can help by listing all this issues that one might have? Maybe just
1/2 dozen of them.

Travis Newbury

Jukka said:
Nope, can't think of a single one that I find irrelivant. So maybe you
can help by listing all this issues that one might have? Maybe just
1/2 dozen of them.

Actually , don't bother, becuase I will probalby not agree with your
justification, you will say I don't know anything, and it will go no
where. Lets just end this with I disagree with you.

Jukka K. Korpela

Travis Newbury said:
Nope, can't think of a single one that I find irrelivant.

I'm speechless. Well, not quite. I think you are trying to say that you
are not going to think about the drawbacks of image buttons, and if
someone did that for you, you would discard any information as
"irrelivant".

That is, more or less, what I said.