text wrapping in javax.microedition.lcdui.List

Igor Vukomanovic

Hello,

I have a problem with text wrapping using the List control. On MIDP 1.0
devices, the text part of the list item is wrapped, but on some MIDP 2.0
devices (6670, 6680) it is cut off if too long. I am aware of MIDP 2.0
List.setFitPolicy(TEXT_WRAP_ON) and if works fine, but I want to make a MIDP
1.0 application which can be used on MIDP 2.0 devices as well.

Any ideas? I have been thinking of run-time detection of MIDP version, but I
cannot compile the midlet using setFitPolicy for MIDP 1.0, and on the other
hand, if I compile for MIDP 2.0 the midlet won't install on MIDP 1.0 devices
(naturally).

NetBeans IDE provides a workaround using preprocessor directives, but in the
end I'd only get two separate installs, which I'd like to avoid at all
costs.

Thanks.