TextArea - Formatting text

TomT

Hi,

I've created a form that has a 3 fields.

2 textboxes (username & password)
1 TextArea (notes)

I have linked this to an access DB.

This is working well, the user enters thier Username & password, fills
in the notes field and the notes are then updated, as follows:

username - notes..notes..notes..notes..notes..
ie: Bob D - This a sample note.

This displays in the textarea fine.

Is there anyway to write the Username in Bold ?

Either

Using <b>username</b> and entering it into the DB, but how do I
display the username bold in the textarea.

Or Any other ideas ??

Thanks

Philip Ronan

.. (snip) ..
username - notes..notes..notes..notes..notes..
ie: Bob D - This a sample note.

This displays in the textarea fine.

Is there anyway to write the Username in Bold ?

Sure, how about "<B>Bob D</B> - This a sample note."

Or better still: said:
Either

Using <b>username</b> and entering it into the DB, but how do I
display the username bold in the textarea.

You can't do that. Just get rid of the <TEXTAREA> and </TEXTAREA> tags.
You'll need to write a server-side script to do the necessary processing.

I suggest you take a look at some of the bulletin board systems out there
and see how they handle it. For example, phpBB provides a "Preview" button
that you can use to see how your posts will look before you actually send
them.

Harlan Messinger

TomT said:
Hi,

I've created a form that has a 3 fields.

2 textboxes (username & password)
1 TextArea (notes)

I have linked this to an access DB.

This is working well, the user enters thier Username & password, fills
in the notes field and the notes are then updated, as follows:

username - notes..notes..notes..notes..notes..
ie: Bob D - This a sample note.

This displays in the textarea fine.

Is there anyway to write the Username in Bold ?

No. No markup is allowed inside a textarea, which is only designed to
contain plain text.

Chris Morris

TomT said:
What can I do then ??

You could use plain-text *bold*. It's generally understood as emphasis.
Any Ideas ?

Alternatively, change the storage of the notes field to be a notes
table, with username and note as fields within that. Then display them
in some other sensible way - i.e. don't display already-entered notes
inside the textarea.

You could do this without needing to change the storage format if you
did some text processing of the current notes content.

Harlan Messinger

TomT said:
What can I do then ??

First, don't top-post, because then when we get this far, when I place my
entire message comes completely out of order and no one can follow it.

Second, there's nothing you can do if you want the data to be displayed in a
text area and you want it to be variably styled. You can either display
plain text inside a text area in a uniform style, or you can display fully
styled text but not in a text area.

Why do you want it in a text area?

Jonathan N. Little

TomT said:
Hi,

I've created a form that has a 3 fields.

2 textboxes (username & password)
1 TextArea (notes)

I have linked this to an access DB.

This is working well, the user enters thier Username & password, fills
in the notes field and the notes are then updated, as follows:

username - notes..notes..notes..notes..notes..
ie: Bob D - This a sample note.

This displays in the textarea fine.

Is there anyway to write the Username in Bold ?

Either

Using <b>username</b> and entering it into the DB, but how do I
display the username bold in the textarea.

Or Any other ideas ??

Thanks

Not in a formfield, like a textarea. they are just plain text. After the
post you could have your cgi generate the message in a DIV with
formatting via your script, or use javascript to 'mirror' the input to
DIV for DHTML supported browsers if you want to show it formatted
dynamically before posting form