Textarea objects instead of text boxes in datagrids

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by J. Muenchbourg, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. How do I specify inside a datagrid that does edits/updates, that a
    certain field should display its contents in TEXTAREA html objects, not
    text box controls. See tag in boundcolumn/datagrid control:

    <asp:BoundColumn
    DataField="sampleletext"
    HeaderText="Sample Text">
    </asp:BoundColumn>

    ...and if I can put a textarea object in a datagrid, will I use the
    .text method to parse the data from that field name when calling my sql
    parameters and such:

    MyCommand.Parameters.Add(New SQLParameter("@sampletext",
    sampletext.text))

    ...when I tried using this reference to display "sampletext" inside a
    textarea:

    Dim sampletext As textarea = E.Item.cells(5).Controls(0)

    ...i got a "Type 'textarea' is not defined" error.

    I know inside a <asp:textbox> control tag , you can specify
    TEXTMODE="MultiLine" as an attribute, but as far as generating one
    withint a datagrid, i can't find an answer

    thanks for help
    Muench

    J. Muenchbourg, Jul 7, 2004