textarea question

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by jackwootton@gmail.com, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Aug 9, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Surely I am committing a cardinal sin by posting a link to an old
    > post,

    Not generally. One could do better, though. For example:

    - If the referred article is old (say, more than 2 weeks), you should quote
    the relevant parts so that one does not need Web access to follow your
    question.

    If the referred article is likely to be available on a news server
    (say, posted up to 2 weeks ago), you could also post the Message-ID
    so there is quick access to it with a viable newsreader application.

    - If the referred article is new (as in this case, it's only about 7
    days since publication!), reply to it in the original thread.
    However, that would not apply to the following:

    > but I really am getting desperate and just can't find a solution.
    > Can anyone help with my textarea problem described in the
    > link below?

    Referring to a brand-new thread initiated by yourself, is probably perceived
    as being obtrusive. Think about the possibilities:

    A. Nobody is interested in that problem (or your postings, which is not
    unlikely for postings coming from Google's buggy Web interface).

    B. Nobody knows the solution.

    C. Nobody is willing to post the solution.

    Do you really think any of that is going to change with another reference to
    the problem?

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 9, 2007