TextBox and Passwords

Gary Coutts

Hi,

When you set a textbox's TextMode to password, does this just stop the
password being displayed on the client machine or does it send the data to
the server encrypted.

Cheers

gwc

Guest

No it just means that it renders an HTML input tag of type password instead
of of type text, so it displays *** instead of the text you enter into it.
No encryption takes place.

Gary Coutts

So does that mean that the password data is sent as plaintext back to the
server on a postback.

How do you protected against this data being snooped. As I presume to
encrypt it the data needs to be sent to the server for encryption.

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Gary said:
So does that mean that the password data is sent as plaintext back to the
server on a postback.

Yes, that's correct.
How do you protected against this data being snooped. As I presume to
encrypt it the data needs to be sent to the server for encryption.

That's what SSL (HTTPS) is for.

HTH,
Laurent

Guest

Yes the password is sent plain text. to encrypt it you need to use SSL on
the server.