Textbox Tooltip altered by javascript is not seen by code to save it

john

I have the following textbox setup with Text & ToolTip Bindings as follows;
I'm using Visual Studio 2008 VB:

<asp:TextBox ID="txtDay1" runat="server"

Text='<%# Eval("Day1") %>' Width="30px"

ToolTip='<%# Eval("M1") %>'></asp:TextBox>

I am changing the Text on the page by Typing it in, but the ToolTip is being
changed from another Textbox thru javascript as a memo to the first TextBox,
which is working on the page to change the ToolTip when moused over.

Problem I am having is when I try to save the new ToolTip text in my VB code
it is still seeing the original Evaluation and not the new altered ToolTip
Text, this is in a Datalist Control

Here is the VB Code, the change to the Text of the TextBox is being picked
up by this code, just not the tooltip(Code Simplified).

Dim D As TextBox = Me.DataListTime.Items.Item(i).FindControl("txtDay1")

..Day1 = D.Text 'Sees Changes Okay

..M1 = D.ToolTip 'Only sees Original, not changes thru javascript

Thanks for any help

John

bruce barker

the browser does not postback the tooltip value. you will need the
javascript to copy it to a hidden field.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

john

Thanks for the info, I was originally using the Hidden fields in that way
but because this is a Time sheet Datalist and they want 16 Textboxes for
Input per row. I am getting slower Browser performance with each new row
added to the Datalist and with a Hidden Field for each of those to store a
Memo for each Textbox was Doubling my Control overload.

So I was trying to eliminate those as it did help performance when I did, is
there any way to do a Request to the Browser for the ToolTip(title)
Attribute or another way that is efficient. Right now I'm thinking a
JavaScript Array if I can't get to the altered ToopTip, but not sure how to
get the data in the Javascript Array back on the server?

Thanks

bruce barker

the only way to send a javascript array back is thru a hidden field. the
javascript can add the hidden fields, there is no need to render them.
on serverside just fetch from the hidden field values from the forms
collection.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for Bruce's input.

Hi John,

I agree that hidden form field is the only approach for you to carry some
data back to server during postback. If you do not want to use hidden field
for each textbox element, you can consider using a single hidden field and
use script to compress all the tooltip info into that hidden field(use a
separator char to divide them). How do you think?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

john

Thanks guys, I had just begun experimenting with the single hidden field
approach, my first attempt was to just use it as one big var with
separators, but soon realized it could not handle multiple edits to the same
ToolTip and return just 1 edited version of the ToolTip.

So now I am setting a an JS Array with the Primary KeyID of each Row as the
index control for the Array, with each Textbox on the row having a separator
and then write all of that to the hidden field, hopfully that approach will
allow edits to the Array, I'll post it when I get some result.
Thanks again

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply John,

Sure, look forward to your good news.