Textfield different colors in IE only..

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Robert Mark Bram, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Howdy All!

    Below is a short extract of a larger page that still shows the defect in
    question.

    When I view the document below in IE 6, the first text field, address, is
    shown in white, while the second text field is shown in yellow. I cannot
    account for this - the syntax for both is the same! This only occurs in IE -
    not in Netscape or Opera..

    Any ideas would be most appreciated!

    Rob
    :)

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" />
    <head>
    <title>MCD 1410, Trimester 1, 2004. Major Assignment</title>
    </head>
    <form name="ContactEntry" >
    <fieldset>
    <legend>Enter new contact details here</legend>
    name="ContactEntryAddress" size="40"></td>
    name="ContactEntryEmail" size="40"></td>
    </fieldset>
    </form>

    Robert Mark Bram, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Robert Mark Bram

    rf Guest

    "Robert Mark Bram" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy All!
    >
    > Below is a short extract of a larger page that still shows the defect in
    > question.

    What defect? Oh, you mean the difference you mention in your subject.

    > When I view the document below in IE 6, the first text field, address, is
    > shown in white, while the second text field is shown in yellow. I cannot
    > account for this - the syntax for both is the same! This only occurs in

    IE -
    > not in Netscape or Opera..
    >
    > Any ideas would be most appreciated!

    <snip code>

    The code you provided (after I labourously copy/pasted it into my browser)
    works fine, probably because I am totally missing your CSS file.

    Provide a URL next time.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Robert Mark Bram

    Els Guest

    Robert Mark Bram wrote:

    > Howdy All!
    >
    > Below is a short extract of a larger page that still shows the defect in
    > question.
    >
    > When I view the document below in IE 6, the first text field, address, is
    > shown in white, while the second text field is shown in yellow. I cannot
    > account for this - the syntax for both is the same! This only occurs in IE -
    > not in Netscape or Opera..
    >
    > Any ideas would be most appreciated!

    I'm not sure of this, but I recently read a similar
    question, and the answer was that it had to do with the
    Google bar, which might give color to a text field.
    Can't reproduce it with my own Google bar, but I'm positive
    I read something like that.

    --
    Els

    Mente humana é como pára-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

    Els, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Robert Mark Bram

    P.J.M. Smit Guest

    not in mine
    Peter
    "Robert Mark Bram" <> schreef in
    bericht news:4031ec22$0$4255$...

    P.J.M. Smit, Feb 17, 2004
  5. > The code you provided (after I labourously copy/pasted it into my browser)
    > works fine, probably because I am totally missing your CSS file.
    >
    > Provide a URL next time.

    Sorry to inconvenience you Dick. I laboriously checked and double checked
    the file and somehow managed not to find reference to a CSS file.

    Don't answer my posts next time.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Robert Mark Bram, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Hi Els!

    > > When I view the document below in IE 6, the first text field, address,

    is
    > > shown in white, while the second text field is shown in yellow. I cannot
    > > account for this - the syntax for both is the same! This only occurs in

    IE -
    > > not in Netscape or Opera..

    > I'm not sure of this, but I recently read a similar
    > question, and the answer was that it had to do with the
    > Google bar, which might give color to a text field.
    > Can't reproduce it with my own Google bar, but I'm positive
    > I read something like that.

    Thank you very much for the response. I do indeed have the Google Toolbar
    and did some searching with your hints in mind - you are right:

    There is an 'AutoFill' option on the Google Toolbar (switched on by
    default), that will 'helpfully' highlight form fields with certain names
    such as 'email' or 'name'.
    Source: http://www.htmldog.com/ptg/archives/000017.php

    After I turn the autofill function off, the web page returns to a normal
    display!

    Thank you again!

    Rob
    :)