Textmode = Password

William Gower

I have a password mode field in a user record, when I go to fill the field
from an existing record I see nothing in the field, when I take the
textmode="password" off then I see the password

password.text = row("password")

Teemu Keiski

It is a security caution. In password mode TextBox is read-only (from
programmatic standpoint e.g it can be filled only by the user by typing)

--
Teemu Keiski
http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke

I have a password mode field in a user record, when I go to fill the field
from an existing record I see nothing in the field, when I take the
textmode="password" off then I see the password

password.text = row("password")

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Sending the password in plain text to the browser is a bad idea from a
security standpoint so the default security settings discourage it.
(Anybody can do a view source for the page
and see the password)

However there is a workaround if you're determined. You can set the
password text via client side script.
Here's the simplest example I've seen:

MyPWTextBox.Attributes.Add("value", strPassword)

This server side code outputs the needed client side code

grundt

You can get around the "read-only" limitation (which will cause the mask
characters to display) by:

password.Attributes.Add("value",row("password"))