    http://www.kdevelop.org
    http://www.suse.com
    http://www.mozilla.org
    Steven T. Hatton, Apr 9, 2004

  2. On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:09:53 -0400, Steven T. Hatton
    <> wrote:

    > In TC++PL(SE) Stroustrup asserts there is a companion reference called
    > _The
    > Annotated C++ Language Standard_ by Koenig & Stroustrup. It doesn't show
    > up on a google. What gives here? I know there is mention of a problem
    > here: http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#ARM I guess this is the
    > same work? This seems to mean there is a complete reference manual
    > written
    > by the two most qualified authors laying fallow. I find that disturbing.

    You can still get it from Amazon[1] but it's very out of date now. I
    guess most of the core language coverage is still relevant but I'd
    consider it neither complete nor reliable today and that's what you need
    in a book like this. It seems unlikely that this will be updated, partly
    due to issues with ISO but also because the market has matured to the
    point where there are a few standard texts these days that cover
    everything from most perspectives. An alternative you might want to take
    a look at is Brokken's C++ Annotations[2].

    [1]
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201514591/002-9019986-7328842?v=glance
    [2] http://www.icce.rug.nl/documents/

    --
    Mike Higginbottom
    http://www.peak41.co.uk
    Mike Higginbottom, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Mike Higginbottom wrote:

    > You can still get it from Amazon[1] but it's very out of date now.

    Until I reread the chapter, I thought the same thing. But that is Ellis &
    Stroustrup. The one I was talking about was Koenig & Stroustrup. I have
    [1]. It is _way_ out of date.
    > guess most of the core language coverage is still relevant but I'd
    > consider it neither complete nor reliable today and that's what you need
    > in a book like this. It seems unlikely that this will be updated, partly
    > due to issues with ISO but also because the market has matured to the
    > point where there are a few standard texts these days that cover
    > everything from most perspectives. An alternative you might want to take
    > a look at is Brokken's C++ Annotations[2].

    That does look work bookmarking. I have yet to find exactly what I want.
    For example this: http://www.cppreference.com/index.html is pretty nice,
    but it falls a bit short. If I try to find all the possible syntactic
    variants of the use of /const/ by clicking the key word, all I get is a
    general definition. I'll grant you, a new ARM would probably not present
    information that way either.

    > [1]

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201514591/002-9019986-7328842?v=glance
    > [2] http://www.icce.rug.nl/documents/

    I stumbled onto this. It may be a bit too pedestrian, but it may also be
    complete enough for a core language reference:

    http://www.d.umn.edu/~jallert/cs1521/C Overview/ppframe.htm
    I've been wanting an excuse to post this one. Now I have it:
    http://www.cs.unm.edu/~mcdonald/cs108/
    --
    p->m == (*p).m == p[0].m
    http://www.kdevelop.org
    Steven T. Hatton, Apr 9, 2004
  4. "Steven T. Hatton" <> wrote:

    > In TC++PL(SE) Stroustrup asserts there is a companion reference called _The
    > Annotated C++ Language Standard_ by Koenig & Stroustrup. It doesn't show
    > up on a google. What gives here? I know there is mention of a problem
    > here: http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#ARM I guess this is the
    > same work? This seems to mean there is a complete reference manual written
    > by the two most qualified authors laying fallow. I find that disturbing.

    The simple (and I think sad) story is that we got too busy with other
    things - mostly C++ related - that we never got that ARM++ written.

    - Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs

    PS. I must find time to revise my FAQ
    Bjarne Stroustrup, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:

    > The simple (and I think sad) story is that we got too busy with other
    > things - mostly C++ related - that we never got that ARM++ written.

    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess this means I can stop grinding my axe
    with ill intent toward ISO. ;-)

    > - Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs
    >
    > PS. I must find time to revise my FAQ

    I certainly understood it as suggesting ISO was responsible for the ARM++
    not being available.

    BTW, on page 8 of TC++PL(SE) you wrote "Facilities such as dynamic loading,
    incremental compilation, and a database of type definitions can be put to
    good use without affecting the language." What were you suggesting by "a
    database of type definitions"?

    STH
    --
    p->m == (*p).m == p[0].m
    http://www.kdevelop.org
    Steven T. Hatton, Apr 10, 2004
  6. Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:

    > The simple (and I think sad) story is that we got too busy with other
    > things - mostly C++ related - that we never got that ARM++ written.

    That explanation is far more gratifying that the misunderstanding I had.

    > PS. I must find time to revise my FAQ

    Something else came to mind regarding this topic. Since TC++PL(SE) was
    intended to have a companion book (according to the author, that is),
    perhaps recommending an alternative would be a sufficient means of
    addressing the same need.

    For myself, what I have found lacking is a comprehensive and clear
    exposition of the core language features in the form of a reference. For
    example, I would like to be able to look up a keyword in an index, and be
    directed to a section defining the keyword, and showing an example of all
    forms of its usage. To have such a thing in electronic form would be even
    more helpful.

    As for an ARM++, that seems to be something more useful to the veteran C++
    programmer. There are many design choices represented in ISO/IEC
    14882:2003(E), but, due to the nature of the document, there is little
    communication of the motivation for the decisions. Much of this may be
    covered in D&E, which I haven't found time to read yet.

    Then there seem to be a few things in the 14882:2003(E) which not everybody
    should know. Not that they are bad. It's just that things like that are
    potentially dangerous in the wrong hands.
    --
    STH
    Hatton's Law: "There is only One inviolable Law"
    Steven T. Hatton, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:

    > PS. I must find time to revise my FAQ

    This appears to be an exceptionally good resource. It does describe C/C++
    with AIX extensions, but from what I've been able to glean, the authors did
    an honerable job of distinguishing between the extentions and the Standard.

    C for AIX, Version 6.0, C/C++ Language Reference
    http://ibmdocs.ncep.noaa.gov/c6/
    Steven T. Hatton, Apr 12, 2004