"The application has failed to start because the applicationconfiguration is incorrect"

Discussion in 'Python' started by Carl Banks, Jan 28, 2009.

  1. Carl Banks

    Carl Banks Guest

    Perhaps someone who's familiar with Windows XP and Python can figure
    this one out, because it's baffling me. I installed the following
    packages on a more or less clean XP system:

    Python 2.6.1, straight from the MSI.
    WxPython 2.8.9.1, straight from the windows installer.

    Both installed with no errors. However, all attempts to run any wx
    code resulted in the following exception:

    "Import Error: DLL load failed: The application has failed to start
    because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
    application may fix the problem."

    In fact, this seemed to be the case for any third-party extension
    module. I tried several other libraries for comparison (gtk, qt);
    they all had the same problem, and right out of the box. After a lot
    of reading I figured that I didn't have the right MSVSRT DLLs on my
    system, and that I should install the runtime redistributable packages
    from Microsoft. But I find it hard to believe the state of things in
    Windows is that you have to ask the user to install a package from
    Microsoft just to run an extension library. A package, I might add,
    that requires Adminstrative privileges. Which I don't have.

    Tkinter worked fine, BTW.

    My questions are 1. is that really what Windows extension users are
    expected to do, 2. if not, what else might be wrong, and 3. are there
    any workarounds?

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Jan 28, 2009

  2. Re: "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect"

    Hi!

    I have a similar problem, with Python 2.6.1 and pywin32. Since python
    2.6.1.
    Return to 2.6: OK ; re-install 2.6.1: the problem return.
    No solution to this day.
    The problem is known, but not resolved
    In the expectation, I stay in 2.6

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau

    Méta-MCI \(MVP\), Jan 28, 2009

  3. Carl Banks

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Jan 27, 9:16 pm, "Méta-MCI \(MVP\)"
    <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a similar problem, with Python 2.6.1 and pywin32. Since python
    > 2.6.1.
    > Return to 2.6: OK ; re-install 2.6.1: the problem return.
    > No solution to this day.
    > The problem is known, but not resolved
    > In the expectation, I stay in 2.6

    Whoa--it did NOT occur to me that the bug was in Python. Sure enough,
    bug tracker has big thread about it, and a neat fix.

    http://bugs.python.org/issue4566

    Thanks. Reverting to 2.6.0 should suffice for now.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Jan 28, 2009